The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Uffe Bodin is the editor-in-chief for Hockeysverige.se and pretty much the go to guy whenever outlets like TSN or NHL.com or Hockey News need an expert for an interview segment (or a writer for an article) on Swedish players/prospects.

He knows his stuff.

I like that he was critical of Pettersson. Elias was good but not outstanding. He was one of Sweden’s best players but he didn’t dominate the tournament. 

Also have remember that Uffe has been very high on Pettersson and has come pretty close to anointing the kid as the heir apparent to Swedish hockey. So anything less than a 1993 Forsberg WJC performance was probably a disappointment.

I take that as;

> He has been (much) better in the SHL than we expected of him when drafted. To say the least...

> He was probably on par with expectations at the WJC, in comparison to when he was drafted. Just not the super hype from his SHL performance.

If anything, and as per the quote from Judd Brackett on the previous page > he is still ahead on his development curve?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Toews said:

Växjö lost yesterday to Liberec in the CHL semi-final. They need to win the game next week to advance to the Finals, hopefully Pettersson is good to go for that game. IMO its always nice to get a taste of winning for young prospects.  

I don't think Alf is even trying to be objective with that post. 

Clearly I have been ignorant of Alf's predilections. Clearly Alf blows the limiters on the Canuck 'Homer' microphones.  All good to me.  My zone of unreality tends to settle on the Sedins, where I only see them as guys who can't be trusted to start a shift in their own end, plus I am very anxious to get the rebuild underway so that I can see a cup contender before I am kicking up daisies.  I am trying to figure how we get a pair of 1 & 2 defencemen out of the next two drafts.  So far we are looking good on the coming draft.  Now if Benning can only wangle another mid to high first rounder from somewhere without giving up Horvat or Boeser...  Oh well, I can dream...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I believe the game actually ended in a 1 - 1 tie yesterday but I guess it is technically correct to say that Vaxjo needs to win next week. Not sure what the tie breaker would be if the game ends in a tie again. Overtime? Shootout?

If the same rule as soccer is applied, they got a 1-1 in an away game so they can advance if they 1)win by any score so an advantage on aggregate score or 2) 0-0 tie and advance by having more away goals. If final score is 1-1 in the second leg then they play OT/Shootout?

11 hours ago, cory40 said:

Does that mean Petterson will be able to be signed and play here this year if they are eliminated?

No this is extra league stuff. If they are eliminated from the Champions Hockey League then they still have the SEL season and playoffs to complete. I think they get a cash bonus if they win the CHL.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, blackpluto96 said:

If the same rule as soccer is applied, they got a 1-1 in an away game so they can advance if they 1)win by any score so an advantage on aggregate score or 2) 0-0 tie and advance by having more away goals. If final score is 1-1 in the second leg then they play OT/Shootout?

Thankfully, the CHL tourney doesn’t use soccer type away goals rules to decide winners. It’s a straight aggregate. If the teams are tied after 2 legs, they play a 10 minute sudden death OT (4v4). If no scoring in OT, they go to a shootout (5 rounds, plus additional tiebreakers if needed).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr53 said:

Elias draws into the line-up today for the first time since the WJC, and it looks like he's slotted as the #2 C!

Karlskrona is not a very good team, so it's a nice transition back to regular league play

And he is playing at Centre

6 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

That is an interesting new wrinkle, considering that Pesonen is still playing and he’s getting shifted to the wing so Elias can play center. 

Great to see. I’m sure the Canucks are thrilled with this development. Hopefully we see this repeated and Pettersson gets a good number of reps at center over the remaining regular season games.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Mr53 said:

Elias draws into the line-up today for the first time since the WJC, and it looks like he's slotted as the #2 C!

Karlskrona is not a very good team, so it's a nice transition back to regular league play

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo Center what will CDC do. He's too small he wasn't used as center before? Could he be developing still? What if he soon leads the Canucks in scoring or close to Boeser who is still developing. Imagine two 100 point players, Very possible.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Judd Brackett yesterday again talked about how they see him as a C.  Vaxjo probably realises that they have to play him at C if they want to have a chance to keep him next season.  He'll probably be signed by the Canucks.  

The SHL did a presentation at the GMs meeting last spring and explained that their league is losing of it's competitiveness because their best players are leaving for the AHL instead of staying in the SHL after being drafted.  They are concerned that they won't be able to continue to produce talent if their best players are not around for a few years.  They are asking teams to allow SHL players to develop in Sweden and have them jump directly to the NHL once they are ready - i.e. bypassing the AHL.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Not to make excuses but it's hard to be at one's best after battling the flu, which affected some of Team Sweden. Pettersson's numbers and the unbelievable skill he demonstrated under those circumstances was enough to prove that he could have dominated if it weren't for having the flu.

I tend to agree. I think the fact Växjö rested Pettersson nearly a full week (he skipped their CHL game on the 9th) probably speaks to where he was healthwise during the WJC and in the days immediately after the final. The flu is tough (I’m just getting over it myself) and most of us end up spending a few days or weeks in bed, versus traveling overseas to play several games of competitive hockey in a compressed tournament.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 4

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I tend to agree. I think the fact Växjö rested Pettersson nearly a full week (he skipped their CHL game on the 9th) probably speaks to where he was healthwise during the WJC and in the days immediately after the final. The flu is tough (I’m just getting over it myself) and most of us end up spending a few days or weeks in bed, versus traveling overseas to play several games of competitive hockey in a compressed tournament.

And at times he looked sluggish and was not given much ice time. Makes sense if he wasn't 100 percent. But still performed very well. 

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/9mEq6w/supertalangen-i-ny-roll-fatt-en-tryout

Could probably be translated with Google transate

Short translation:

Pettersson got a 5 game try-out as a centre, it has been the plan all season but coach Hallam didnt want to do it before the WJC because he didnt want to confuse him since he would probably be played on the wing there. 

He was happy with the performance and puck-control from this game and Pettersson ended with a FO% at 45.45 which shouldnt be tio bad since its his first time playing centre in about 2 years.

personally i Think this is better for his development but he wont have the same PPG centering the second line as he would have as a wing on the first

• Upvote 2