The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Looks like size is available at 33 - 6'6" Isaac Ratcliffe, LW and 6'5'' Nic Hague, D. Hockey News rated them 20 and 22.

We definitely need some more good skating size in the future. We are currently building a smallish team

4 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Looks like size is available at 33 - 6'6" Isaac Ratcliffe, LW and 6'5'' Nic Hague, D. Hockey News rated them 20 and 22.

That is true, but Boqvist is VERY skilled. I would like him over the size in Hague and Ratcliffe

5 hours ago, The Lock said:

Well, if you look at the Subban brothers, PK grew after the draft and Jordan didn't.

Even me and my brother have different frames, so I would very little into that, true or not.

And my brother and I have identical frames.

I'm not reading into it; I'm just saying it's a concern that him and his brother will be like me and my brother and have the same body styles. I hope this isn't the case, but it is a valid concern nonetheless. 

6 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

I'm serious Vilardi will be the best player from the draft. Glass would have been better as well. Benning sucks. 

How far did Gabe drop again? The guy was overrated IMHO. He used his size against boys. I think he translates to A 3rd line winger 

So glad GMJB had the balls to take the kid who may be skinny but oozes high-end talent. I said this months ago whoever drafts him is getting the best player in the long run. 

Just imagine him at 190-200 his frame is solid and should easily support a huge weight gain. The guy was A beast at the combine.

Sucks we missed out on Kostin by 2 lousy picks. Wish JB would have moved up to grab him.

Edited by bp79
spelling
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

He has already committed to Vaxjo of the SHL.

Yeah, I think SHL is the better league for Pettersson for now. It let's him develop in a more comfortable environment. 

If Pettersson gets anywhere between 0.5-0.7 PPG in his first season, then we will know that we have struck gold.  Greater than 0.7 PPG and we have near Sedin level prospect. 

He is currently planning on playing in SHL and training in Sweden to get stronger and faster.

But that could change after prospect camp, meeting the sedins more, canucks trainers management coaching staff etc. That could influence where he plays.

Have to say his parents reaction is just heart warming... His dads face..

Pretty cool he comes from such a small place too, 3000 people..

I think Glass would have been a fantastic pick but I am very happy with Pettersson.

One thing thats been bugging me is when Benning trade for Dahlen im 90% sure he pronounced his name wrong, also im 90% sure he pronounced both Elias Pettersson's names wrong at the podium? Are there different ways to pronounce his names and Benning is correct? Or does he really not know how to pronounce the names of players he has spent so much time watching and evaluating? Tell me im crazy please.

• Upvote 1

This is a thread from HFBoards where they started talking about Pettersson over a year ago.  Usually I goto HFBoards for the pure entertainment of seeing 15 year olds complain about their lack of instant gratification, but this thread is from a general sub forum where there are many people from Sweden that post.  One contributor to the thread is the guy that covers the team for the local newspaper in Sweden.

A few good nuggets in there, some good highlights, and some insight from people that have actually watched him play:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1905651

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Wonder__Bread said:

Pettersson comparison: Datsyuk and Backstrom

He's a minimum 2 year project and will most likely compete for a roster spot in his draft +3 year. If Glass compares to Scheifele then he's also around 3-4 years from the NHL. I don't care how long it takes for them to make it, I care about how good they'll be when they finally do. Glass is vanilla and we need a little spice. First time in 3 years Benning picks who I want in the first round so I'm ecstatic with the pick. 

Oh no man.  You're crazy if you slot him in within 2 years.  I would think 3 is rushing him a shade.  4 is literally prime because with our current roster, as is without change; a bottom 5 team.  Following this year, another bottom 5-7 team  in 3 drafts 10-12.

In the next 3 terrible years that will come we will stockpile quality skilled depth and decent talent up front while Petterson develops.

The kid is a long ways off.

7 minutes ago, khay said:

Yeah, I think SHL is the better league for Pettersson for now. It let's him develop in a more comfortable environment. 

If Pettersson gets anywhere between 0.5-0.7 PPG in his first season, then we will know that we have struck gold.  Greater than 0.7 PPG and we have near Sedin level prospect. 

Henrik Sedin - 0.94 PPG in his draft + 1 season in the SHL

Daniel Sedin - 0.90 PPG in his draft + 1 season in the SHL

If Pettersson manages 0.7 we have a stud.

But saying that he is near Sedin level is not right. Sedins were really good. Plus, they played their draft season in the SHL, while Pettersson played in the second tier league.

I love the Pettersson pick, but he isn't near Sedin level.

Edited by Adarsh Sant

6 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Henrik Sedin - 0.94 PPG in his draft + 1 season in the SHL

Daniel Sedin - 0.90 PPG in his draft + 1 season in the SHL

If Pettersson manages 0.7 we have a stud.

But saying that he is near Sedin level is not right. Sedins were really good. Plus, they played their draft season in the SHL, while Pettersson played in the second tier league.

I love the Pettersson pick, but he isn't near Sedin level.

Yeah i agree. That's why i said near sedin level. But honestly, it's hard to imagine that he'll get .7 ppg in his first season.

1 hour ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

I just read a Canucks Army article on this actually, who to pick at 33, (written after our 1st round selection), and Jesper Boqvist name came up.  He was loaned to Allsvenskan and played 19 games, I can imagine some of that with Pettersson and Dahlen and picked up 12 pts in those games.  I can imagine that piqued Bennings interest when he was scouting Pettersson, he plays C or W.  

He actually spent 19 games on loan to Timra IK.  So not just same league but same club.  He also got a few games last year and even more this year in the SHL.  I imagine our scouts have seen more of him than most.

1 hour ago, boomer29 said:

Personally, I was hoping for Glass, but this guy ticks the "skills" boxes.   What ever happened to JB's "European skill with North American heart"?

Does he have "it"?

Ask me in 5 years.

Watch some videos of the kid, he is constantly shouldering into the middle slot around the D.  He has heart.  Lots of it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

He actually spent 19 games on loan to Timra IK.  So not just same league but same club.  He also got a few games last year and even more this year in the SHL.  I imagine our scouts have seen more of him than most.

He even played on a line with Pettersson and Dahlen....

I'm not going to pretend that I know anything about Pettersson, or any of the prospects for that matter, but from what I heard and read I was really hoping to get Glass. Glass just sounded like a more sexy and exciting player which is what this franchise desperately needs but like I said, what do I know? Hopefully the Sedins will stick around long enough to mentor the boy and hopefully his supposed chemistry with Dahlen translates to the NHL. We could be seeing the future 2nd line of the Canucks.