The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, BI3KSALLENT said:

Just curious but it says on the SEAL chart he had 18g-21A-43gp, but he finished the season with 19g-22A-43gp on Elite so are the charts #'s wrong for him?

Shoot out winner is a goal in sweden so they probably took that one out. However his 6 points in 3 playoff games more than makes up for that difference.

Taking out the shootout winner and adding playoffs brings him ti 46 in 46.

21 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

One thing that seems readily apparent is that Pettersson has a fantastic effect on his linemates. His GF% WOWY chart, shown below, is just about as ideal as one could imagine: every single player he played with had significantly better on-ice results with him than away from him – including Dahlen.

elias-pettersson-gf-wowy.png

That's what a true playmaking center should do.

It might also at least partially explains why he was less effective in international competition (playing the wing as opposed to center).

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Wasn't EP one of the younger players on the Swedish WJC roster? (which would explain his low production)

There was only 3 players his age including him, as well as Rasmus Dahlin who was 16 at the time of the tournament.

Elias Pettersson: 0-1-1pt in 6gp

Lias Andersson: 3-0-3pt in 7gp

Rasmus Dahlin: 1-1-2pt in 7gp

Filip Gustavsson: .947% 2.00GAA 1gp

5 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Even if Gadjovispch, Boeser or Jake are on the other side? With Horvat Granlund and one of the above on the next line.  

I get the "line" mix approach - skill/size etc, but in the playoffs it's more one on one as teams will focus in on weakness. Your top players need to be able to play through the grind.

If our top line is Dahlen and Pettersen and ? I must admit I am a little concerned. Again, time will tell and I hope my concerns are just that.  But after watching the Penguins and Nashville go at it........ Crosby doesn't back down or shy away.  Neither do Toews or Kopitar. 

You could see McDavid was surprised with how even the stars get treated when the real season starts. He kept looking at the Ref's and they kept letting 'em play. He will need to learn to suck it up and play through it.

Edited by Borvat
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I get the "line" mix approach - skill/size etc, but in the playoffs it's more one on one as teams will focus in on weakness. Your top players need to be able to play through the grind.

If our top line is Dahlen and Pettersen and ? I must admit I am a little concerned. Again, time will tell and I hope my concerns are just that.  But after watching the Penguins and Nashville go at it........ Crosby doesn't back down or shy away.  Neither do Toews or Kopitar. 

You could see McDavid was surprised with how even the stars get treated when the real season starts. He kept looking at the Ref's and they kept letting 'em play. He will need to learn to suck it up and play through it.

Where is the basis for this argument? Just look at how many times he gets shoved or hit hard into the boards, no matter how hard he goes down, he always gets back up. He's shown countless times that when the going gets tough he steps his game up. You can reference the WJC all you want but one tournament doesn't make a player. Also he didn't put up stats in the WJC but he definitely was impressive. He dangled through defenses with ease several times and just got unlucky with the finish and he did that being one of the youngest players on the team. 

58 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I think that the twin analogy is leading people to forecast Dalhen and Pettersson on the same line.  

Nowhere is it written this must be so. I think keeping the twins on the same line held them back and has made it far easier to defend their attack. 

My advise, just be happy we have two good prospects that already have chemistry and let it play out from there. 

For all we know Jake and Jonah could end up with Pettersson as their center. That's some meat and potatoes... 

18 minutes ago, Wonder__Bread said:

Where is the basis for this argument? Just look at how many times he gets shoved or hit hard into the boards, no matter how hard he goes down, he always gets back up. He's shown countless times that when the going gets tough he steps his game up. You can reference the WJC all you want but one tournament doesn't make a player. Also he didn't put up stats in the WJC but he definitely was impressive. He dangled through defenses with ease several times and just got unlucky with the finish and he did that being one of the youngest players on the team. 

Apparently he was injured for some of the WJC.  Playing wing. If true, it shows some guts and ability to play thru pain. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Borvat said:

Little Jake did pretty good in the playoffs.

Looked back at the draft year highlights for Nylander, Pastrnak, and Wennberg. Pettersson is easily there with those guys in terms of skill.

Wennberg was 6'1.5" 185

Pastrnak was 5'11" 170

Nylander was 5'11.5" 173

Even last year in the playoffs he had 4 points in 5 games, and then followed that up with 6 in 3 games this year. He is a playoff performer more than an international tournament performer.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Derp... said:

Looked back at the draft year highlights for Nylander, Pastrnak, and Wennberg. Pettersson is easily there with those guys in terms of skill.

Wennberg was 6'1.5" 185

Pastrnak was 5'11" 170

Nylander was 5'11.5" 173

Even last year in the playoffs he had 4 points in 5 games, and then followed that up with 6 in 3 games this year. He is a playoff performer more than an international tournament performer.

I mentioned That a few pages back. I don't think many people even glanced at his playoff stats. Off the charts.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I mentioned That a few pages back. I don't think many people even glanced at his playoff stats. Off the charts.

Nice one, ya even compared to those other top prospects he out performed all of the in the postseason. 

On 6/28/2017 at 4:53 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That's what a true playmaking center should do.

It might also at least partially explains why he was less effective in international competition (playing the wing as opposed to center).

He didn't have best WJC but was a beast at his other Intl play last year getting 7 points in 3 games or something like that.   Interesting to see how this year goes for him as wiling to bet it will be stronger.

On 2017-06-28 at 10:41 PM, Derp... said:

Wennberg was 6'1.5" 185

Pastrnak was 5'11" 170

Nylander was 5'11.5" 173

Sample size is a little small for playoffs, but it definitely looks good. We don't need another Edler that plays better in Sweden's jersey than ours.

• Upvote 1