The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Maybe Jonah Gadjovich is up to the task, who knows, but we better have someone lined up and soon.

This just seems impatient to me. We don't even have a line yet. We don't know what that line will even look like. It's all speculation. So to say we need someone "soon".... that way of thinking just seems so illogical to me. It's basically the kid in the back of the car going "are we there yet" when you practically just started the trip. So much can happen in the meantime. Look at how we looked not even 5 years ago....

Edited by The Lock

I'm really not concerned about Pettersson's size.  He has a good frame, and for whatever reason I'm pretty confident he will do what is required to get his body into a form suitable for playing in the NHL - whatever that may be.

I'm actually pretty excited about having him in our system.  If you look at his highlights, he clearly has a very high level skill.  As long as he can translate that to the NHL game and we can support him with good linemates, I think he has a better-than-not chance of being a solid if not high end 1st line player in the NHL.  I sure hope so, because besides Horvat (who is great but is not likely to be an elite scorer) we don't have anybody else in our system who has a likely chance of stepping into a top center role.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bigturk8 said:

I think Jonah could very well be the guy. He played along side a similar, high skilled centeman in Nick Suzuki and thrived there. He also seems super motivated, with an excellent work ethic. Obviously, there are a ton of variables that could derail this, but there is reason to believe that he could rise to the occasion.

Edit: Just had a look and realized that both Dahlen and Gadjovich are LW's, so it may not be an ideal pairing. That is unless one of them is fine playing off wing. I know some players can do it without missing a beat but I don't know enough about these guys to know if they're capable.

Thats strange given what they say in above tweets about "finding each other" on the ice.

18 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Thats strange given what they say in above tweets about "finding each other" on the ice.

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.

Edit: I think it might be a misunderstanding. I meant that Dahlen and Gadjovich might not be a good paring of wingers for Pettersson. I didn't meant that Dahlen wouldn't be a good winger with Pettersson (I think it's already established that he is), but since both him and Gadjovich are left wingers, it's unlikely that they'll both play wing with Pettersson at the same time.

Edited by Bigturk8

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

This feels strangely like you're saying the Sedin era was a mistake. Or am I misreading something?

I get that people feel (sometimes legitimately but not always) that this team has had some issues with "pushback" and toughness over the past 15 years. But I'm not sure you can lay the blame for that at the feet of the twins. That's more of an overall roster issue. I think you could build a team that was plenty tough and still have the (prime) Sedins as your first line. And I'd argue that the best teams of the Sedin era had enough size and sandpaper to win in this league (both regular season and playoffs).

The Cup loss was more about injuries and an opposing goalie who got hot at the right time (and maybe some league shenanigans that tilted the ice against us).

I dont think we would have gotten better results if we'd just been tougher. In fact, whenever we played "old school playoff hockey" (and there were plenty of series under AV where we were the more physical team), it seems like whenever we'd crash and bang and look to intimidate, we just ended up with a parade to the penalty box.

I actually think the biggest mistake of the past 15 years was the way we overreacted to the Cup loss and tried to change the way we played. We had a winning formula and we the best team in the league for a time. The mistake IMO was thinking we needed to change that model to win.

Similarly, I think we can build a unit around Pettersson (assuming he develops as hoped) that can be an effective NHL first line. Especially backed up by Horvat's line and what hopefully becomes a very deep overall roster.

I do think the Sedins and Pettersson make for interesting comparables though. The twins have played their entire careers at around 185 lbs. When they started out, some of that was "baby fat" and they eventually leaned out and replaced their body fat with muscle.

With Pettersson, if he can add some muscle mass, could very well top out at a similar weight and build to the twins. And I don't see him having issues playing in the NHL at that size. Especially given how well he's already performed against men in Sweden at his current weight. Plus he's quite willing to go to the tough areas and really doesn't shy away from contact. He'll never play a "heavy game" but I also don't think he's the type of player to wilt when faced with the physicality of the NHL. He does need to get stronger. That much is obvious. But if he adds the muscle and gets to 180ish lbs (and apparently he's already working with a trainer toward that goal), I think he's gonna be fine.

I don't know where you got that impression from.

Unless you have been asleep for the last 15 years, you would know that players have been taking liberties with the Sedins for years and Canucks fans have been saying they needed protection for years.

I don't want to see a repeat of the Boston shenanigans ever again. That as much as anything cost us the SC. It also caused our demise against the Sharks and LA.

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

This just seems impatient to me. We don't even have a line yet. We don't know what that line will even look like. It's all speculation. So to say we need someone "soon".... that way of thinking just seems so illogical to me. It's basically the kid in the back of the car going "are we there yet" when you practically just started the trip. So much can happen in the meantime. Look at how we looked not even 5 years ago....

Not really, that is just your interpretation. What I'm saying is we are going for skilled players and it is my opinion that in the playoffs skilled players become targets. It happened with the Sedins and if we don't learn lessons it will happen again if we rely purely on speed and skill.

Of course it is speculation to say that the two young Swedes will be paired on a line together but they have history and so it is not so far fetched. 

I'm not hurrying anything, I am saying building a Cup winning team requires forethought and allowing for many contingencies.

22 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.

Edit: I think it might be a misunderstanding. I meant that Dahlen and Gadjovich might not be a good paring of wingers for Pettersson. I didn't meant that Dahlen wouldn't be a good winger with Pettersson (I think it's already established that he is), but since both him and Gadjovich are left wingers, it's unlikely that they'll both play wing with Pettersson at the same time.

Ok I see what you mean. That said it wouldn't be the first time a player has been drafted in on his wrong side to counter a specific threat, in fact it could be that it would be the more talented winger who switched. Anyway this is as I said just a speculative solution to a like problem. Someone has also mentioned Virtanen as a possible candidate so I suppose there may be more than one option if the need arises.

One thing that is imo not in doubt though is we are lacking pushback in the prospective forward players apart from the players mentioned and that could be a problem given the  teams we are grouped with in the West.

22 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Ok I see what you mean. That said it wouldn't be the first time a player has been drafted in on his wrong side to counter a specific threat, in fact it could be that it would be the more talented winger who switched. Anyway this is as I said just a speculative solution to a like problem. Someone has also mentioned Virtanen as a possible candidate so I suppose there may be more than one option if the need arises.

One thing that is imo not in doubt though is we are lacking pushback in the prospective forward players apart from the players mentioned and that could be a problem given the  teams we are grouped with in the West.

Sign Kane next year.

Some mix of Kane, Virtanen and Gadjovich on our top 3 lines in the future would be just fine with me. 

30 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Sign Kane next year.

Some mix of Kane, Virtanen and Gadjovich on our top 3 lines in the future would be just fine with me. 

I have been against signing Kane in the past but that line sounds, real good! 

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I have been against signing Kane in the past but that line sounds, real good! 

Kane Petterson, Boeser

Dahlen, Horvat, Virtanen

Gadjovich, Gaudette, Goldobin/Lind/Lockwood

No idea where everybody fits....cream will rise to the top...some of these guys WILL need to be moved.

Edited by J.R.

34 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Kane Petterson, Boeser

Dahlen, Horvat, Virtanen

No idea where everybody fits....cream will rise to the top...some of these guys WILL need to be moved.

I think the plan is to keep dahlen and pettersson together, but 

Kane- horvat- boeser

Dahlin- pettersson- virtanen 

Baer- guadette- lind 

Gadjovich- guance/ufa- lockwood

Looks pretty good to me

• Upvote 2

On 6/28/2017 at 5:10 AM, The 5th Line said:

You don't think a player who weighs 220 pounds has a different playing style than a player who weighs 185?

Depends if said 220 lb player's signature playing style is throwing his weight around?

Or if said playing style consisted of darting in & out of traffic while dangling the puck. Evasive maneuvers, slick passes, body & puck control, clever shots. Getting out on the break? Guys of varying different weights, including Evgeny Malkin who is also 220 lbs, have exhibited such a playing style at an even greater level than Johansen has exhibited. Johansen & Malkin do use their weight from time to time. But its about playing style. Malkin is my style comparison, Johansen is Button's.

Even then, Petterson also has an enormous motor, and endurance. He'll get in on the fore-check, the back check. And disrupt plays to create turnovers and more chances. You guys will ultimately like this pick. Even if he is not 220 lbs.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Kane Petterson, Boeser

Dahlen, Horvat, Virtanen

That top line almost makes me horny!  :rolleyes:

But I think I like the looks of a Kane / Horvat / Virtanen 2knd line even more?  Awfully big, fast, imposing & in your face, to the net line! It would have to draw some of the Kesler type big centers. Just to handle the matchup complications? The genius of some of the semi-recent So Cal teams.Which would leave a Petterson line to run amok against lesser matchups?

And call me a homer, but I think Baertschi will make for some awfully stiff competition with Dahlen. To play with Petterson & Boeser. Baertchi is also awfully slick, like Dahlen. But also a touch bigger and faster (I think?)! We could also then offer the wicked speed and skill game the league is, quote/unquote, gravitating towards.

Baertschi Petterson Boeser

Kane Horvat Virtanen

Dahlen Gaudette Gadjovich

Lockwood Gaunce Lind

Who am I forgetting, Granlund? 

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

That top line almost makes me horny!  :rolleyes:

But I think I like the looks of a Kane / Horvat / Virtanen 2knd line even more?  Awfully big, fast, imposing & in your face, to the net line! It would have to draw some of the Kesler type big centers. Just to handle the matchup complications? The genius of some of the semi-recent So Cal teams.Which would leave a Petterson line to run amok against lesser matchups?

And call me a homer, but I think Baertschi will make for some awfully stiff competition with Dahlen. To play with Petterson & Boeser. Baertchi is also awfully slick, like Dahlen. But also a touch bigger and faster (I think?)! We could also then offer the wicked speed and skill game the league is, quote/unquote, gravitating towards.

Baertschi Petterson Boeser

Kane Horvat Virtanen

Dahlen Gaudette Gadjovich

Lockwood Gaunce Lind

Who am I forgetting, Granlund? 

What is it you're trying to say here again?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

What is it you're trying to say here again?

LOL, well, err, ahh, uhm...

I wan't trying to intentionally use quite so many silly references.  But there you have it. 

Its a BIG line! :towel:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Depends if said 220 lb player's signature playing style is throwing his weight around?

Or if said playing style consisted of darting in & out of traffic while dangling the puck. Evasive maneuvers, slick passes, body & puck control, clever shots. Getting out on the break? Guys of varying different weights, including Evgeny Malkin who is also 220 lbs, have exhibited such a playing style at an even greater level than Johansen has exhibited. Johansen & Malkin do use their weight from time to time. But its about playing style. Malkin is my style comparison, Johansen is Button's.

Even then, Petterson also has an enormous motor, and endurance. He'll get in on the fore-check, the back check. And disrupt plays to create turnovers and more chances. You guys will ultimately like this pick. Even if he is not 220 lbs.

Great skilled two way Swedish player who goes to the dirty areas to score... I am going to say it, Forsberg. 

Not it sure if I should be serious or not, but it's July.  

35 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Great skilled two way Swedish player who goes to the dirty areas to score... I am going to say it, Forsberg. 

Ha, I love it!

Forsberg was however, a center & even more high energy version of Corey Perry.  A bull in the china shop, who got his nose very dirty taking the puck to the net. I believe Petterson is more of a finesse player? But, Forsberg was also just as dirty on the fore-check. And hounding guys defensively. That is a component I think Petterson has, if not the power game? 

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I'm not sure of the rules. But if he comes in and just blows the camp away is he allowed to terminate his contract in the SHL? I know the chances are extremely thin. But if A guy shows he's ready and can contribute now Why wouldn't you at least have him in the AHL with Dahlen 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, bp79 said:

I'm not sure of the rules. But if he comes in and just blows the camp away is he allowed to terminate his contract in the SHL? I know the chances are extremely thin. But if A guy shows he's ready and can contribute now Why wouldn't you at least have him in the AHL with Dahlen 

I believe some of the players have out clauses. In which case it would be possible. It is also semi-common to ''loan'' players under contract back and forth. Joel Eriksson Ek had concurrent contracts last year. But I suspect the Nucks will be more than happy to have him play in Sweden. 

It also lets them sign him next year. Which gives us an extra year before we have to gravitate from an ELC to a big bucks contract.  There is, however, no park a contract in junior rule for European leagues. If he is signed, does not make the Nucks, and is loaned to Europe. It does exhaust one of his ELC years.

• Upvote 2