-Vintage Canuck-

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

On 6/24/2017 at 5:57 PM, Canuck Drogo said:

I just got in a debate with a guy I know at Canadian tire lol. He was bashing Petterson for being too skinny and kept going on about how much of a beast Glass is. I asked him if he was aware that Glass and Petterson are both 6'2" and that there's only 13 pounds difference between the two, and that Petterson put up his numbers playing against men. I then dropped the mic and exited the premises lol. 

Of course this kid needs to fill out, and he will. Who knows if he'll be better than Glass or not. But to hate on him because of 13 pound difference is ridiculous in mind. 

!#$@ yeah DROGO!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NameFaker said:

Vilardi is definitely a steal at 11.

Petterson, if he develops well, will

be dominant. He creates space for himself. And he distributes like a boss. 

I'm stoked.

Vilardi didn't just fall... he plummeted. It is not like Benning passed on Vilardi, another team drafted for position, and then Vilardi fell into the lap of the next team. Vilardi dropped 5-8 spots from his projection. It wasn't just Benning that became wary of him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

I was pissed at first but I'm liking the pick more then I originally did. If he bulks up he could be a great PP guy and a good second line centre. Vilardi is the steal of the draft. I'm obviously not a pro scout but I can't fathom how he slid to 11. I know his skating needs work but it blew my mind. 

It depends on his development curve but I think Petterson can be a first line guy.

Vilardi is just so damn smart. Still processing his slide...

16 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Fair enough. Hopefully Petterson is a stud but it's going to be a 3-4 year wait.

Exactly. My guess is that he will be in Sweden for the next two years for starters.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, coastal1 said:

Exactly. My guess is that he will be in Sweden for the next two years for starters.

I am perfectly fine with that.  The Canucks aren't ready to make any playoff noise just now anyway.  We can afford to take guys with a lot of potential but who aren't physically ready such as Juolevi and Pettersson.  We've got the Sedins around to mentor our younger guys while we stockpile prospects and develop them properly.

I was in the camp that really wanted Vilardi and I didn't want Pettersson at all.  But when there started to be noise about him I asked around and tried to research him.  By the time we picked him I was more than happy.  I'm glad the Canucks are being patient and taking a risk for offense.  This hasn't been the case in a long time.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, NameFaker said:

It depends on his development curve but I think Petterson can be a first line guy.

Vilardi is just so damn smart. Still processing his slide...

The Vilardi slide reminds me of how far Filip Forsberg slid his draft year. 

• Upvote 1

On 2017-06-23 at 4:41 PM, messier's_elbow said:

Over Vilardi and Glass? Fire Benning please. 

Edit: After a few hours to let the pick sink in, I don't hate it. I'd still rather have Vilardi or Glass but if Petterson can fill out he looks like he could be a good player. His stats in his men's league are quite good. I'll give him a chance. 

You must be a Calgary fan

• Upvote 1

It seems lik every team had a player in mind in the top 10. I don't think Vilardi was avoided, but people just went sideways with tm what they wanted. 

2 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

I like how Petterson is a slick playmaker and I see his ceiling being a Backstrom type....I think Vilardi will be back at centre next year. Steal of a pick for LA... 

If Pettersson becomes a Backstrom, then JB's done good...real good.

I'll forget about Vilardi (as long as he doesn't become Getzlaf 2 and/ or Koptar 2)

Edited by Pete M

The haters can hate.  When Elias Pettersson makes his nhl debute when hes 20-30 pounds heavier.  I will be smiling ear to ear as I chuckle as he shows off his amazing talent and proves the haters wrong.  Ben Kuzma is a terd.

Kuzma twitter:

Wow. #Canucks pass on Cody Glass and Gabriel Valardi at No.5 to select Swedish playmaking C Elias Petterssen. #NHLDRAFT2017

muahahahhaahahaha  let Pettersson enter the hyperbolic training chamber . :) Out comes Elias "The Hulk" Pettersson!  Muahahahahaaaaa

petterssonnnnnn come out to playyyeeeeeeaaa. 

I am def a little disapointed that we didn't draft Cody Glass. I got to watch him a lot this year playing in games in PG and he was a beast. It is a bit of a head sctratcher for me too, Glass was the obvious next choice for several teams. We should have at least traded down a couple picks if we were set on Pettersson. He would have still been available at 8 and 9. We could have used an extra 2nd or 3rd or something for that whiff. 

I was high on Vilardi but I don't mind Pettersson.

Dude has some serious skill and smarts.

5 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

We should have at least traded down a couple picks if we were set on Pettersson. He would have still been available at 8 and 9.

Well we did almost pull off a move to 6th until Vegas backed out. And I've read that the Rags were looking seriously at taking Pettersson if he was still on the board at 7. So probably we did all we could (and we almost got an extra pick out of McPhee).

I honestly don't think Pettersson would have been available if we'd traded down to 8 or 9.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well we did almost pull off a move to 6th until Vegas backed out. And I've read that the Rags were looking seriously at taking Pettersson if he was still on the board at 7. So probably we did all we could (and we almost got an extra pick out of McPhee).

I honestly don't think Pettersson would have been available if we'd traded down to 8 or 9.

So right.  Maybe Petersson was the guy Vegas wanted too?  Once Vegas selected Glass, of course they're not going to say he wasn't their guy.

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So right.  Maybe Petersson was the guy Vegas wanted too?  Once Vegas selected Glass, of course they're not going to say he wasn't their guy.

Not only that but everyone saying we should have traded down are assuming everyone below us WANTED to trade up.  It may not have been worth it for those other teams.  So unless JB managed to convince a team to buy in to something they didn't want uses car salesman style, it wasn't terribly likely.

We should be happy Pettersson is only 165 pounds.  Add even 15 pounds to his weight, and I doubt he would have been available at 5.  The good news is his weight is on an upwards trajectory since he says he's gained 10 or 12 pounds over the previous year.  When I read about him, it sounds like his skill level and hockey IQ is up there with Hischier and Patrick. I'm looking forward to following him over the next 2 years.  After that, I wouldn't be surprised  to see him playing for the Canucks.

• Upvote 2