The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

"He played with Dahlen all year and there was good chemistry, so that even went into a part of [our decision]."

I personally wanted Glass. Seems like an extremely high skill high speed player with great character but...

I don't want to compare this too too much but as Canuck fans we know how important chemistry is. We have the Sedins who are great players individually but paired together they are that much better. We can say the same for several Sedin line mates who had more skill and pedigree than Burr but never had that chemistry. If Glass and Pettersson were extremely close to start and we already have possible chemistry with Dahlen and Pettersson, I can see where that could bump Pettersson ahead. 

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Stop worrying about his weight... for comparisons sake, here's a few guys (and their height and weight at draft day) that were also Swedes, but I'd venture to say they turned out fine...

Peter Forsberg - 5'10" / 161 lbs 

Niklas Kronwall - 5'10" / 164 lbs

Henrik Zetterberg - 5'10" / 154 lbs

If you're curious, this is where they ended up:

Peter Forsberg - 6'0" / 205 lbs 

Niklas Kronwall - 6'0" / 194 lbs

Henrik Zetterberg - 6'0" / 195 lbs

Elias will be fine.  We've got a 1C... just wait a couple years...

Wow, never knew those guys were that light on their draft days!

1 minute ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I think the player that Benning really liked that was gone by 20 was Liljegren. He tried to disguise it by not bothering to interview him.

and now he can watch as Liljegren plies his trade with Matthews, Marner and Nylander in Tdot, they will be that much more better for it, if he has a good defensive presence.

4 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

That list was ONLY FOR EUROPEAN SKATERS

He was the #5 EURO SKATER, not including North Americans

#10 sure 

#5? 

Whatever, we've done this too many times before......let Benning play at whatever he's playing at, I don't have to watch it, at least he will be enjoying the Canucks

^^60% of all stats are made up...

This one isn't though:

http://avalanche.ice.nhl.com/club/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=2&sort=finalRank&year=2017

That is the NHL CSS rankings for 2017. The European rankings have Pettersson at 2nd overall - ahead of Lias Andersson (3rd) and Miro Heiskanen (4th). Only Klim Kostin (the Blues picked him up at 31st) was ahead of him on that list.

Now, it's not untrue that 5th overall was the likely top of his draft projections, but to lie and say he wasn't ranked higher anywhere than 5th for Euro or 10th overall is completely incorrect. This is especially true with the way a lot of people were very unsure about #5-#15 (and even beyond) and how they'd play out.

I personally thought he'd go later, but in a draft where the very top tier of talent isn't as good as recent drafts, but the second tier is all very close, I can't fault Benning for going after a player with top skill - even if it comes with more risk. I can fault you for misrepresenting facts, just like the people still yammering on that he's only 150lbs.

EDIT: I'm sure there are other rankings out there too, but here's a good list of them on the EP player page for him:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=266336

Ranked #5 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #20 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #8 by Future Considerations
Ranked #11 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #2 by NHL Central Scouting (EU Skaters)
Ranked #7 by TSN/McKenzie

If BMac has him at 7 and we go just two ahead of that I'm not too bothered.

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 4

Personally, I was hoping for Glass, but this guy ticks the "skills" boxes.   What ever happened to JB's "European skill with North American heart"?

Does he have "it"?

Ask me in 5 years.

Edited by boomer29

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

This one isn't though:

http://avalanche.ice.nhl.com/club/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=2&sort=finalRank&year=2017

That is the NHL CSS rankings for 2017. The European rankings have Pettersson at 2nd overall - ahead of Lias Andersson (3rd) and Miro Heiskanen (4th). Only Klim Kostin (the Blues picked him up at 31st) was ahead of him on that list.

Now, it's not untrue that 5th overall was the likely top of his draft projections, but to lie and say he wasn't ranked higher anywhere than 5th for Euro or 10th overall is completely incorrect. This is especially true with the way a lot of people were very unsure about #5-#15 (and even beyond) and how they'd play out.

I personally thought he'd go later, but in a draft where the very top tier of talent isn't as good as recent drafts, but the second tier is all very close, I can't fault Benning for going after a player with top skill - even if it comes with more risk. I can fault you for misrepresenting facts, just like the people still yammering on that he's only 150lbs.

getting off topic on your response but I was surprised at how early Lias Andersson went in this draft at no.7 overall.  That one was kind of a head scratcher with all the talent that was on the table at the time.

1 minute ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

getting off topic on your response but I was surprised at how early Lias Andersson went in this draft at no.7 overall.  That one was kind of a head scratcher with all the talent that was on the table at the time.

Don't disagree. And Kostin at 31st could be a big steal. But that's the point of how close 5 through 15/20/25/30+ are in this draft. I have yet to really look at who's left, but we'll likely get an interesting pick in the 2nd round as well.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

This one isn't though:

3 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Don't disagree. And Kostin at 31st could be a big steal. But that's the point of how close 5 through 15/20/25/30+ are in this draft. I have yet to really look at who's left, but we'll likely get an interesting pick in the 2nd round as well.

I just read a Canucks Army article on this actually, who to pick at 33, (written after our 1st round selection), and Jesper Boqvist name came up.  He was loaned to Allsvenskan and played 19 games, I can imagine some of that with Pettersson and Dahlen and picked up 12 pts in those games.  I can imagine that piqued Bennings interest when he was scouting Pettersson, he plays C or W.  

Edited by Sugar baby watermelon

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So it was said that he's a bit of a "perimeter player" after he was selected.

I've only seen the hilights. Is there any truth to this?

The highlights show a nose to the net when in with speed...but what is better shown is passing at a VERY elite level.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Re Vilardi, it's telling that Detroit didn't pick him when he was just playing across the river in Windsor and could scout him readily.

4 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Bingo.  This guy's assists are elite passing levels.  Also has a crazy ability to create plays with speed and top level skill.  The dude is viking stock and will fill out....plus there is instant chemistry with one of our other top prospects...there is a reason those two tore it up together last year.  

Also....(not related to your post) that Villardi fell to 11......teams saw something....not just us.  

Really makes me wonder what was it with Vilardi that turned off so many teams. Tippett before Vilardi.. Andersson before Vilardi... Rasmussen before Vilardi even though they are somewhat similar players.

1 minute ago, Blömqvist said:

Really makes me wonder what was it with Vilardi that turned off so many teams. Tippett before Vilardi.. Andersson before Vilardi... Rasmussen before Vilardi even though they are somewhat similar players.

Attitude speculations aside, I think his foot speed scares people. Being slow in the modern NHL is a death sentence, and not everyone can fix their skating in three summers like Horvat.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

I just read a Canucks Army article on this actually, who to pick at 33, (written after our 1st round selection), and Jesper Boqvist name came up.  He was loaned to Allsvenskan and played 19 games, I can imagine some of that with Pettersson and Dahlen and picked up 12 pts in those games.  I can imagine that piqued Bennings interest when he was scouting Pettersson, he plays C or W.  

I readily admit I haven't had the time or willpower to look at many names beyond our 1st this year. I do know there are some good names, but I'll wait and see who we get then find out more. Positionally, I wouldn't mind another look at a defenceman though, if there's one with some upside but maybe a bit of risk still left.