The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Actually this tournament has little relevance in whether he is ready for the NHL or not.

I'm sure most people remember the average world juniors Horvat and Virtanen had. Both played in the NHL the following season however.

It will be fun to see if he can excel against the best players in his age group though.

Pretty "matter of factish" there...

Comparing Horvat or Virtanen to Pettersson is apples and oranges, as only one of those players has been playing on an entirely different continent with a different sized ice surface. Also, Horvat and Virtanen weren't expected to be able to contribute in the same way Pettersson is expected to in his rookie season.

How well Pettersson does here, especially against the top tier teams, will be the best (and only) indicator we have of how well Pettersson is able to adapt to a smaller ice surface.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

15 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am not so sure.   So much at play in a short tournament that can lead to a skewed version of what a player will turn out to be.   If you take the analogy of a playoff series, then one would have projected Cole Cassels to be able to stop Connor McDavid at NHL level - there are many, many more examples.   The players around you, the role the coaches give you and, most importantly, the way the other team focuses (or doesn't) on you.   Two years ago when the Finns had a stacked team, a 17 year old OJ led the entire tournament (tied with Were) with points by a Dman - then last year he was on a very weak (in comparison) team as an 18 year old and teams focused on him and we know how that ended.    Had nothing to do with the ice surface or speaks about his future (he is doing outstanding in his first taste of pro hockey) but it speaks about reading too much into a short tournament.

I was able to view some of the US-Sweden game last night.   The US team was concentrating on him a LOT and he was clearly struggling to find his linemates doing the things he expected them to do.   He has been playing pro for this season - some of his team has a well but not all and that can be an interesting mix (ask Virtanen).   

EP is an elite prospect that has transitioned to professional hockey without too much challenge.   He has only played on NA rinks a few times including at Canuck rookie camp and a short tournament may or may not be where he shows what he will eventually do or not do at NHL level - but it will be another step for him in that process.   I am very high on him being a very successful NHL player but am thinking he may have an uneven WJC with some flashes of brilliance coupled with some moments of "meh" but I am happy to be proven wrong.  :)

I didn't say it was an indicator of what he eventually becomes at the NHL level, but an indicator of whether or not he'll be able to make the transition SHL to NHL immediately or whether some time in the AHL is necessary in  order for him to adjust. At the end of the day, how well he shows in training camp will show us more than this tournament will in terms of NHL readiness, but at this point, tournament play is all we have in terms of playing on an NHL ice surface.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I was able to view some of the US-Sweden game last night.   The US team was concentrating on him a LOT and he was clearly struggling to find his linemates doing the things he expected them to do.   

so was it EP struggling or his line mates not being up to his level? I remember watching Juolevi at the summer prospects game last year making great passes to kids that couldn't handle them.... just wondering if it was like that?

• Upvote 1

Brock didn't have a great WJC either. I am not all that concerned if he does not have a great tournament. I think his play in the SHL is a far more meaningful sample size than a short elimination tournament. Playing on the smaller ice surface is also still an adjustment. I watched him in the summer showcase and he wasn't as good as he has been in the SHL this year. Regardless of what happens at the WJC it will not diminish my opinion of him thus far. I agree with the above poster that it might indicate that we need to be patient with him regarding him going straight to the NHL next year.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Toews said:

Brock didn't have a great WJC either. I am not all that concerned if he does not have a great tournament. I think his play in the SHL is a far more meaningful sample size than a short elimination tournament. Playing on the smaller ice surface is also still an adjustment. I watched him in the summer showcase and he wasn't as good as he has been in the SHL this year. Regardless of what happens at the WJC it will not diminish my opinion of him thus far. I agree with the above poster that it might indicate that we need to be patient with him regarding him going straight to the NHL next year.

Let's just say it's going to be a test for Pettersson playing on NA ice. He said he wants to dominate and I agree with you 100% but there are going to be fans in this fanbase that will be left disappointment if Pettersson doesn't produce at a PPG or has a sub par kind of effort. 

Edited by Odd.

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so was it EP struggling or his line mates not being up to his level? I remember watching Juolevi at the summer prospects game last year making great passes to kids that couldn't handle them.... just wondering if it was like that?

He seemed to expect people to do things they were not doing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

He’s been wing in shl and he said during his interview on tsn 1040 that he is practising on the wing for Sweden but he doesn’t know where he’s Gunna play yet. Clearly his strength is on the wing judging by his production this far 

Both Linden and Benning have said that not only did they draft him as a play-making center, they see him long-term as a center. So while I think there's a chance he may start as a winger, they will groom him to be a center due to his hockey IQ. I believe that in some of the recent games, Elias' current team tried him out at center, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's not due to a request from the Canucks.

10 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

If we won the draft lottery first overall last year, would they still have drafted Petterson? 

I think that they would have, they seem super high on him since day one.

I think they really liked Makar too. I hope they would have traded down if they won the lottery but I doubt it. They would try and sell a first overall pick to this market. 

4 minutes ago, High and Inside said:

Losing the draft lottery was a blessing in disguise. I'm stoked about this kid! We finally got a sniper in Brock and Elias can dish the puck which will be a lethal combination. Well done Jim. 

With how high they were on Elias and how sure Linden was about who he was picking I think there was a deal in place to trade down for Either Makar or EP.  He seemed disappointed when we slid in the draft and no one was going to take EP top 5.

The problem with these short tourneys is the ability to gain any line chemistry between players that have never played together. You've seen at the pro level Team Canada bring line combinations (Thornton/Marleau, Perry/Getzlaf, Crosby/Kunitz, etc.) so they don't have develop chemistry in a short period of time. Boeser had that problem at the WJC. Short tourney and no chemistry with linemates. It didn't seem to effect his development. So as much as I will be an interested observer to see how he plays on the smaller ice surface, under the scrutiny of teams that will be focusing on him, I won't be overreacting if he doesn't dominate the way we all hope, the same way I won't overreact if he doesn't play in the NHL next year as we all hope.

• Upvote 3

Look at Alex Nylander too. Led the WJC in scoring last year and has been average in the AHL this year.

WJC is a good tournament, but doesnt mean much in terms of NHL ability or readiness.

Its a comparison of Country talent level and coaching more than anything.

• Upvote 1

After making a comment like he plans to dominate the tournament; you know all the guys on team Canada and USA will be gunning for him. They will target him non stop with cheap shots and I will be surprised if he makes it our of the tourney uninjured. I hope he dominates and leads team Sweden to victory and is the talk of the hockey world after all things are done. I know he has sick dangles and silky smooth skills similar to Dahlin but I'm not sure how much he can get away with on the smaller ice in North American style hockey. 

5 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

After making a comment like he plans to dominate the tournament; you know all the guys on team Canada and USA will be gunning for him. They will target him non stop with cheap shots and I will be surprised if he makes it our of the tourney uninjured. I hope he dominates and leads team Sweden to victory and is the talk of the hockey world after all things are done. I know he has sick dangles and silky smooth skills similar to Dahlin but I'm not sure how much he can get away with on the smaller ice in North American style hockey. 

Ya, I hope the other teams didn't pick up on that comment...never the less it does show how much he wants to be a full on Superstar....with that attitude and his natural talent they sky is hardly the limit.