The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

28 minutes ago, Me_ said:

It will be very hard to see yet another available prospects like Glass, Vilardi and Mittlestadt make it big in the league while the Canucks take more than two years develop a prospect that will be "alright". 2C at the very best, most likely 3C if he can beef up a lot.

Trade fodder.

Of course I hope I eat my words. But that won't be for a few years still.

Well considering the fact that Gabe was the biggest dropper by far.Shows, as usual, another armchair gm who looks at the mock drafts to make his assumptions Casey also dropped and Cody is far inferior to Petterson when it comes to Talent. Every knock on Pett is his weight. Do A little research and you will find a lot of scouts saying he is the most talented player with the highest ceiling in the draft. Most feel Gabe won't even end up playing centre. 

Post like these just keep proving my point. You have no clue when petty will be ready it could be in October it could be in 3 years Same goes for Gabe Cody and Casey who will be the longest probably since he is going to college. 

And to say he maxes out as A 3rd line centre only proves you have never seen this kid play, or read the numerous scouting reports that say they haven't seen this type of player since Zetterberg. (not saying he will ever be him) Many scouts said if he were 180 he would have had the chance to go first overall.

So congrats to us and to GMJB for having the balls to pick A guy who's true potential hasn't even been seen yet.

• Upvote 2

Lol. 

Angry canuck fan :  "I am pissed we passed up on vilardi!!!! Blah blah

gabriel vilardi goes 11 the kings.  You silly Benning bashers was polling and pissed at benning for not taking a guy that wasn't even in the top 10 with our 5th pick.  This is the bloody reason why Canucks fans know jack squat. And shouldn't be making picks. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Shows how highly Benning and Co. think of Pettersson:

I feel like there was a day in age where being 162 lbs as a young 18 year old was not seen as being 'small'.

It is easier for the guys in the NCAA to get up to 180-190 because they play so few games and just hit the gym with their bros every other day.

For a kid in Sweden that is part of a professional hockey team, playing internationally, playing in different divisions, there isn't much of an opportunity to get on a clear workout regime... especially when you're playing against men and your body is already taking a beating.

To be honest I didn't know much about Pettersson up until this last week, but JB overlooking brawn and going for skill is exactly what Canuck fans have been clamoring for since JV-Nylander debacle.  

• Upvote 4

It's beyond me to comprehend how fans cannot be anything but ecstatic about this pick. This kid has eeeeeasily one of the highest ceilings next to Makar. Watch this guy grow and become an absolute stud. 

Playing him with big body players like Jonah, Jake and MacEwen will hopefully chill some of the fans still bent on "getting bullied in the west". 

Welcome Elias! My favourite pick since drafting Bo. 

• Upvote 1

After looking at all the videos of the Nuck fan favourites, I finally settled on Mittlestadt.  I noticed that Glass and Vilardi seemed to always score on the rush and lacked the creativity that Mitts had.

I wanted a player that was quick, a fabulous playmaker, creative, with elite hockey sense.  The only reason I wanted Mitts over Petterson is his size.  It seems to me that Petterson has a similar skillset, so I am happy with him as the Canucks' #1.

Where does he slot in our prospect pool now? 
I still truly believe Dahlen is the better prospect...

Just another excellent piece for us.

We are no longer short on skilled offensive players, we just need to see them produce at the NHL level.

6 minutes ago, nergish said:

We are no longer short on skilled offensive players, we just need to see them produce at the NHL level.

I mean they had similar stats but Pettersson is younger so I'd say that Pettersson is the better prospect. I'd put him 3 or 4 right now (on the prospect pool), but he could be #1 after a few months. 

Edited by Rex425
Forgot to write "similar"
  • Upvote 1

A couple of links calling the Canucks losers for their first round pick:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2717660-2017-nhl-draft-results-biggest-winners-and-losers-of-round-1

http://nesn.com/2017/06/2017-nhl-draft-winners-losers-analyzing-best-worst-first-round-picks/

Posted not because I agree, but because it will be nice to have record of idiots.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nergish said:

Honestly, after watching some WJC games where him and Dahlen were linemates, Pettersson stood out more for me as the most dynamic all around player.  His play in all three zones is very under rated so far.   JB is right when he says he makes his linemates better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

A couple of links calling the Canucks losers for their first round pick:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2717660-2017-nhl-draft-results-biggest-winners-and-losers-of-round-1

http://nesn.com/2017/06/2017-nhl-draft-winners-losers-analyzing-best-worst-first-round-picks/

Posted not because I agree, but because it will be nice to have record of idiots.

NESN...they claimed Pittsburgh just one their second cup in a row

ONE their second cup

ONE

Take them with a grain of salt.

Bleacher is claiming Colorado is a loser for "not making BIG trades...they already got screwed out of the 1st OA pick and even the top 3.  They also claimed that the Yotes were winners for giving up a near .5 PPG rookie D man AND the 7th OA for a career backup with less than 100 starts and less comparable numbers than Markstrom 1B in Raanta and a middle 6 center in Stepan

Hell the ONLY thing Bleacher report got right was calling the Hawks losers.  

But claiming the canucks are losers, literally only because they chose Petterson and not harping on the rags for Andersson, as well claiming Vilardi is a loser for dropping to 11th...but claiming the Kings are winners for picking him up

Ya, screw these prikes 

Both reports less credible than a Trump tweet

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Yeah I liked Petterson but not ahead of Vilardi and Glass. How is that Bi polar?

You said you liked Pettersson, then you wanted Benning fired for taking Pettersson. That's a bit dramatic, and all of this based on what? There are reasons that scouts attend games and don't just watch the highlight packages posted to Youtube.