The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

But EP is younger and already better than Rodin who was SHL MVP at the peak of his career and still not good enough for the NHL.   EP is just scratching the surface of what he will be at the peak of his career.  

Exactly so, EP can certainly still grow his skills and his body. My comment was solely about the transfer of Euro skills to the NA NHL game. It does not always work. I will be excited to watch EP in the WJC to get a good look. Until I see him over here playing NHL quality players I will be cautiously optimistic. The WJC will be a great gauge. 

56 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am always more reluctant to jump on a Euro bandwagon than a CHL one. EP has not played in NA and we will not know how well he adapts until he actually comes over here. Not suggesting they are comparable but Anton Rodin was the SHL MVP the year before he came back. No doubt that fans should be very excited about EP and look forward to his signing here as early as April. 

While the league has been littered with mid to late twenties players who had great success as mature players in Europe, only to fail in the NHL.

The track record for top picks who dominate in Europe as rookies is pretty solid. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Canuck57 said:

I think in recent months Elias Pettersson has shown huge potential as a future Vancouver Canuck.  His stats in the SHL are incredible, and all of that should raise a lot of interest both with the fans and in the Canucks upper office.  However, just out of curiosity, how sure are the Canucks that Pettersson will actually sign with them?  I'm hoping that he doesn't pull a Jimmy Vesey on the Canucks, stay in Sweden, and wait for his contract offer here to expire...before becoming a free agent.  How long does Vancouver have before Pettersson will actually become a free agent in the NHL if he chooses not to sign with the Canucks?

I have no doubt that Pettersson will sign with the Canucks but it would need to happen within two years of his draft. If he is not signed by that time he would re-enter the draft as a 20 year old and if he didn't sign with that team within 2 years he would then become a free agent. 

How long does an NHL team have to sign a draft choice?
If an NHL team does not sign a player within the two years in which he was drafted, he can re-enter the draft as long as he is 20 years old or younger for his second draft. Players over 20 years old automatically become UFAs.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Not suggesting they are comparable but Anton Rodin was the SHL MVP the year before he came back.

This fact has been on my mind for a while now.   Didn't say anything for fear of the CDC EP Hype-Train absolutely steam rolling me for suggesting anything but EP total domination when he arrives here lol. 

Personally not saying he will or won't be hugely successful in the NHL - just that the organization and fan-base should,  (not referring to any particular prospect here),  just let this kid do his thing.  Learn / grow / develop as a player and person and contribute to the organization when he is ready and able to.  Brock more or less developed with little outside pressure from the team/fan base and look what happened.   But  For every Brock there's way more duds sadly - it's fact.  EP has great potential - let's enjoy his development and be patient. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

This fact has been on my mind for a while now.   Didn't say anything for fear of the CDC EP Hype-Train absolutely steam rolling me for suggesting anything but EP total domination when he arrives here lol. 

Personally not saying he will or won't be hugely successful in the NHL - just that the organization and fan-base should,  (not referring to any particular prospect here),  just let this kid do his thing.  Learn / grow / develop as a player and person and contribute to the organization when he is ready and able to.  Brock more or less developed with little outside pressure from the team/fan base and look what happened.   But  For every Brock there's way more duds sadly - it's fact.  EP has great potential - let's enjoy his development and be patient. 

Interesting debate whether EP will sign this spring or not. I suspect he does as not doing so carries huge risk. Anyone watching The Laffers the other night and Grabner takes Matthews out at the knees. Your next shift can always be your last. The financial incentive to sign a deal has to be huge. 

Again it was revealing to read that Boeser's decision to go pro was partly to do with a NHL pay cheque to help his parents out. There are many reasons why players react the way they do and we do not know any of them most times. 

14 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Rodin never got a fair shake....period....

EP is a totally different player with more skill and that "magic hands" factor...I have no doubt BB and EP are out next Sedins and will produce at the same sort of rate even in a time period that see much less scoring than 15 years ago.....Franchise Players....

A healthy Rodin never got a fair shake, perhaps; but he was never healthy.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I have no doubt that Pettersson will sign with the Canucks but it would need to happen within two years of his draft. If he is not signed by that time he would re-enter the draft as a 20 year old and if he didn't sign with that team within 2 years he would then become a free agent. 

How long does an NHL team have to sign a draft choice?
If an NHL team does not sign a player within the two years in which he was drafted, he can re-enter the draft as long as he is 20 years old or younger for his second draft. Players over 20 years old automatically become UFAs.

The NHL and SHL have an agreement - it's 4 years.

Edited by mll
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, gurn said:

A healthy Rodin never got a fair shake, perhaps; but he was never healthy.

I still think it was political...he was healthy enough to make the team ....he scored more points in the pre season than a lot of player's that made it...he was stealing pucks and making great passes....he should have made the team at that point....then he was sent to the AHL and not recalled in favour of Chaput...that was just stupid...

Rodin was then healthy enough to play (without looking it up) 6 or 7 games in Europe...getting a PPG before having his leg broken....he deserved to have his leg broken in the NHL at the very least.....that is my final word on it...time to buy the hatchet....

EP is better already and will be be better than Rodin...no doubt...but do not be surprised to see Rodin biting our asses in the future....

34 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Wasn't aware of that. It would still be the 4 years to UFA status but without going back into the draft then.

Thanks for sharing.

Just to add.  I think there is no limit (until UFA) for countries where there is no agreement.  

The Wild drafted Kaprizov in 2015 but he extended his contract for another 3 seasons with CSKA Moscou - they are keeping his rights.  The Lightning drafted Gusev out of the KHL in 2012 and have transferred his rights to Vegas as part of an expansion trade.  The Wild signed Bertschy out of Switzerland only in 2015 when they had already drafted him in 2012.  

Edited by mll

15 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I still think it was political...he was healthy enough to make the team ....he scored more points in the pre season than a lot of player's that made it...he was stealing pucks and making great passes....he should have made the team at that point....then he was sent to the AHL and not recalled in favour of Chaput...that was just stupid...

Rodin was then healthy enough to play (without looking it up) 6 or 7 games in Europe...getting a PPG before having his leg broken....he deserved to have his leg broken in the NHL at the very least.....that is my final word on it...time to buy the hatchet....

EP is better already and will be be better than Rodin...no doubt...but do not be surprised to see Rodin biting our asses in the future....

You really think a coach and club would not play the better player because of politics?

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

You really think a coach and club would not play the better player because of politics?

What politics is involved between taking Chaput over Rodin? :o What sadistic  bastard is involved with the Canucks who would bring Rodin over 2 years ago and then resign him again just to screw him over? I am susceptible to conspiracy theories but this is right up there with Marlynn Monroe being the shooter on the grassy knoll.  

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Rodin was not able to even make Utica, I don’t believe he ever truly recovered from his injury and then was unable to get in game shape.  I really don’t think management just gives up guys they think can help them.  You have to consider the most motivating force on earth - self-interest.  Pro hockey is all about capitalism - hence the ‘pro’ in pro hockey.

Edited by Ray_Cathode

1 hour ago, mll said:

Just to add.  I think there is no limit (until UFA) for countries where there is no agreement.  

The Wild drafted Kaprizov in 2015 but he extended his contract for another 3 seasons with CSKA Moscou - they are keeping his rights.  The Lightning drafted Gusev out of the KHL in 2012 and have transferred his rights to Vegas as part of an expansion trade.  The Wild signed Bertschy out of Switzerland only in 2015 when they had already drafted him in 2012.  

Below is the portion of the CBA that covers this topic. It seems that NHL teams have up to 4 years to sign drafted players that were playing on teams outside of North America. The second part would seem to indicate that unsigned players would be free agents after the 4 year period unless drafted at age 20 when the UFA period would kick in after 2 more years. At least that is my interpretation of this.

Players Drafted from a Club Outside North America. (i) Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is drafted from a club outside North America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights

) Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if a Player drafted at age 20 or older is drafted from a club outside North 21 ARTICLE 8 8.7-8.9 America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights. (iii) Upon the expiration of the applicable exclusive right of negotiation as outlined in subsections (i) and (ii) above, the Player shall be a draft-related Unrestricted Free Agent.

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

You are delusional about Rodin. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

Below is the portion of the CBA that covers this topic. It seems that NHL teams have up to 4 years to sign drafted players that were playing on teams outside of North America. The second part would seem to indicate that unsigned players would be free agents after the 4 year period unless drafted at age 20 when the UFA period would kick in after 2 more years. At least that is my interpretation of this.

Players Drafted from a Club Outside North America. (i) Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is drafted from a club outside North America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights

) Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if a Player drafted at age 20 or older is drafted from a club outside North 21 ARTICLE 8 8.7-8.9 America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights. (iii) Upon the expiration of the applicable exclusive right of negotiation as outlined in subsections (i) and (ii) above, the Player shall be a draft-related Unrestricted Free Agent.

This is Russo in the Star Tribune on Kaprizov.  There are things in the CBA which are not clear and the Wild have been in contact with the NHL in other situations to get clarification.  So I would think they did too in this situation as he is a very promising player.  He was drafted in 2015 and 2019/20 would be the 5th year.

http://www.startribune.com/russian-team-official-on-wild-s-kaprizov-he-will-stay-in-russia-for-next-3-years/433141043/

Also, there's no transfer agreement between the NHL and KHL, so the way I understand it, the Wild owns his NHL rights essentially forever. They're not in danger of losing his rights if unsigned four years from his draft year like other drafted players.

[...]

Bottom line: the Wild thinks the world of him and wanted him to play in the NHL in 2018-19 or at least 2019-20. 

EDIT:  Per CapFriendly the 4 year is for leagues with transfer agreements (Liiga and SHL) while for LNA and KHL it's indefinite.

https://www.capfriendly.com/reserve-list-faq#non-transfer-league

Edited by mll

50 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Rodin was not able to even make Utica, I don’t believe he ever truly recovered from his injury and then was unable to get in game shape.  I really don’t think management just gives up guys they think can help them.  You have to consider the most motivating force on earth - self-interest.  Pro hockey is all about capitalism - hence the ‘pro’ in pro hockey.

Rodin was very injury prone and i agree that he never really recovered from his injury. He was rushed. I remember Rodin getting like 7-8 points in the 2016/2017 pre-season but then was taken out due to him aggravating his injury. He was rushed from the beginning to the end.

Injuries decimated his career. After we terminated his contract and he signed in Davoc (swiss), after just 5 games he broke his leg again... just unfortunate luck.

• Upvote 1