The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

I shared this in the draft GDT minutes after Pettersson was selected by us

Mark Edwards of HockeyProspect.com had Elias Pettersson at #5. As far as I know they were one of the few scouting services that were high on Pettersson.

For what it's worth, Hockey Prospect's final rankings was this for the top 10:

1. Hischier

2. Patrick

3. Heiskanen

4. Makar

5. Pettersson

6. Glass

7. Vilardi

8. Mittelstadt

9. Necas

10. Liljegren 

source: https://www.hockeyprospect.com/hockeyprospect-com-2017-nhl-draft-final-rankings/

Further to that, Bob McKenzie who creates a consensus list from the numerous scouts that he polls had Pettersson ranked one higher than Glass. This itself indicates that several (not all) scouts view Pettersson as a better prospect than Glass. His top ten was:

1. Hischier

2. Patrick

3. Heiskanen

4. Makar

5. Vilardi

6. Mittelstadt

7. Pettersson 

8. Glass

9. Rasmussen 

10. Tippett

source: http://www.tsn.ca/hischier-rides-meteoric-rise-to-top-of-tsn-draft-ranking-1.783025

All of this to say that Pettersson at #5 is not as much of a reach as people make it out to be and not all scouts have firm belief that Glass > Pettersson.

Even the fact that Vilardi fell out of the top 10 shows that teams have their own scouts and create their own BPA lists based off the information they have and those lists can be widely different than the list you or I or any other individual could have.

2 hours ago, NHL'er said:

- McKeen's Hockey

Hockey Prospect Black Book

- Canuck Army

And that's why I don't mind this pick. Glass has far less risk (I didn't really want Vilardi) but Pettersson has excellent potential upside, higher than either of the other two mentioned. That was what I wanted with the Virtanen draft, to go for Nylander and grab that elite level skill even if it came with some risk.

I wont pretend to completely understand the advanced stats this article discusses, but the author has Pettersson ranked at the top...after reading this plus the comments from fans from Sweden who have actually watched the kid play, I feel really good about the pick:

https://theleafsnation.com/2017/06/07/using-adjusted-ppg-to-evaluate-the-2017-nhl-draft-class/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

If their sole reason for calling us losers is that Glass will be ready sooner than Pettersson, then that's just stupid. I mean, it is the Bleacher Report, so it's generally stupid, but that's even more stupid.

We aren't in a rush to get players in our lineup that can help us win now. We still have a number of remaining core, veteran players, and they'll move out slowly as our prospects our ready to move in. Once Pettersson is ready, we will have found out if a good number of our existing prospects have made it and we'll probably be in much more of a contending spot.

It's like the Juolevi vs Tkatchuk debate of last year. "Oh, Vancouver didn't pick the guy that's scoring now even though they're rebuilding and it doesn't matter and they might have a player who will help them more in a couple of years." Ok then.

If they play it right, he might actually be ready before Glass.  Unless Glass surprises, he will be two years in Jr, whereas EP could be in Utica developing his pro game.  This is, imo, the difference between Virt and Nylander.

• Upvote 1

People need to stop reading the crappy draft publications. that give players rankings out of 5 or 10 and put a random ceiling on them. It's free for a reason, a lot of the time sites like the hockey writers can't even get names or stats right.

Yes pettersson is a riskier pick than Glass or Vilardi, but if he fills out in size to 6'2 185 to 190. He won't bust, he is too skilled for that.

Pettersson has better hands and a better shot than Glass already and he's a lot lighter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mostly what I'm impressed about with him the more I look is not only his potential for elite skill, but his work rate and defensive responsibility:

https://lakingsinsider.com/2017/06/14/royal-lineage-elias-pettersson/

He has impressive creativity both at top speed and from a passive position such as holding the slot during the power play. His decision making is remarkably well formed for his age level. While there is the occasional lapse, as when he eschews the simple play for something more on the fancy side, he still demonstrates amazing sense of the direction of the play and how to contribute to it. His passes are precise and lead to plus scoring chances at an above-average rate.

He also is a very responsible teammate, backchecking well and reading his opponents when he is on the other side of the puck. His shooting ability is not to the level of his puck play, but is still a plus tool. His slapshot, not much of a weapon, brings the grade down a notch, but the wrist shot can be lethal, ensuring that he still gets high marks here. All shots are very accurate and he can hit the net from tight, awkward angles. While more of a natural playmaker, he has proven that he can also score goals.

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/5/4/15533078/2017-nhl-draft-profile-elias-pettersson-could-be-the-steal-of-the-draft-for-the-detroit-red-wings

Pettersson is a creative playmaker who possesses superb on-ice vision. He’s got that rare, high end skill which can produce highlight reel plays but also has poise and patience with the puck, especially in one-on-one situations. What separates Pettersson from the pack, at least in my eyes, is his complete 200 foot game. At one end of the ice he’s able to make defenders look foolish with the puck on his stick, and in his own zone he’s fantastic at breaking up opposing offenses and getting into shooting lanes. When you see him play it’s very clear that he “thinks the game at a high level”.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

If they play it right, he might actually be ready before Glass.  Unless Glass surprises, he will be two years in Jr, whereas EP could be in Utica developing his pro game.  This is, imo, the difference between Virt and Nylander.

I agree. The top prospects might be at similar levels when drafted but from then it's a long road to the NHL and it's all about prospect development.

I could see 1 year in the SHL for Pettersson, followed by a year or two in the AHL. He could be in the NHL the time Vilardi and Glass make it to their first professional season in the AHL or at the very least have a year up on them in that regard.

17 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I agree. The top prospects might be at similar levels when drafted but from then it's a long road to the NHL and it's all about prospect development.

I could see 1 year in the SHL for Pettersson, followed by a year or two in the AHL. He could be in the NHL the time Vilardi and Glass make it to their first professional season in the AHL or at the very least have a year up on them in that regard.

Yup, it made a huge difference for Nylander.  Its truly a massive disadvantage for kids in the CHL and one they need to rectify, imo.

• Upvote 1

One thing about this pick, JB is counting on chemistry with Dahlen, which is a good thing and I hope it works out. Just need to have Virtanen have chemistry with Boeser and Bo.

Two to three years from now

Boeser, Bo, Virt

Dahlen, Pettersson, Goldy

Baert, Granlund, LE

Boucher, Sutter, Lind (Gadjovich)

Seems like a small sized team....cup bound, I don't think so.

I strongly suggest that everyone look at other Swedish players who were drafted out of Allsvenskan.  Pettersson has a better stat line than pretty much anyone I can find.  Compare his stats this year to Dahlen's last year (hint - Pettersson is miles ahead).  Compare him to Filip Forsberg in his draft year (Pettersson by miles again).  Now stats aren't everything, but there is a lot going for this kid.  He weighs the same at 18 as I did (I'm just over 6ft) and in my prime years as an athlete I weighed in at 185-190.  But lets not focus in too much on weight.  Gretzky was a scrawny kid back when he was breaking records the way Vladimir Krutov ate donuts.  Not that I'm saying Pettersson is Gretzky - I'd say he's not even guaranteed to make it to the NHL.  The thing is, the kids ceiling is higher than pretty much anyone else in the draft and sadly we will have to be patient to find out what we have.  I would have taken Glass for a more sure thing, but Pettersson isn't a bad gamble at all.

William Nylander might be a comparable stat wise in Allsvenskan, although Nylander spent some time up in the SHL in his draft year.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, bohoforpresident said:

this post x100.

this is a discussion forum we are here to debate  etc.etc.

BUT some people are insanely pretentious on here. (its vancouver duh)

They either belittle anyone who doesnt agree with their OPINION... or come back to gloat if something they SPECULATE comes to fruition. 

here is a timeline that I CAN ACTUALLY GUARANTEE 

if you came into this thread 10 seconds after pettersson was drafted to post how you have been saying all along to pick him, you are pretentious.

honestly if some posters just changed the tone from 'as a matter of fact' to "in my opinion" this forum wouldn't be so obnoxious,

it was refreshing to read your post though just to remind myself how insignificant our opinions are to the decisions of this management and the success of our players.

all we can really do is complain on forums and twitter and then go to games and sit quietly and watch. our fanbase is WACK!!

in my opinion..

Very true and very refreshing post Thanks for getting what I was trying to say.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

I strongly suggest that everyone look at other Swedish players who were drafted out of Allsvenskan.  Pettersson has a better stat line than pretty much anyone I can find.  Compare his stats this year to Dahlen's last year (hint - Pettersson is miles ahead).  Compare him to Filip Forsberg in his draft year (Pettersson by miles again).  Now stats aren't everything, but there is a lot going for this kid.  He weighs the same at 18 as I did (I'm just over 6ft) and in my prime years as an athlete I weighed in at 185-190.  But lets not focus in too much on weight.  Gretzky was a scrawny kid back when he was breaking records the way Vladimir Krutov ate donuts.  Not that I'm saying Pettersson is Gretzky - I'd say he's not even guaranteed to make it to the NHL.  The thing is, the kids ceiling is higher than pretty much anyone else in the draft and sadly we will have to be patient to find out what we have.  I would have taken Glass for a more sure thing, but Pettersson isn't a bad gamble at all.

William Nylander might be a comparable stat wise in Allsvenskan, although Nylander spent some time up in the SHL in his draft year.

As I mentioned in a previous post. We seem to have these kids timelines figured out

The truth is we have no idea what shape he will come to prospects camp in. He may blow the doors off and force himself onto this team, or at least Utica. He may need more time in Sweden. My point is We as fans need to stop pretending like we know what's going to happen in anything to do with the Canucks. Let's all hope this kid along with our other make it damn hard to send them packing. But let's not pretend for A second we as fans know the timeline of rare human specimens that possess elite genetics and A drive and dedication to their job that most of us could never come close to matching. Instead, of giving timelines based purely on A guess Let's take the time to go back and watch highlights of their career so far etc. And leave all the timelines to the Canucks. Cheers.

• Upvote 1

It will be very hard to see yet another available prospects like Glass, Vilardi and Mittlestadt make it big in the league while the Canucks take more than two years develop a prospect that will be "alright". 2C at the very best, most likely 3C if he can beef up a lot.

Trade fodder.

Of course I hope I eat my words. But that won't be for a few years still.

Edited by Me_

Benning (and team) are far more informed and educated on all of the draft prospects available than any of us "arm chair" GMs are.  Like it or not, we the fans need to sit back and trust the process.