The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

This just makes the Virtanen pick look that much worse.  We could of had Nylander + Glass now we have Petterson + Virtanen

what makes you think he's not going to have a ceiling like Nylander? His numbers so far are nearly identical at the same age, except Pettersson has 2-3 inches Nylander and has played against better competition at a younger age. Not sure what you're complaining about here. 

I thought Glass was the safer pick, but Petterson could still turn out.  Like last year when we picked Juolevi over Tkachuk, I could see Petterson compared to the ones we didn't draft like Vilardi, Glass, etc. in the future.

Edited by WestCoastDave

While the SHL is a good developmental league for Pettersson, part of me wishes that he will instead choose the AHL. 

Having the Canucks organization monitor his diet/meal plans, conditioning and training might be better to prep him physically. 

4 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Henrik Sedin - 0.94 PPG in his draft + 1 season in the SHL

Daniel Sedin - 0.90 PPG in his draft + 1 season in the SHL

If Pettersson manages 0.7 we have a stud.

But saying that he is near Sedin level is not right. Sedins were really good. Plus, they played their draft season in the SHL, while Pettersson played in the second tier league.

I love the Pettersson pick, but he isn't near Sedin level.

4 hours ago, khay said:

Yeah, I think SHL is the better league for Pettersson for now. It let's him develop in a more comfortable environment. 

If Pettersson gets anywhere between 0.5-0.7 PPG in his first season, then we will know that we have struck gold.  Greater than 0.7 PPG and we have near Sedin level prospect. 

Can't just judge solely off points though, some players can make an NHL impact right away like Nylander, and some take longer like the twins, even with all of those SHL points. Not saying production isn't important, it is, but as long as he's constantly improving and tracking towards a top 6/#1 centre, I'll be happy!

Hopefully Pettersson can transition well and become an impact player for us for a long time! :towel:

Edited by MrCanuck94

After the picking Pettersson over Glass in the Draft The Canucks are now one of the bigger losers of the NHL Draft according to The Bleacher Report 

Loser: Vancouver Canucks

The Vancouver Canucks had the chance to take Portland Winterhawks center Cody Glass with the fifth pick. That was clearly what the pundits expected would happen when the Canucks were on the clock after Colorado took defender Cale Makar at No. 4. 

But the Canucks went with Swedish forward Elias Pettersson instead, and the Las Vegas Golden Knights wasted little time in nabbing Glass with the sixth selection.

Pettersson was projected to go high in the draft, but not this high. It's tough to project NHL prospects, but Glass should be a better player than Pettersson. Maybe that will be proven otherwise, but Pettersson seems to be a ways from becoming a legitimate NHL player. That might be true with Glass too, but the betting here is it won't be as long.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2717660-2017-nhl-draft-results-biggest-winners-and-losers-of-round-1

Edited by iinatcc
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

After the picking Pettersson over Glass in the Draft The Canucks are now one of the bigger losers of the NHL Draft according to The Bleacher Report 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2717660-2017-nhl-draft-results-biggest-winners-and-losers-of-round-1

Honestly I would say we are one of the winners. Didn't settle for an average scorer in vilardi. Didn't draft Glass who's a solid young player that's been on everybody's radar because he's in the chl. If Peterson was in the chl and Canadian he would've been a top 3 pick. I really like this draft and this was exactly the guy I wanted going in.

I told you clones that there is a good chance we pass up on Vilardi, Glass Mittelstadt if the chance all 3 are still on board. I said this on hfboards.com I also said it here!.

Very very happy with this pick, not surprised at all, not surprised that hack Gabriel Vilardi dropped to 11th.   

We potentially have a future selke winner here boys.  awesome pick.  him and bo will anchor our top 2 for years. 

• Upvote 2

The other problem I have with Pettersson is no hockey analysts had him at a #5 ranked player whereas Glass, Villardi, and Mittlestat all have top 5 placement at one point. 

I didn't mind when Benning picking Virtanen since picking him wasnt really off the board but Pettersson was way off. 

11 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Honestly I would say we are one of the winners. Didn't settle for an average scorer in vilardi. Didn't draft Glass who's a solid young player that's been on everybody's radar because he's in the chl. If Peterson was in the chl and Canadian he would've been a top 3 pick. I really like this draft and this was exactly the guy I wanted going in.

100% behind this.

everyone went by scouting reports and how it was going to be Vilardi , glass.    We all saw how much Vilardi and Mitt dropped.  awesome 2 way player, deadly iq, love this pick.  We just need him to work with Roger Takayashi right away, and prep him for Pentiction against the other prospects.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WeatherWise said:

Ive watched 3 games so far and Im surprised how well of a 2 way player and his overall read of the game is.  plays smart.  his offense is very smooth and he executes well. his athleticism seems a step above his peers too.  I think this kid has great potential.  he actually fits the euro skill w/ north american heart comments

People would do well to read this article as well.  Canucks army had him pegged at #5

Edited by SILLY GOOSE
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Can't just judge solely off points though, Twins killed the Swedish leagues but had a harder time transitioning to the NHL game play, whereas Nylander had an off draft +1 year in Sweden but got it together faster and had a better transition to the NHL.

Hopefully Pettersson can transition well and become an impact player for us for a long time! :towel:

Actually, Nylander scored 20 points in 21 games in draft + 1 year in Sweden. Having said that, Nylander had already played 1 year in top tier with Modo in the year before. So I don't think it's reasonable to expect Pettersson to score at a rate similar to Nylander or even the Sedins, who played at the top league since they were 16/17, but the points will show that his skill is going to translate to the NHL based on players in the past that are of similar type (high sense and skill). 

I think Pettersson with slim build will take longer than Nylander and will probably take similarly long as the Sedins (3-5 years) before becoming an elite level player. By then, Bo will be 25-27, the prime age.

3 hours ago, coastal1 said:

Give it 5 years at least, probably 7. It's like Virtanen, it's still way to early to know if it was a good or a bad pick as he still needs 3-4 more years of development.

Fair enough. Hopefully Petterson is a stud but it's going to be a 3-4 year wait.

56 minutes ago, bp79 said:

I always find your posts very well thought out compared to most of the stuff I read on here. But I think you and a lot of our fan base need to stop putting timelines and predictions on our team and its players. 

How can you say he is 5v years away.? The guy could put on 15 pounds this summer dom,inate prospect camp and make the club. Is that likely? no. But who are we to say how long someone who is so far above us when it comes to hockey skill the way these kids train nowadays .Not to mention the elite genetics and dedication that got hi,m this far to begin with. Your gonna tell me if he comes to prospect camp then pre-season and blows everyone away the Canucks won't at least keep him, in N.A? every time someone makes A prediction about A player, or A trade and say oh we would accept that. Justs makes us sound pretentious. We have zero clue what our gm would accept in A trade. All we can do is speculate.

As for people saying we are x amount of years from winning the cup based on what exactly?  it's been 50 and still, haven'tr one one. I hear people talking about how terrible we are going to be 4 the next 5 years and I'm tired of it. Are we Cup favourites of course not. Are we better than the Sens yes. Last year we lost more 1 goal games than anyone. We missed more man games than anyone. Every vet had A down year. This year we are a much better team going into the season than last . Goldie Brock Jake Possibly OJ and Subban. 

Fun fact. If our vets  Hank Dank and louis can have better years. Not even huge years Hank maybe back to 60 points Dank maybe 20-23 goals Louis 20 goals. If Bo, Sven, and Granny can get an extra 10 between them. Throw in at least 30 from Brock Maybe 15-20 for Goldy 10-15 from Jake. Not even including the d or Dahlen who I think will make the team. That's like an extra 80 goals from last year. Without really being absurd.

Based on all are 1 and 2 goal games and taking the loser point into/it I actually didn't give us any points from it, only the ones we already had. We would have finished with over 100 points. Yes I know it sounds impossible it's not. 

My point is we are only fans. We have no way of predicting things like the pros do. If things go right where they went wrong last year. We very well could be A team much closer to JBs first season.

So let's stop being so damn pessimistic

Sorry War hippy, wasn't singling you out

this post x100.

this is a discussion forum we are here to debate  etc.etc.

BUT some people are insanely pretentious on here. (its vancouver duh)

They either belittle anyone who doesnt agree with their OPINION... or come back to gloat if something they SPECULATE comes to fruition. 

here is a timeline that I CAN ACTUALLY GUARANTEE 

if you came into this thread 10 seconds after pettersson was drafted to post how you have been saying all along to pick him, you are pretentious.

honestly if some posters just changed the tone from 'as a matter of fact' to "in my opinion" this forum wouldn't be so obnoxious,

it was refreshing to read your post though just to remind myself how insignificant our opinions are to the decisions of this management and the success of our players.

all we can really do is complain on forums and twitter and then go to games and sit quietly and watch. our fanbase is WACK!!

in my opinion..

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

I liked Glass at 5, but oh well. Pettersson has some incredible high-end skill, looking forward to watching him.

If we had high-end skill guys like Nylander or Ehlers in our system, no doubt Glass would have been the better pick. 

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Ive watched 3 games so far and Im surprised how well of a 2 way player and his overall read of the game is.  plays smart.  his offense is very smooth and he executes well. his athleticism seems a step above his peers too.  I think this kid has great potential.  he actually fits the euro skill w/ north american heart comments

People would do well to read this article as well.  Canucks army surprisingly had him pegged at #5

Yet somehow Villardi and Glass placed higher than Pettersson in their rankings