The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

29 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Pettersson is a franchise level talent.

Thank god they picked him over glass and learned from the Ehlers/Nylander 2014 disaster. Always pick elite skill and hockey sense over size.

Looking forward to seeing how EP looks in training camp. Him and Boeser unleashing bullets on the PP is definitely a drool-worthy thought.

Avoiding Nylander and Ehlers isn’t quite a disaster but they are lucky (the Canucks) in who they have.   Nice mix over past four drafts with range of types of players.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Mr53 said:

For those curious about his performance at centre:

Elias goes 8/13 for 61.54% in face-offs

Not a huge sample size, but certainly promising!

Almost all of his faceoff wins were clean...straight back to a D., ...he never seems to win a draw only to "split the D." and then the puck is in our end ...he get's it right to where it needs to go.

Which is also how he passes the puck....

6 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Thank god they picked him over glass and learned from the Ehlers/Nylander 2014 disaster. Always pick elite skill and hockey sense over size.

They are both highly regarded for their elite skill and hockey sense. So I don't really see how that situation is the same as 2014. Pettersson is taller than Glass, and could very well be heavier or just as heavy as Glass at the NHL level. Unless Glass turns out to be more like Ryan Johansen (which I believe is what Button said he seems like). 2014 was down between a power forward that can skate really well and score and a playmaking winger. Last year was between two playmaking centers (hypothetically, we don't really know who Vancouver coveted if Pettersson was for some reason taken earlier. Probably Heiskanen or whoever dropped outta the top 4). 2014 is hardly a "disaster". We got a NHLer that can still become a top 6 forward if the coaching staff ever gives the guy a chance. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Dunno what he’ll do when he needs to make a pass but has Boeser on one side and Elias on the other. Maybe pass back to Marky? ;) 

....don't be giving him any ideas....I think he spins in circles myself...

EP however is getting adept at stylistic diving...not to draw penalties but just to clear pucks or stick check or get the hell out of the way....

9 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

They are both highly regarded for their elite skill and hockey sense. So I don't really see how that situation is the same as 2014. Pettersson is taller than Glass, and could very well be heavier or just as heavy as Glass at the NHL level. Unless Glass turns out to be more like Ryan Johansen (which I believe is what Button said he seems like). 2014 was down between a power forward that can skate really well and score and a playmaking winger. Last year was between two playmaking centers (hypothetically, we don't really know who Vancouver coveted if Pettersson was for some reason taken earlier. Probably Heiskanen or whoever dropped outta the top 4). 2014 is hardly a "disaster". We got a NHLer that can still become a top 6 forward if the coaching staff ever gives the guy a chance. 

Cody Glass definitely doesn't have elite skill lol. He has decent to good hockey sense as well but nothing that blows you away in terms of creativity. If we picked Glass it would have been a disaster just like picking Virtanen over Ehlers/Nylander.

Just imagine Pettersson on the Rangers(reportedly extremely high on him and was their target at 7) doing what he is in the SHL while we have Glass who can't even outproduce Kole Lind who we got at pick 33. Glass left off the WJC as well. Canuck's universe would go nuclear.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Cody Glass definitely doesn't have elite skill lol. He has decent to good hockey sense as well but nothing that blows you away in terms of creativity. If we picked Glass it would have been a disaster just like picking Virtanen over Ehlers/Nylander.

Just imagine Pettersson on the Rangers(reportedly extremely high on him and was their target at 7) doing what he is in the SHL while we have Glass who can't even outproduce Kole Lind who we got at pick 33. Glass left off the WJC as well. Canuck's universe would go nuclear.

Lind was gift wrapped to us in the second round. His draft spot is not indicative of his offensive skills at the CHL level. Seemingly everyone here was surprised Lind made it to the second round. Hell I wanted an additional 1st to grab Lind. But Glass can score and is superior defensively imo. His skating has taken major strides this year alone. Glass has elite skill, whether or not you want to believe it doesn't matter. Elite skill is more than just dangling really nice, which lets be honest Pettersson has him beat hands down. The fact you said Glass has "decent to good hockey sense" is a joke as well. I love Pettersson as much as the next guy but you don't need to devalue other players skills to up sell Pettersson.

As for the WJC thing, it's really not that big of a deal. At this point a good few of us don't put much stock in it anymore. Pettersson in the 2 years he's been there has 8 points in 13 games, nothing to really write home about. You gonna freak out about it? Probably not cause it doesn't really matter. Owen Tippett didn't make team Canada, is he bad too? Is Gadjovich better than Tippett, Glass, and Lind? :o 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

If that's your definition of disaster life must be fairly traumatic for you.... 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Lind was gift wrapped to us in the second round. His draft spot is not indicative of his offensive skills at the CHL level. Seemingly everyone here was surprised Lind made it to the second round. Hell I wanted an additional 1st to grab Lind. But Glass can score and is superior defensively imo. His skating has taken major strides this year alone. Glass has elite skill, whether or not you want to believe it doesn't matter. Elite skill is more than just dangling really nice, which lets be honest Pettersson has him beat hands down. The fact you said Glass has "decent to good hockey sense" is a joke as well. I love Pettersson as much as the next guy but you don't need to devalue other players skills to up sell Pettersson.

As for the WJC thing, it's really not that big of a deal. At this point a good few of us don't put much stock in it anymore. Pettersson in the 2 years he's been there has 8 points in 13 games, nothing to really write home about. You gonna freak out about it? Probably not cause it doesn't really matter. Owen Tippett didn't make team Canada, is he bad too? Is Gadjovich better than Tippett, Glass, and Lind? :o 

Why would I freak about his point totals in the WJC? Watch the games and see the plays he makes and you wouldn't need to worry about his point totals at the WJC. Pettersson's hockey sense and mind for creative plays and vision are vastly superior to Cody Glass IMO. Which in my view puts him on another level. Pettersson had the highest ceiling in the draft. In his draft -1 he put up a PPG in a men's league( Allsvenskan - IMO a very underrated league) at 160 lbs. He has actually outdone that and thus far has put up >1.0PPG in the SHL. His growth from 18-19 years old has been astronomical. What can Pettersson accomplish at age 22 when he has fully grown into his body? 

Kole Lind Isn't that far off of Glass as a prospect. Why would you take a guy like Glass in the top 10 when you can get similar talent in the late first( where Kole should have gone) to the 2nd round. Like I said if we had Glass right now and another organization drafted Pettersson after us it would be a complete disaster similar to the 2014 draft where we pass on Nylander and Ehlers and they go on to be stars.

And just FYI, I do like Glass but see him as a second line centre whereas Pettersson is a franchise talent IMO.

• Upvote 2