The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

30 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Probably fair. Maybe not that he "would" have gone first but he certainly "could" have, if he had those extra 20 pounds.

His scoring numbers are outrageously good. First overall in SEAL adjusted points/GP and his numbers basically broke the projection models like pGPS because his historic scoring levels have no player comparables. And he's one of the most skilled players in the draft. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typo
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

A couple of links calling the Canucks losers for their first round pick:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2717660-2017-nhl-draft-results-biggest-winners-and-losers-of-round-1

http://nesn.com/2017/06/2017-nhl-draft-winners-losers-analyzing-best-worst-first-round-picks/

Posted not because I agree, but because it will be nice to have record of idiots.

Of course the Leafs were winners and the Canucks losers, written by some "sports writer/analyst" from the centre of the universe ;) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

You said you liked Pettersson, then you wanted Benning fired for taking Pettersson. That's a bit dramatic, and all of this based on what? There are reasons that scouts attend games and don't just watch the highlight packages posted to Youtube.

I've watched tons of Vilardi and Glass. Watched Petterson at WJC in like 3 games and wasn't blown away like I was with Juolevi in his underage year.

• Haha 1

Neither EP or Glass were my top choices, but I'll trust JB with this one. Loads of talent and potential. I also trust Bob McKenzie more than most when it comes to prospects, and for the record he had Pettersson ahead of Glass. Just saying. Bobby Mac had him at 7, so getting him at 5 is not a huge stretch and not as much off the board as many here would have you believe. Considering how a lot of the picks went, getting EP at 5 was a lot closer to his ranking than many others in the first few rounds.

18 hours ago, JamesB said:

Good analysis by @DownUndaCanuck. It is a bit more optimistic than I am, though. But I agree Pettersson is a high risk - high reward player. He could be the most skilled offensive player in the draft but there is some chance he never makes the NHL. It fine to say he will "bulk up", but there is difference between a guy who is 180 and 6-2 with wide shoulders and Pettersson. In the picture of him standing beside Aquillini it looks like his Canuck jersey in on a coat hanger. "Bulking up" is not that easy. It is also not desirable if is just extra upper body muscle mass as the extra weight slows down skating speed and can get in the way of quickness. You want guys who have size and strength naturally who can then augment it a bit with strength training. But expecting Pettersson to put on 30 lbs is unlikely.

I agree that Glass seems similar to Horvat  except I would say Glass is stronger offensively at this stage in his career. And I would have no problem with fours Bo Horvats playing center on all four lines for the Canucks.

One hopes that the extra meeting and scouting of Pettersson gives the Canucks more insight to his future size potential.  Fast skinny guys have done well in the NHL before.  He honestly reminds me physically of Nedved when we drafted him.  That didn't turn out all that well for us, there were better players to be had, but Nedved did have a decent career.  

The he next ad nausem debate of Pettersson vs Glass vs Vlardi is primed and ready.  I really hope, for the sake of the sanity of the CDC that Pettersson turns out to be found gold.  We have 900 plus pages on Jake vs etc...  Luckily Bo has out preformed Nuke.  

EmW

PS. We need to get Pettersson to train with Jake from last summer.... That will bulk up twiggy ;) 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 1

For everyone concerned with Pettersson...

in 2008 Erik Karlsson was 5'11" and 165. Elias Pettersson is 6'2" 165.

Karlsson is now 6'0" and 191 lbs. If Pettersson gets onto the right training regimen, he could very easily add 20-25 pounds, maybe as many as 30 pounds of muscle as he fills out.

6'2" and 195 lbs with his skillset would be insane. Definitely a pick for the future.

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Maybe. But this team isn't going to be good for three-four years anyway. I'd rather take the pick that can be an excellent player in five years than the pick that can be a very good player in two years.

We're going to be bad until 2021

We've plenty of time

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

So essentially hope ownership/management learned their lessons from Virt/McCann.

No lessons to be learned.  Except don't listen to the fans

5 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

One hopes that the extra meeting and scouting of Pettersson gives the Canucks more insight to his future size potential.  Fast skinny guys have done well in the NHL before.  He honestly reminds me physically of Nedved when we drafted him.  That didn't turn out all that well for us, there were better players to be had, but Nedved did have a decent career.  

The he next ad nausem debate of Pettersson vs Glass vs Vlardi is primed and ready.  I really hope, for the sake of the sanity of the CDC that Pettersson turns out to be found gold.  We have 900 plus pages on Jake vs etc...  Luckily Bo has out preformed Nuke.  

EmW

PS. We need to get Pettersson to train with Jake from last summer.... That will bulk up twiggy ;) 

Good point about 900 pages on Jake. I have been meaning to slip in a comment to the effect that we live in a crazy world if a forward in his draft+3 year who has 19 pts in the AHL (and is -11) gets this much attention.

Good line about training with Jake. I am guessing the Canucks will be trying keep Petterson away from Jake for a while. Expect to see him being chaperoned by the Sedins, and of course he and Dahlen are already friends.

10 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

For everyone concerned with Pettersson...

in 2008 Erik Karlsson was 5'11" and 165. Elias Pettersson is 6'2" 165.

Karlsson is now 6'0" and 191 lbs. If Pettersson gets onto the right training regimen, he could very easily add 20-25 pounds, maybe as many as 30 pounds of muscle as he fills out.

6'2" and 195 lbs with his skillset would be insane. Definitely a pick for the future.

When you are 6'2" and only weight 165 lbs, you probably could gain 15 lbs on your quads in one summer. 

If you have someone that is 5ft10 and 175, sure, there probably isn't much room to move up in weight. The same can't be said for Pettersson.

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Good point about 900 pages on Jake. I have been meaning to slip in a comment to the effect that we live in a crazy world if a forward in his draft+3 year who has 19 pts in the AHL (and is -11) gets this much attention.

Good line about training with Jake. I am guessing the Canucks will be trying keep Petterson away from Jake for a while. Expect to see him being chaperoned by the Sedins, and of course he and Dahlen are already friends.

And the fact that he is Swedish, and so you're almost guaranteed to have a low-maintenance prospect.

Just re watching the draft, noticed some remarks from the panel saying that all these kids go through rigorous questions from a sports psychologist.  Mentioned that at least one of the top prospects dropped a lot of spots back due to his performance on those questions. Couldn't help but think of Vilardi. Obviously it is speculation but it does add up. Anyways, happy with tour pick and look forward to him takimg over the number 1 centre spot. (Eventually)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

When you are 6'2" and only weight 165 lbs, you probably could gain 15 lbs on your quads in one summer. 

If you have someone that is 5ft10 and 175, sure, there probably isn't much room to move up in weight. The same can't be said for Pettersson.

One of my favorite (non canuck) players of all time, a gritty SOB, weighed 170  when he started out in the NHL (he says he weighed like 155 when he was drafted) ...and this was during the goon show 1980s-early 90s.  He ended up around 200-205lbs

CMVUuXDWoAAG9HK.jpg

Edited by Darius71