The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

14 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Sample size is a little small for playoffs, but it definitely looks good. We don't need another Edler that plays better in Sweden's jersey than ours.

Line mates and team depth matter. 

• Upvote 4

On 6/28/2017 at 11:41 PM, Derp... said:

Looked back at the draft year highlights for Nylander, Pastrnak, and Wennberg. Pettersson is easily there with those guys in terms of skill.

Wennberg was 6'1.5" 185

Pastrnak was 5'11" 170

Nylander was 5'11.5" 173

Even last year in the playoffs he had 4 points in 5 games, and then followed that up with 6 in 3 games this year. He is a playoff performer more than an international tournament performer.

Not sure about those weights, if we are discussing pettersson weight and height compared to these players, it should be compared to the combine stats we are going by and those weights are higher for those players.

Pettersson was 165 at the combine

Nylander 5'11 was 169 at the combine

Pastrnak 6'0 was 167 at the combine.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Ghost-M said:

Not sure about those weights, if we are discussing pettersson weight and height compared to these players, it should be compared to the combine stats we are going by and those weights are higher for those players.

Even better then! Thanks for grabbing those. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ghost-M said:

And Pastrnak was in the AHL and NHL the very next season, and produced.  Granted, he's 2" shorter than Elias at a similar weight.

On 6/28/2017 at 10:41 PM, Derp... said:

Looked back at the draft year highlights for Nylander, Pastrnak, and Wennberg. Pettersson is easily there with those guys in terms of skill.

Wennberg was 6'1.5" 185

Pastrnak was 5'11" 170

Nylander was 5'11.5" 173

Even last year in the playoffs he had 4 points in 5 games, and then followed that up with 6 in 3 games this year. He is a playoff performer more than an international tournament performer.

Why does everyone harp on one tournament (WJC) where he as somewhat injured and played out of position.  During the Four Nations tournament in Gothenburg in November, also against U20 competition and of high calibre similar to WJC, he put up seven points in just three games. However, as it isn't North American centric the Four Nations tournaments get significantly less attention than the WJC, so the latter performance is the one that is typically talked about.   This may have benefited the Canucks in grabbing him at 5 versus someone taking him earlier potentially as perhaps that WJC stat is what shied some teams away.

45 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why does everyone harp on one tournament (WJC) where he as somewhat injured and played out of position.  During the Four Nations tournament in Gothenburg in November, also against U20 competition and of high calibre similar to WJC, he put up seven points in just three games. However, as it isn't North American centric the Four Nations tournaments get significantly less attention than the WJC, so the latter performance is the one that is typically talked about.   This may have benefited the Canucks in grabbing him at 5 versus someone taking him earlier potentially as perhaps that WJC stat is what shied some teams away.

What allowed the Canucks to grab him at 5 was simply the crazy high value for top 4 dmen this draft. I also agree with you in that it was just a tournament which he didn't play well. Which shouldn't make or break his career.

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

International Jr. Career Stats For All Tournaments:

11G 26A in 60 Games
0.62 Points Per Game

Career Playoff Stats:

12G 23A in 22 Games 

1.59 Points Per Game

1 3 game tournament is a small sample size compared to his performance over his career. I understand that tournament get's overlooked, but it doesn't impact his career totals much.

9 minutes ago, Derp... said:

International Jr. Career Stats For All Tournaments:

11G 26A in 60 Games
0.62 Points Per Game

Career Playoff Stats:

12G 23A in 22 Games 

1.59 Points Per Game

1 3 game tournament is a small sample size compared to his performance over his career. I understand that tournament get's overlooked, but it doesn't impact his career totals much.

"Career" stats for a kid is an interesting thing.  I was just talking about last season.   When a kid is this young, taking stuff from even a year ago and using it in aggregate is pretty teunous when looking for trends.

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

"Career" stats for a kid is an interesting thing.  I was just talking about last season.   When a kid is this young, taking stuff from even a year ago and using it in aggregate is pretty teunous when looking for trends.

I agree, but I do think it is a better long term indication of performance than any 1 tournament by itself. Agreed?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Derp... said:

I agree, but I do think it is a better long term indication of performance than any 1 tournament by itself. Agreed?

Agreed but still think with anyone under 20, let's take it a season at a time.

If we don't draft Rasmus Dahlin next year I would love if we could get Andrei Svechnikov. I think his combination of size, shot, offence, and hard play would round out a forward line nicely with Petterson & Dahlen 

Dahlen Petterson Svechnikov 

3 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

If we don't draft Rasmus Dahlin next year I would love if we could get Andrei Svechnikov. I think his combination of size, shot, offence, and hard play would round out a forward line nicely with Petterson & Dahlen 

Dahlen Petterson Svechnikov 

Svech would be in the league before Dahlen and Pettersson. 

On 6/23/2017 at 4:51 PM, Warhippy said:

The biggest fear I have with Petterson is his ability to actually gain weight

Look at the breadth of his shoulders.  He's not much different than the female anouncer.  They're about as wide across the shoulders as each other.

That slight of a frame will have a very tough time putting on weight and I can see him around 180 pounds in 2-4 years.

Think about a 180 pound center here in the west/pacific as a 1st line center.

I have a lot of faith and hope in him but there's a long LONG term project in our organization in Petterson

Patrick Kane is 175 lbs today. How's he been doing playing at that weight & under all his life.

I believe Datsyuk wasn't a huge man either. etc.

Edited by CoolCanucklehead

9 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

His take on Gunnarsson 

His take on Dahlen..

His best friend on Pettersson..

Linden on both Pettersson and Dahlen

Man, I just hope if these two are to carry our first line hopes we get a good 3rd man capable of destroying anyone who takes liberties.

We don't want history repeating itself. We have had nearly 15 years of being fore-warned and to ignore the past mistakes and worse still repeat them is incompetent.

Maybe Jonah Gadjovich is up to the task, who knows, but we better have someone lined up and soon.

28 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Man, I just hope if these two are to carry our first line hopes we get a good 3rd man capable of destroying anyone who takes liberties.

We don't want history repeating itself. We have had nearly 15 years of being fore-warned and to ignore the past mistakes and worse still repeat them is incompetent.

Maybe Jonah Gadjovich is up to the task, who knows, but we better have someone lined up and soon.

Or maybe even Virtanen, I still haven't given up on him yet

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I think Jonah could very well be the guy. He played along side a similar, high skilled centeman in Nick Suzuki and thrived there. He also seems super motivated, with an excellent work ethic. Obviously, there are a ton of variables that could derail this, but there is reason to believe that he could rise to the occasion.

Edit: Just had a look and realized that both Dahlen and Gadjovich are LW's, so it may not be an ideal pairing. That is unless one of them is fine playing off wing. I know some players can do it without missing a beat but I don't know enough about these guys to know if they're capable.

Edited by Bigturk8