The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

23 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I believe some of the players have out clauses. In which case it would be possible. It is also semi-common to ''loan'' players under contract back and forth. Joel Eriksson Ek had concurrent contracts last year. But I suspect the Nucks will be more than happy to have him play in Sweden. 

It also lets them sign him next year. Which gives us an extra year before we have to gravitate from an ELC to a big bucks contract.  There is, however, no park a contract in junior rule for European leagues. If he is signed, does not make the Nucks, and is loaned to Europe. It does exhaust one of his ELC years.

so if we sign him to an elc like St Louis did to Kostin he can still play in the SHL if he doesn't seem ready for at least the AHL this year. And that wouldn't burn A year of his coElc? or do we wait on signing him until after camp and see where the best fit is? if signing him now burns A year.  I  always thought as long as he doesn't play in Na this year even if we signed him.  If he goes back to Sweden then it wouldn't count against the 3 years. But if we do sign him now then would we be loaning him to his Sweden club even tho he is under contract there? Sorry for all the questions but you seem to know how these things work. Cheers.

Just now, bp79 said:

so if we sign him to an elc like St Louis did to Kostin he can still play in the SHL if he doesn't seem ready for at least the AHL this year. And that wouldn't burn A year of his coElc? or do we wait on signing him until after camp and see where the best fit is? if signing him now burns A year.  I  always thought as long as he doesn't play in Na this year even if we signed him.  If he goes back to Sweden then it wouldn't count against the 3 years. But if we do sign him now then would we be loaning him to his Sweden club even tho he is under contract there? Sorry for all the questions but you seem to know how these things work. Cheers.

Yup, it would burn a year if Kostin played in Sweden, while being under contract with St Louis.

It does mean they can usually control whether he signs in the KHL.

As per my earlier post, best protocol (just my opinion) would be to let him play a year in Sweden. Then sign him. It is great development. The player likes it, because they get paid way better than the AHL. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

As per my earlier post, best protocol (just my opinion) would be to let him play a year in Sweden. Then sign him. It is great development. The player likes it, because they get paid way better than the AHL. 

It really does seem like a natural progression for him to step up to SHL next season. And then transition to NA hockey after he's cut his teeth against one of the highest levels European pro competition.

• Upvote 2

The Sedins were tall and slight as well. He's 6'2 and super young. He's only grown up to this point, not out...

Take it from a somebody who was been there, come about this age your body changes and then it is everything you can do to keep the weight down, especially when you are that tall. (Caveat: all bodies are different)

Besides, listen to him talk: That low baritone voice is indicative of (though not a guarantee of) a hell of a lot of natural testosterone in his system which will help him quickly bulk out once his body allows him to... I am not worried about him size-wise.

16 minutes ago, Scruffy05 said:

The Sedins were tall and slight as well. He's 6'2 and super young. He's only grown up to this point, not out...

Take it from a somebody who was been there, come about this age your body changes and then it is everything you can do to keep the weight down, especially when you are that tall. (Caveat: all bodies are different)

Besides, listen to him talk: That low baritone voice is indicative of (though not a guarantee of) a hell of a lot of natural testosterone in his system which will help him quickly bulk out once his body allows him to... I am not worried about him size-wise.

Yeah it'd be almost impossible for him not to add atleast 10 pounds once he's matured. Which would put him at 177. Around the same weight as Kane, Marner, etc, and like 20 pounds heavier than Gaudreau. I still expect him to easily make it to atleast 180/185 which is fine in the new NHL and for the type of game he plays. Look at how much Juolevi gained in one season/off season.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, bp79 said:

I'm not sure of the rules. But if he comes in and just blows the camp away is he allowed to terminate his contract in the SHL? I know the chances are extremely thin. But if A guy shows he's ready and can contribute now Why wouldn't you at least have him in the AHL with Dahlen 

Might have the skill and IQ to keep up in the NHL right now but he'll snap in half if an NHL sized defenceman decides to lay him out.

• Upvote 2

Given he was one of youngest players in the game, he made it look so easy.    He sure needs to put on some beef - in fact, i will send him some of mine to get the journey started.   Per the prospect thread, if this kid had about 15-20 lbs on him now AND played in CHL, he could have gone 1st overall.   He just seemed to play with the goaltending being used to professional level tending.   DeP is a decent enough goalie and dominating at CHL level and Elias has him still locking for his jock and left testicle.   

• Upvote 3

The sedins just never learned how to find the middle ground between playoff hockey and regular season hockey.

You have to sympathize with d sedin getting taken off the ice every time versteeg baits him in 2010 and then him getting speedbagged but its his fault for not adapting

Unfortunately, thats how it played out

This game was a little teaser of what Pettersson can do, but lets not forget there's not much physicality at this camp. That'll be the big knock on his game and something he has to improve on, but he's a big frame out there on the ice. Lets hope he and Dahlen have a good SHL year and learn a thing or two from the Sedins about staying strong on your skates along the boards. I really hope they get some time to train and practice with Henrik and Daniel because they're the perfect mentors.

Dahlen and Pettersson are going to make Canucks hockey exciting again with that level of skill.

• Upvote 4

Pettersson made it look easy in the prospects game, almost like he wasn't even working up a sweat.  Real NHL defenders in games that have meaning won't let him get away with it so easily, but if he can adapt to the more physical game, he could be the real deal.  Every time I see him play I believe a little bit more.

• Upvote 1