The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Only two players have ever won both the regular season and playoff scoring titles in the same season in SHL/Elitserien history. Pettersson is poised to become the third. And he’d be the only U20 player to ever accomplish this feat.

Defn not the shl MVP or top U20 player this year though...

Hahahah how silly!

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I agree completely, in no way do I think he'll bust, I think he's going to be a franchise player, fnally.  I just think that dominating the SHL doesn't mean instant success in the NHL and I hope that they aren't against putting him in the spot to be most successful.  BB had a great first half, but once guys figured him out, his effectiveness decreased and the grind of the season was evident.  

I can't wait until Boeser and Pettersson are on the same line so defenders can't zone in on one without leaving the other with space. Pettersson will create space for Boeser with his stick handling and skating before using his playmaking to find Boeser with enough space to snipe. And if the defenders don't help, Pettersson will score himself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This is translated from Swedish so apologize for errors:

Skellefteå AIK's psyche war against Elias Pettersson: "They must scream what they want"

Skellefteå AIK's psyche war against Elias Pettersson: "They must scream what they want"

Skellefteå AIK got streak in two straight matches of Växjö. 
To break down the resistance, Skellefteå has begun a psyche war - focused on Elias Petterson. 
"I do not care," said the superlative to Sportbladet.
Växjö managed to win another victory against Skellefteå AIK, in the SM final and now leads 2-0 in matches with a goal difference of 11-0 (!).

In his vulnerable position, Skellefteå draws another method to balance the opponents: namely a psyche war.

On the radar of the Northern Lions there is mainly the super talent Elias Pettersson.

According to information to Sportbladet Skellefteåbacken Jonathan Pudas has screamed "devil pussy" to Växjöforwarden.

The steam zone, however, shakes off the verbal attack with simplicity.

"I'm not going to stand here and say who's sh*t and what's said. But some like to talk more than others, says Pettersson to Sportbladet and continues: 

- They may scream what they want, I do not care. I try to get them out of balance by just checking them.

So-called "trashtalk" is commonly found on the ice, but sometimes it goes too far, like, for example, when Linus Söderström is the child of a Bryn player.

Sports magazine: Where do you think the limit is going?

- It's feelings. In these games I have not agreed that it is overriding. It's trashtalk and I have no problem with it. All trash talks with everyone, says Elias Pettersson.

Anna Svedberg
0660-295532anna.svedberg@mittmedia.se

Devil pussy!!!!!! Have to remember that one

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This is translated from Swedish so apologize for errors:

Skellefteå AIK got streak in two straight matches of Växjö. 
To break down the resistance, Skellefteå has begun a psyche war - focused on Elias Petterson. 
"I do not care," said the superlative to Sportbladet.
Växjö managed to win another victory against Skellefteå AIK, in the SM final and now leads 2-0 in matches with a goal difference of 11-0 (!).

In his vulnerable position, Skellefteå draws another method to balance the opponents: namely a psyche war.

On the radar of the Northern Lions there is mainly the super talent Elias Pettersson.

According to information to Sportbladet Skellefteåbacken Jonathan Pudas has screamed "devil pussy" to Växjöforwarden.

The steam zone, however, shakes off the verbal attack with simplicity.

"I'm not going to stand here and say who's sh*t and what's said. But some like to talk more than others, says Pettersson to Sportbladet and continues: 

- They may scream what they want, I do not care. I try to get them out of balance by just checking them.

So-called "trashtalk" is commonly found on the ice, but sometimes it goes too far, like, for example, when Linus Söderström is the child of a Bryn player.

Sports magazine: Where do you think the limit is going?

- It's feelings. In these games I have not agreed that it is overriding. It's trashtalk and I have no problem with it. All trash talks with everyone, says Elias Pettersson.

Anna Svedberg
0660-295532anna.svedberg@mittmedia.se

8 points in 3 games. I don't think it's working :lol:

As others have said, as awesome as it is to see EP breaking records and stepping up his game for the playoffs, we need to temper our expectations a little bit. There will for sure be an adjustment period for him in the first couple of months of his NHL career.

Once he gets comfortable and starts adjusting to his teammates and the NHL pace, then watch out. He will turn into a stud. Just not in his first NHL game. Patience is key folks.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I thought this before the season started and after the World Juniors, but considering how good he is, and the pace at which he's improving, I don't think there's anything wrong with having high expectations. The guy is breaking records in one of the best leagues in the world and just seems to be improving with every game that goes by. At this point I don't think there are any "realistic expectations" for Pettersson any more.

I don't think there's anything wrong to have high expectations either. But we also don't want to put too much pressure on a 19 year old who's going to step into the best league in the world and likely find some challenges in the beginning. But like I said, once he's adjusted to everything I wouldn't be surprised if he just takes the Nhl by storm.

28 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Another bit on EP from a non-Canuck perspective.   Was talking with an Oiler's associated scout who has been following decent development of their 2016 pick defensemen Filip Berglund of Skellefteå.   We chatted about Berglund (who he sees as a slightly more talented Holm in terms of SEL recents and who potentially projects to NHL in two more years) and, again for what it is worth, he figures EP is a lock for NHL next year, figures he could be in conversation for first overall if in the draft this year (if he was born just weeks earlier) and found it quite odd people think SEL is "soft" and that EP would find NA game tough.   He is the one who offered me up the Patrick Kane comparison last fall.   He also, for what it is worth, think people need to temper expectation on Dahlin as he figures he is great but not quite as good as Hedman was at same age in some key areas (that are key for NHL success) and it took better part of four or five seasons to become really dominant with Tampa.     

Some other thoughts from him, this time a bit mixed.  On the good, he thinks Dahlen is severely underrated and will surprise people in North America ("he is more like his Dad than many will understand - not big but what a pain in the assets to play against")  on the not so good, he is far from keen on Lind.   He spent two months in North America this past year and gave me a list of reasons like Lind will not make the NHL.   I don't fully agree at all but he points to Shinkaruk as a comparable type player.   Again, just his opinions and they are like, "assets".

Thanks for the update. I disagree about Lind as well. Just listening to Ryan Johnsons recent interview and he shed some really important light to me about Lind. Which is he is pretty shocked about the difference of hockey in the WHL compared to the AHL. Johnson goes on to state that he is happy with his progress as he is taking it all in stride and is taking the humble approach and watching and learning. Some prospects aren't ready right away. Some need to see what it's like to be a Pro every day all day on ice or off it, so to me it's still a win that he is taking this information and not getting cocky about it, and not taking this opportunity for granted whether he plays or not. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Fair enough but there's a big difference in the journeyman 25 year old NHLer who dominates the SHL and tries to make a comeback, and someone in their D+1. It's unheard of. 

He may need time in the AHL but he showed this entire year he learns faster than he has any right to. I don't think 65-70 games with the Canucks is unrealistic

Would anyone be surprised if he got 60 points next year?.