The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Pettersson is a franchise level talent.

Thank god they picked him over glass and learned from the Ehlers/Nylander 2014 disaster. Always pick elite skill and hockey sense over size.

Looking forward to seeing how EP looks in training camp. Him and Boeser unleashing bullets on the PP is definitely a drool-worthy thought.

Pettersson will be elite, not a franchise level talent.

2 hours ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Why would I freak about his point totals in the WJC? Watch the games and see the plays he makes and you wouldn't need to worry about his point totals at the WJC. Pettersson's hockey sense and mind for creative plays and vision are vastly superior to Cody Glass IMO. Which in my view puts him on another level. Pettersson had the highest ceiling in the draft. In his draft -1 he put up a PPG in a men's league( Allsvenskan - IMO a very underrated league) at 160 lbs. He has actually outdone that and thus far has put up >1.0PPG in the SHL. His growth from 18-19 years old has been astronomical. What can Pettersson accomplish at age 22 when he has fully grown into his body? 

Kole Lind Isn't that far off of Glass as a prospect. Why would you take a guy like Glass in the top 10 when you can get similar talent in the late first( where Kole should have gone) to the 2nd round. Like I said if we had Glass right now and another organization drafted Pettersson after us it would be a complete disaster similar to the 2014 draft where we pass on Nylander and Ehlers and they go on to be stars.

And just FYI, I do like Glass but see him as a second line centre whereas Pettersson is a franchise talent IMO.

I heard one of the announcers at the WJC say that Pettersson was listed by the Swedes at 175.  Can't prove it, just heard it.  Thought he said it was in their guide.  Anybody have access to one?

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

How can you possibly compare that scenario?  Glass has 62 points in 41 games, he's 6'2 and plays center.  People around here have found plenty of excuses for Virtanen despite his lack of production, I'm pretty sure Glass would have plenty of support around here had we selected him, in fact, people would be saying Petterson is too skinny his game won't translate to the NHL(the exact same thing people said about Nylander and Ehlers. 

"Kole Lind Isn't that far off of Glass as a prospect. Why would you take a guy like Glass in the top 10 when you can get similar talent in the late first( where Kole should have gone) to the 2nd round"

This is just hindsight, last year Glass was clearly the more valuable prospect and still is based on the position he plays alone, the rest is up for debate

You're either extremely overrating Cody Glass or Underrating Pettersson. Pettersson is tracking like a true Franchise level prospect. He is having a top 3 SHL season for u20 ever in the history of the league. Better than the Sedins, Zetterberg, Backstrom etc. These prospects are extremely difficult to obtain. It would be devasting if we let him slip past us and have him go on to be a star with another team. It would be 2014 all over again. 

I don't think you understand how easy it is to get prospects like Cody Glass. These are good prospects but nothing special. He diidn't even make team Canada, a team with zero star forward prospects. At least Virtanen made team Canada. The guy is on pace for points with our 2nd round pick Kole Lind.

The people who say he's "too skinny" or He'll get destroyed in the Western Conference" hurr durr are people you shouldn't take too seriously. The league is shifting towards the Pettersson/Ehlers/Nylander type of players. Speed, Skill and Sense. 

22 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I heard one of the announcers at the WJC say that Pettersson was listed by the Swedes at 175.  Can't prove it, just heard it.  Thought he said it was in their guide.  Anybody have access to one?

I heard 168 but could be wrong. Think it was a Pettersson interview on 650.

13 hours ago, Kushman said:

read that the Swedish team left two forward spots open that they'll announce in the next couple weeks. Still a chance Pettersson makes it? There's still hope

He's not on the short list - Lias Andersson, Robert Nilsson, Andreas Engqvist and André Petersson.  They were left off because of injury and two will at least be healthy by then.  McKenzie said 2-4 weeks for Andersson so he should be ready to go by the end of the month at the very latest.  André Petersson returned to play yesterday.

Edited by mll

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

From Pettersson himself:

32 minutes ago, mll said:

He's not on the short list - Lias Andersson, Robert Nilsson, Andreas Engqvist and André Petersson.  They were left off because of injury and two will at least be healthy by then.  McKenzie said 2-4 weeks for Andersson so he should be ready to go by the end of the month at the very latest.  André Petersson returned to play yesterday.

Some lucky Korean fan could get a silver medal when Lias Andersson tosses it into the stands. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

How can you possibly compare that scenario?  Glass has 62 points in 41 games, he's 6'2 and plays center.  People around here have found plenty of excuses for Virtanen despite his lack of production, I'm pretty sure Glass would have plenty of support around here had we selected him, in fact, people would be saying Petterson is too skinny his game won't translate to the NHL(the exact same thing people said about Nylander and Ehlers. 

"Kole Lind Isn't that far off of Glass as a prospect. Why would you take a guy like Glass in the top 10 when you can get similar talent in the late first( where Kole should have gone) to the 2nd round"

This is just hindsight, last year Glass was clearly the more valuable prospect and still is based on the position he plays alone, the rest is up for debate

Trying to find the point you are making. 

As for wrapping our draft picks in the Canucks banner, well that is a good thing, and Glass is a defensible pick at 5.

Lots of reason to see that Glass would be a solid 2nd line center potentially in the NHL in 3 years. 

Nothing wrong with that as a 6th pick in a weaker draft year. 

He is a valuable player ahead of Lind, but the margin is thin. It’s not like one player is heads and shoulders better than the other at this point. 

Lind does play wing, but can play center. He is on a weaker team and is by far the biggest driver of offence for the Rockets. 

Glass is a good points producer, solid face off guy and plays on a better team with more offensive talent around him. 

So Glass vs Lind, super close except that Glass was drafted in the top end of the draft and Lind was in the second round. 

As for Glass vs Pettersson.  Thank goodness we don’t need to hash that out. It’s pretty clear at this point who is leading the way as the better player.  Highly unlikely that Glass could do what Pettersson is doing in the SEL.

Heck only two players had better numbers at this point and age and that’s Forsberg (Peter) and Kent Nilsson. 

That’s astonishing and it clearly makes Pettersson heads and shoulders a better pick than Glass atm. 

Btw, it’s not that picking Glass could/would be a mistake. Just that getting Pettersson was idiot savant/genius and the added bonus was picking a player that matches up well against Glass in the second round. 

This is all far too early to see how it all shakes out.  I won’t say which player will make a bigger impact in NHL because they have to play in the NHL and lots of things can happen between now and then. 

Time will tell and JB rocked the last draft. Added to that he is also addressing team needs along the way. If we can land a top talent in this draft, either Center or Defense will be set moving forward. 

EmW

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

His measures at the combine:  Elias Pettersson: 6-foot-1.75, 164.62 pounds

https://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-combine-heights-weights/

I'm glad thag he's trending up but I'm now a firm believer that he has the talent to overcome his size like Kane and Johnny hockey. Subban and shinkaruk are examples of those who didn't.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RebuildTheRightWay(RTRW) said:

Yet he's destroying proven franchise players' scoring pace in the same league they established them.   

Sorry,  I believe the kid is making a statement contrary to yours.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, RebuildTheRightWay(RTRW) said:

Elite player that is not franchise level talent? 

Can you define elite and franchise level talent.  Can a player be a franchise talent but not elite?

Crosby, McDavid are both elite level talent and franchise players.

Patrick Kane? Elite level talent but not franchise level talent?

Jonathan Toewes? Franchise player but not elite?

How about Henrik Sedin? Elite but not franchise level?

To me, being elite is like being top 10 or top 20 in the league in something, like goal scoring abilities, points scoring, and etc. So if a player is top 10 in something, I'd say that is a franchise level talent. So if Elias will be elite, then I think he will be a franchise level talent. But from what you say, I interpret it to mean that a player can be elite but not franchise level talent. Is it correct to assume that in your definition, Patrick Kane is elite, but by himself he would not have resurrected the Hawks so not a franchise level player. On the other hand, Jonathan Toewes is not elite, but he is a franchise level player? 

Kinda weird. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, PlanB said:

Yet he's destroying proven franchise players' scoring pace in the same league they established them.   

Sorry,  I believe the kid is making a statement contrary to yours.

There's more to hockey than just points.  Pettersson still needs to get at least 20lbs heavier before he is going to be remotely close to franchise level talent.  Sure he is playing against men right now but it's on the bigger ice in a much less physical league.  If he does fill out and get to 190+ lbs than I can see him having a chance at being a franchise talent. Right now he has the potential to be an elite player but there is still potential he never gets strong enough to be much more than an great talent. 

10 hours ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Why would I freak about his point totals in the WJC? Watch the games and see the plays he makes and you wouldn't need to worry about his point totals at the WJC. Pettersson's hockey sense and mind for creative plays and vision are vastly superior to Cody Glass IMO. Which in my view puts him on another level. Pettersson had the highest ceiling in the draft. In his draft -1 he put up a PPG in a men's league( Allsvenskan - IMO a very underrated league) at 160 lbs. He has actually outdone that and thus far has put up >1.0PPG in the SHL. His growth from 18-19 years old has been astronomical. What can Pettersson accomplish at age 22 when he has fully grown into his body? 

Kole Lind Isn't that far off of Glass as a prospect. Why would you take a guy like Glass in the top 10 when you can get similar talent in the late first( where Kole should have gone) to the 2nd round. Like I said if we had Glass right now and another organization drafted Pettersson after us it would be a complete disaster similar to the 2014 draft where we pass on Nylander and Ehlers and they go on to be stars.

And just FYI, I do like Glass but see him as a second line centre whereas Pettersson is a franchise talent IMO.

I agree. If Pettersson had a Naslund type sniper on his line, I think Pettersson would have put up more points.

I also think that with his vision, maybe the Canucks should try him out at C for 5-on-5, although I think Pettersson-Bo-Boes is going to be a great line as well.

Edited by khay