-Vintage Canuck-

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

26 minutes ago, Saltydog said:

One of his knocks is that he comes from the second tier swedish league and doesn't face top tallent. Just curious how many 17 year olds make it to the SHL. 

He will, next year.  Also played against men in the Allsvenskan last year.

Everyone is talking about how small he is but he played in a man's league.  Not a super talented league but he was 6th in points per game.  And was way ahead of Dahlen, a player we are all excited about in his draft year.  We should be more pumped about this guy.  He is tall and just needs some muscle.  That is easy to add.  Elite 2 way centres are not easy to add.  The more I read about this guy the more pumped I am.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, naslundfan921 said:

Just combing through our draft history for those complaining that JB went off the board or the "consensus pick" this year and last - Looking at Bob Mckenzie's rankings because he polls multiple scouts for a "consensus" rank

2008: #10 Cody Hodgson Ranked 9 by TSN - obviously didn't turn out despite us getting a "steal" if we followed the consensus rankings, Karlsson went 15 FYI

09: #22 Jordan Schroeder Ranked 15 by TSN - Picked the BPA according to rankings, again bust

11: #29 Jensen Ranked 24 by TSN - again picked a guy that ranked higher than our draft position - another bust, Could make a case for Saad who was ranked higher but point of post is that we've picked players that have consistently ranked higher and that hasn't yielded great results

12: #26 Guance Ranked 20 by TSN - picked player ranked above our slot again - BPA according to Mckenzie - Fringe NHL Player thus far while Pearson and Skjei are NHL regulars

13: #9 Horvat 5th BPA according to TSN - an example of us going off the board, had we gone BPA according to rankings, would have been Nichuskin. I think we did good here going off board

13: #24 Shinkaruk ranked 14 by TSN - we went BPA again and he has yet to find a regular spot in the NHL, won't call him a bust yet but the numbers speak for themselves 

14: #6 Virtanen ranked 7 by TSN - not as great a leap as some on here suggest but interesting note Ehlers ranked 10 and Nylander ranked 9 so either way. any of those picks would have been off the board for those arguing for the rankings

14: #24 McCann ranked 16 by TSN - BPA again, jury's still out but note that Pastrnak went #25 and he was ranked 22

15: #23 Boeser ranked 26 by TSN - went off board and while it's early I'd venture to say no one is mad anymore about us going off the rankings

So hindsight is 20/20 but the post of this post is to illustrate that just because a player is ranked higher doesn't mean that it is the best pick. As our history has shown, we have often went BPA and those instances have almost always failed us. I won't say Pettersson or Juolevi are going to be bonafide stars but I trust our scouts and as our history has shown going against the rankings have produced some of our biggest pieces for the future.

Great post.  We're in a better position to go off-board with Benning's background in scouting.

• Upvote 1

While I was hoping for Vilardi, I'm actually really excited on the gamble JB took with this pick.  

He has an incredible amount of skill and offensive potential.  

He could become a point scoring 1st line centre to replace Hank.  

Yeah, he is a twig, but 2-3 years of solid training should make him a super lean and strong 185.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Saltydog said:

One of his knocks is that he comes from the second tier swedish league and doesn't face top tallent. Just curious how many 17 year olds make it to the SHL. 

Very few but it has more to do with being on an Allsvenskan club that loans a player as a call up to the SHL. Almost universally those players don't do very will but if they are able to be even slightly competitive it's viewed as a big deal. Thus the hype over Nylander despite him scoring at about .25 ppg I'm the SHL.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Certainly not as sour as I was with the Virtanen pick, but Pettersson will be interesting to watch pan out. Hopefully the Sedins hang around long enough to play with him and Dahlen because they'd be perfect mentors.

IMO Petterson is a high risk high reward pick and could be the next Backstrom/Datsyuk, or could completely fold and never be strong enough to defend and contend against the bigger centers of the West (Draisaitl, Glass, Vilardi, Couture etc.). It'll be a very tough environment for him to learn in so hopefully he beefs up and comes to play in the NHL when he's at least 180 pounds. 

Glass was always a safe bet to be the next Scheiffele/Bergeron but Pettersson's ceiling is much higher, IMO one of the highest of the draft. He could end up being the best player of the top-15 but then so could Vilardi or Hirschier or Patrick. Props to Benning for the ballsy pick but lets hope it doesn't back-fire. We desperately need some size in our future top-6, even future top-9 now because right now it's just Virtanen and Horvat.

As for Pettersson himself, I hope he can go back to the top tier Swedish Elite League next season and score 0.5 PPG at least over there. Maybe give him some time in the AHL after that and break into the NHL as a 20-21 year old with Dahlen as a mentor (assuming Dahlen will be playing here by then). 

It'll be fun to watch Pettersson and Dahlen play in training camp together but oh boy do they need some muscle to play with them and clear some ice/space for them. Maybe Virtanen has his role all ready to go...

Good analysis by @DownUndaCanuck. It is a bit more optimistic than I am, though. But I agree Pettersson is a high risk - high reward player. He could be the most skilled offensive player in the draft but there is some chance he never makes the NHL. It fine to say he will "bulk up", but there is difference between a guy who is 180 and 6-2 with wide shoulders and Pettersson. In the picture of him standing beside Aquillini it looks like his Canuck jersey in on a coat hanger. "Bulking up" is not that easy. It is also not desirable if is just extra upper body muscle mass as the extra weight slows down skating speed and can get in the way of quickness. You want guys who have size and strength naturally who can then augment it a bit with strength training. But expecting Pettersson to put on 30 lbs is unlikely.

3 hours ago, BananaMash said:

Yeah dude, that's totally what I'm saying. It's not like we just drafted a high skill center or anything.

You don't necessarily need all your centers to be two-way guys. Glass would have been a nice pick for sure, but Horvat is a very similar breed of player and very young. You don't need all four guys down the middle to be the same.

I agree that Glass seems similar to Horvat  except I would say Glass is stronger offensively at this stage in his career. And I would have no problem with fours Bo Horvats playing center on all four lines for the Canucks.

• Upvote 1

Would have been happy with Glass or Vilardi, but happy with this pick. 

Have to admit I was a little shocked.

Benning tried to trade down, didn't work out. I commend him for sticking with the direction he wanted.

We needed a center with skill, we got it. Seems like a quality young man also, bonus.

Glad Jim took a risk on someone with a very high ceiling, hope he comes close to it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

While I was hoping for Vilardi, I'm actually really excited on the gamble JB took with this pick.  

He has an incredible amount of skill and offensive potential.  

He could become a point scoring 1st line centre to replace Hank.  

Yeah, he is a twig, but 2-3 years of solid training should make him a super lean and strong 185.  

Or even better as quoted below ..

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Stop worrying about his weight... for comparisons sake, here's a few guys (and their height and weight at draft day) that were also Swedes, but I'd venture to say they turned out fine...

Peter Forsberg - 5'10" / 161 lbs 

Niklas Kronwall - 5'10" / 164 lbs

Henrik Zetterberg - 5'10" / 154 lbs

If you're curious, this is where they ended up:

Peter Forsberg - 6'0" / 205 lbs 

Niklas Kronwall - 6'0" / 194 lbs

Henrik Zetterberg - 6'0" / 195 lbs

Elias will be fine.  We've got a 1C... just wait a couple years...

Anyone know or understand why Vilardi went so late ??

Just now, SilentSam said:

Anyone know or understand why Vilardi went so late ??

Hard to say. Maybe he just didn't fit other teams individual needs. Maybe the other GMs saw something at the combine they didn't like? Who knows?

The skill seems undeniable only concern is his weight. But unless the draft is stacked there will always be some sort of deficiency at number 5. Seems like a good risk to take.

"He played with Dahlen all year and there was good chemistry, so that even went into a part of [our decision]."

I personally wanted Glass. Seems like an extremely high skill high speed player with great character but...

I don't want to compare this too too much but as Canuck fans we know how important chemistry is. We have the Sedins who are great players individually but paired together they are that much better. We can say the same for several Sedin line mates who had more skill and pedigree than Burr but never had that chemistry. If Glass and Pettersson were extremely close to start and we already have possible chemistry with Dahlen and Pettersson, I can see where that could bump Pettersson ahead. 

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Stop worrying about his weight... for comparisons sake, here's a few guys (and their height and weight at draft day) that were also Swedes, but I'd venture to say they turned out fine...

Peter Forsberg - 5'10" / 161 lbs 

Niklas Kronwall - 5'10" / 164 lbs

Henrik Zetterberg - 5'10" / 154 lbs

If you're curious, this is where they ended up:

Peter Forsberg - 6'0" / 205 lbs 

Niklas Kronwall - 6'0" / 194 lbs

Henrik Zetterberg - 6'0" / 195 lbs

Elias will be fine.  We've got a 1C... just wait a couple years...

Wow, never knew those guys were that light on their draft days!

1 minute ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I think the player that Benning really liked that was gone by 20 was Liljegren. He tried to disguise it by not bothering to interview him.

and now he can watch as Liljegren plies his trade with Matthews, Marner and Nylander in Tdot, they will be that much more better for it, if he has a good defensive presence.

4 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

That list was ONLY FOR EUROPEAN SKATERS

He was the #5 EURO SKATER, not including North Americans

#10 sure 

#5? 

Whatever, we've done this too many times before......let Benning play at whatever he's playing at, I don't have to watch it, at least he will be enjoying the Canucks

^^60% of all stats are made up...

This one isn't though:

http://avalanche.ice.nhl.com/club/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=2&sort=finalRank&year=2017

That is the NHL CSS rankings for 2017. The European rankings have Pettersson at 2nd overall - ahead of Lias Andersson (3rd) and Miro Heiskanen (4th). Only Klim Kostin (the Blues picked him up at 31st) was ahead of him on that list.

Now, it's not untrue that 5th overall was the likely top of his draft projections, but to lie and say he wasn't ranked higher anywhere than 5th for Euro or 10th overall is completely incorrect. This is especially true with the way a lot of people were very unsure about #5-#15 (and even beyond) and how they'd play out.

I personally thought he'd go later, but in a draft where the very top tier of talent isn't as good as recent drafts, but the second tier is all very close, I can't fault Benning for going after a player with top skill - even if it comes with more risk. I can fault you for misrepresenting facts, just like the people still yammering on that he's only 150lbs.

EDIT: I'm sure there are other rankings out there too, but here's a good list of them on the EP player page for him:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=266336

Ranked #5 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #20 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #8 by Future Considerations
Ranked #11 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #2 by NHL Central Scouting (EU Skaters)
Ranked #7 by TSN/McKenzie

If BMac has him at 7 and we go just two ahead of that I'm not too bothered.

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 4

Personally, I was hoping for Glass, but this guy ticks the "skills" boxes.   What ever happened to JB's "European skill with North American heart"?

Does he have "it"?

Ask me in 5 years.

Edited by boomer29