The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, messier's_elbow said:

I like how Petterson is a slick playmaker and I see his ceiling being a Backstrom type....I think Vilardi will be back at centre next year. Steal of a pick for LA... 

Its just a higher ceiling that I think Benning liked. We have a player like Vilardi in Horvat and to have a bit of diversity up front is a positive. I wanted Vilardi too but I'm liking the pick more and more. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, messier's_elbow said:

I like how Petterson is a slick playmaker and I see his ceiling being a Backstrom type....I think Vilardi will be back at centre next year. Steal of a pick for LA... 

Vilardi is definitely a steal at 11.

Petterson, if he develops well, will

be dominant. He creates space for himself. And he distributes like a boss. 

I'm stoked.

• Upvote 2

Just now, NameFaker said:

I'm stoked.

I was pissed at first but I'm liking the pick more then I originally did. If he bulks up he could be a great PP guy and a good second line centre. Vilardi is the steal of the draft. I'm obviously not a pro scout but I can't fathom how he slid to 11. I know his skating needs work but it blew my mind. 

People say he's a risky pick but as long as he gets to 180-190 pounds which I'm fairly sure he will, I think it'll be hard for him not to succeed with the height, skill, and instincts he has.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

Of course I meant on tv smart ass. Look at my previous posts I'm not always right but I often am. This wouldn't be the first first time I went against popular opinion and was right. I don't even hate the pick I just really wanted Vilardi or Glass. Petterson will be a good player but I think his trajectory is longer then the other guys. Teams will regret passing on Vilardi. When I'm proven right all you guys will vanish I'm sure. 

You're probably right.  Vilardi was my pick too.

But Petterson isn't terrible either.  He's a solid choice and fits our timeline if 3-5 years of sucking before competing.

Plus even though I wanted Vilardi he's now a King so....screw that 11th place chump 

• Upvote 3

On 6/24/2017 at 5:57 PM, Canuck Drogo said:

I just got in a debate with a guy I know at Canadian tire lol. He was bashing Petterson for being too skinny and kept going on about how much of a beast Glass is. I asked him if he was aware that Glass and Petterson are both 6'2" and that there's only 13 pounds difference between the two, and that Petterson put up his numbers playing against men. I then dropped the mic and exited the premises lol. 

Of course this kid needs to fill out, and he will. Who knows if he'll be better than Glass or not. But to hate on him because of 13 pound difference is ridiculous in mind. 

!#$@ yeah DROGO!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NameFaker said:

I'm stoked.

Vilardi didn't just fall... he plummeted. It is not like Benning passed on Vilardi, another team drafted for position, and then Vilardi fell into the lap of the next team. Vilardi dropped 5-8 spots from his projection. It wasn't just Benning that became wary of him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

I was pissed at first but I'm liking the pick more then I originally did. If he bulks up he could be a great PP guy and a good second line centre. Vilardi is the steal of the draft. I'm obviously not a pro scout but I can't fathom how he slid to 11. I know his skating needs work but it blew my mind. 

It depends on his development curve but I think Petterson can be a first line guy.

Vilardi is just so damn smart. Still processing his slide...

1 minute ago, coastal1 said:

Exactly. My guess is that he will be in Sweden for the next two years for starters.

I am perfectly fine with that.  The Canucks aren't ready to make any playoff noise just now anyway.  We can afford to take guys with a lot of potential but who aren't physically ready such as Juolevi and Pettersson.  We've got the Sedins around to mentor our younger guys while we stockpile prospects and develop them properly.

I was in the camp that really wanted Vilardi and I didn't want Pettersson at all.  But when there started to be noise about him I asked around and tried to research him.  By the time we picked him I was more than happy.  I'm glad the Canucks are being patient and taking a risk for offense.  This hasn't been the case in a long time.

• Upvote 2

On 2017-06-23 at 4:41 PM, messier's_elbow said:

Over Vilardi and Glass? Fire Benning please. 

Edit: After a few hours to let the pick sink in, I don't hate it. I'd still rather have Vilardi or Glass but if Petterson can fill out he looks like he could be a good player. His stats in his men's league are quite good. I'll give him a chance. 

You must be a Calgary fan

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

If Pettersson becomes a Backstrom, then JB's done good...real good.

I'll forget about Vilardi (as long as he doesn't become Getzlaf 2 and/ or Koptar 2)

Edited by Pete M

The haters can hate.  When Elias Pettersson makes his nhl debute when hes 20-30 pounds heavier.  I will be smiling ear to ear as I chuckle as he shows off his amazing talent and proves the haters wrong.  Ben Kuzma is a terd.

Kuzma twitter:

Wow. #Canucks pass on Cody Glass and Gabriel Valardi at No.5 to select Swedish playmaking C Elias Petterssen. #NHLDRAFT2017

muahahahhaahahaha  let Pettersson enter the hyperbolic training chamber . :) Out comes Elias "The Hulk" Pettersson!  Muahahahahaaaaa

petterssonnnnnn come out to playyyeeeeeeaaa. 

• Vintage 1