The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

17 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

This is thrown around a lot but I disagree. How can a top 2 damn be harder to find than a top line winger? 

There are just as many top line wingers on each team as there are top 2 D. 

You can disagree all you want, but the market (eg: Hall for Larsson) makes it clear that top Dmen are harder to find than top wingers. I would hypothesize that the reason is that as kids, the best players usually become centres, many of whom are wingers at the NHL level. Defense is not as popular a position for kids to play, so fewer of the best players become defensemen.

8 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

You can disagree all you want, but the market (eg: Hall for Larsson) makes it clear that top Dmen are harder to find than top wingers. I would hypothesize that the reason is that as kids, the best players usually become centres, many of whom are wingers at the NHL level. Defense is not as popular a position for kids to play, so fewer of the best players become defensemen.

Yeah, I think part of the reason is the draft and how it’s far easier IMO to identify top line forwards than defensemen at age 18 (especially when it comes to stats-based approaches). And also the fact that there are simply more forwards in the pool than defensemen. But it’s definitely tougher to acquire good young Ds than Fs, at least when you’re talking top of the lineup players.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

You can't nitpick one of the worst trades of the past 3 or 4 years to determine the market. Montreal also traded Sergachev for Drouin. Both are looking like mistakes on the part of the Canadian teams involved. I'm not arguing that dmen aren't more valuable, there are less dmen in the league. Numerically there should be the same amount of top 2 dmen than top line wingers, give or take. Some teams may have more of 1 than the other (ie Nashville). Really it depends on what your definition is. IMO Hamhuis was a top 2 dman during our glory years even though he didn't put up points, in a similar way to what tanev is for us now, other posters may disagree due to their limited offensive production.

Your hypothesis is interesting and imo could hold some merit. I've never thought of that but it makes sense to me.

23 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Someone please tell me that the Sweden - Belarus game is being televised.

I'm seeing Russia - Czech and Canada - Finland....but not EP's first tournament game on TSN....

I just googled it. All the games say tsn beside them except Sweden Belarus. They say TSN Go, I’m guessing that means online?

19 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

This is thrown around a lot but I disagree. How can a top 2 damn be harder to find than a top line winger

There are just as many top line wingers on each team as there are top 2 D. 

Just a thought, but I think there would be a larger pool of players to find a top 2 winger than a top 2 D. Any given team will have 12 forwards (including centers that are better suited at wing for higher levels), while there are only 6 positions available at D. More of a selection should make it easier to fill positions at wing by a ratio of 2:1, or close to it.

Nevertheless, realistically, at higher levels dominant players will stand out and be placed on the top lines/pairings, making it a wash in the end.

Edited by Canorth
Words

51 minutes ago, thad said:

I just googled it. All the games say tsn beside them except Sweden Belarus. They say TSN Go, I’m guessing that means online?

Yes it's online.   Probably due to the fact TSN assumes it'll be a blowout game and virtually no one wants to watch Belarus get destroyed by Sweden except a few Canucks fans  (which we all know TSN doesn't care about anyway) who are desperate to watch their saviour play any kind of meaningful game in NA.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Could you watch it for free on TSN website or is it a paid for app?

Free stream on the app or website as long as you have TV subscription. You have to log in with your whatever TV provider account on the TSN website or app to get access of the stream.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Free stream on the app or website as long as you have TV subscription. You have to log in with your whatever TV provider account on the TSN website or app to get access of the stream.

Can't access tsn go as my provider isn't listed. 

6 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Utter BS. TSN, use one of your 5(?) channels and show the game. I don't require a play by man on it. I have a hard time believing that there isn't enough interest in the #2 English speaking TV market to justify this.

It could be that I'm slightly grouchy today (on account of being slightly hungover) but damn, this is irritating.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

Can't access tsn go as my provider isn't listed. 

Any friends/family of yours willing to let you use their account? I don't have TV subsription but a coworker of mine was willing to change their account to a temporary password and share it with me for the time being of the tournament.