The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

If we won the draft lottery first overall last year, would they still have drafted Petterson? 

I think that they would have, they seem super high on him since day one.

I still would've drafted Hischier personally, but I think they would've put Pettersson 3rd behind Hischier and Makar going into the draft. I know the Canucks really wanted Makar. 

6 hours ago, logic said:

CoHo and Schroeder are good examples that an impressive WJC showing doesn't guarantee anything in the NHL

CoHo is a weak example, he played and produced at the top level with a bad back.  And for every Schroeder there's a dozen Eberle, Toews, Oshie, etc. that have both a good tourney and a NHL career.  

5 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

After making a comment like he plans to dominate the tournament; you know all the guys on team Canada and USA will be gunning for him. They will target him non stop with cheap shots and I will be surprised if he makes it our of the tourney uninjured. I hope he dominates and leads team Sweden to victory and is the talk of the hockey world after all things are done. I know he has sick dangles and silky smooth skills similar to Dahlin but I'm not sure how much he can get away with on the smaller ice in North American style hockey. 

I think most of the young players at this tournament have already heard all about Elias Pattersson and have planned to target him from the get go, regardless of his comment.  At some point, he has to get away with his 'sick dangles and silky smooth skills' on the small ice if he is to play in the NHL.  It would be great for him to start proving himself now and shut the doubters up.  I wanna see 'em dominate those little buggers!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Toews said:

Nylander - Lindström - Pettersson
Karlsson - Andersson - Boqvist

http://hockeynews.se/articles/1500/

Sweden's top lines to start the tournament.

Edit: Stolen off of HF. Credit to poster Jason McIssac.

Boqvist is a Defenseman ?  Unless there is another one...he would make a great winger though....

7 hours ago, Toews said:

Nylander - Lindström - Pettersson
Karlsson - Andersson - Boqvist

http://hockeynews.se/articles/1500/

Sweden's top lines to start the tournament.

Edit: Stolen off of HF. Credit to poster Jason McIssac.

Wow that should be an exciting line to watch. Once Pettersson adapts to smaller ice after a few games I think he will be fine. 

14 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think most of the young players at this tournament have already heard all about Elias Pattersson and have planned to target him from the get go, regardless of his comment.  At some point, he has to get away with his 'sick dangles and silky smooth skills' on the small ice if he is to play in the NHL.  It would be great for him to start proving himself now and shut the doubters up.  I wanna see 'em dominate those little buggers!

We drafted him because he had European skill with North american heart. Benning said he would've picked him first overall, he was right.

• Upvote 4

Honestly looking at team Sweden, there’s only 3 players who have been offensive threats in their respective leagues: Pettersson, Dahlin (good points for a defensemen) and to a lesser extent Anderson. Liljgren a little as well. Everyone else on the team would have to be way more successful offensively in the tournament the. They have been in the respective leagues for this team to be good. 

• Cheers 1

On 2017-12-23 at 9:11 AM, Toews said:

Brock didn't have a great WJC either. I am not all that concerned if he does not have a great tournament. I think his play in the SHL is a far more meaningful sample size than a short elimination tournament. Playing on the smaller ice surface is also still an adjustment. I watched him in the summer showcase and he wasn't as good as he has been in the SHL this year. Regardless of what happens at the WJC it will not diminish my opinion of him thus far. I agree with the above poster that it might indicate that we need to be patient with him regarding him going straight to the NHL next year.

I don't place much importance in this tournament either. 

It's too short. It comes down to who finds chemistry fastest.

I'm more interested in his skill set than I am in goals and assists; seeing how he fits in the Canucks grand scheme. 

Of course if he shows up a lot on the scoresheet, great, but it's not the end all, be all of his career.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, playboi19 said:

Benning said he would've picked him first overall, he was right.

Did he say that? Was that right at the draft or after we've seen Pettersson tear it up this season?

Its a pretty lofty statement to make in light of a strong 1-2 punch of Hirschier and Patrick so Benning must be super confident in Pettersson.  And at this point, he clearly has every right to be.  What a gem.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2