The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Another bit on EP from a non-Canuck perspective.   Was talking with an Oiler's associated scout who has been following decent development of their 2016 pick defensemen Filip Berglund of Skellefteå.   We chatted about Berglund (who he sees as a slightly more talented Holm in terms of SEL recents and who potentially projects to NHL in two more years) and, again for what it is worth, he figures EP is a lock for NHL next year, figures he could be in conversation for first overall if in the draft this year (if he was born just weeks earlier) and found it quite odd people think SEL is "soft" and that EP would find NA game tough.   He is the one who offered me up the Patrick Kane comparison last fall.   He also, for what it is worth, think people need to temper expectation on Dahlin as he figures he is great but not quite as good as Hedman was at same age in some key areas (that are key for NHL success) and it took better part of four or five seasons to become really dominant with Tampa.     

Some other thoughts from him, this time a bit mixed.  On the good, he thinks Dahlen is severely underrated and will surprise people in North America ("he is more like his Dad than many will understand - not big but what a pain in the assets to play against")  on the not so good, he is far from keen on Lind.   He spent two months in North America this past year and gave me a list of reasons like Lind will not make the NHL.   I don't fully agree at all but he points to Shinkaruk as a comparable type player.   Again, just his opinions and they are like, "assets".

EP and Patrick Kane comparison is pretty interesting. Kane has really quick feet but it does seem like EP and Kane has quite a bit of overlap.

And I agree with Dahlen. I think this kid is going to make the team next season. At least, I won't be surprised if he makes it.

I'm surprised about Dahlin comparison to Hedman though. Hedman was drafted a while ago but I vaguely remember not being that impressed with him. My roommate was a Swede and he also wasn't too impressed with Hedman. It was based only on few games but Hedman didn't give me the same impression that I get from Dahlin. Yes, Hedman turned out great but then, I think Dahlin might even be better than Hedman.

Not sure about Lind comment. I think Shinkaruk's skillset clearly wasn't enough for top 6 role. He was not able to adjust into becoming a middle 6 players. I think Lind is in the same boat in this regard. I guess we will have better options than Lind in our top 6 so Lind will have to adjust his game. I think he will be able to do it though. 

Nation network radio was just talking how it could be realistic Elias Pettersson could come to Utica in the short term. Not sure if they'd want him here for that short of a span though before going to the world championships.

If Utica beats the Marlies and he stayed in Utica instead of the world championships. Utica could challenge for the Calder cup.

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Nation network radio was just talking how it could be realistic Elias Pettersson could come to Utica in the short term. Not sure if they'd want him here for that short of a span though before going to the world championships.

If Utica beats the Marlies and he stayed in Utica instead of the world championships. Utica could challenge for the Calder cup.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Sweden doesn't pick him at all and he ends up in Utica throughout the playoff run. Gronborg has been such a disaster for Swedish hockey.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Isam said:

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Sweden doesn't pick him at all and he ends up in Utica throughout the playoff run. Gronborg has been such a disaster for Swedish hockey.

What is the deal with all the team Sweden snubs eh?? They sniffing glue? Are they that stubbord!? However, I hope they do snub him and he comes to Utica for the playoffs. But that is me being selfish...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

has this been posted omg

I have never seen anyone pull a move like that before.

46 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

He was 2 strides behind the d-man on the breakout and beat him to the puck by a stride. Wow! 

What I love is the score and his drive to burry the goal still. This guy sure makes the loss of the Sedins a little easier. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, ThaManbeast said:

I can't wait until Boeser and Pettersson are on the same line so defenders can't zone in on one without leaving the other with space. Pettersson will create space for Boeser with his stick handling and skating before using his playmaking to find Boeser with enough space to snipe. And if the defenders don't help, Pettersson will score himself.

It is a fun thought, isn't it?

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This is translated from Swedish so apologize for errors:

Skellefteå AIK's psyche war against Elias Pettersson: "They must scream what they want"

Skellefteå AIK's psyche war against Elias Pettersson: "They must scream what they want"

Skellefteå AIK got streak in two straight matches of Växjö. 
To break down the resistance, Skellefteå has begun a psyche war - focused on Elias Petterson. 
"I do not care," said the superlative to Sportbladet.
Växjö managed to win another victory against Skellefteå AIK, in the SM final and now leads 2-0 in matches with a goal difference of 11-0 (!).

In his vulnerable position, Skellefteå draws another method to balance the opponents: namely a psyche war.

On the radar of the Northern Lions there is mainly the super talent Elias Pettersson.

According to information to Sportbladet Skellefteåbacken Jonathan Pudas has screamed "devil pussy" to Växjöforwarden.

The steam zone, however, shakes off the verbal attack with simplicity.

"I'm not going to stand here and say who's sh*t and what's said. But some like to talk more than others, says Pettersson to Sportbladet and continues: 

- They may scream what they want, I do not care. I try to get them out of balance by just checking them.

So-called "trashtalk" is commonly found on the ice, but sometimes it goes too far, like, for example, when Linus Söderström is the child of a Bryn player.

Sports magazine: Where do you think the limit is going?

- It's feelings. In these games I have not agreed that it is overriding. It's trashtalk and I have no problem with it. All trash talks with everyone, says Elias Pettersson.

Anna Svedberg
0660-295532anna.svedberg@mittmedia.se

Haha! Anyone else with all this discussion about ''Devils Pussy!''

The articles writer left a name, e-mail & phone number?  

Or that the dude hollering has the name PUDAS

45 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Has Elias been picked for the Swedish WHC team?

They snubbed him for the Olympics.

Edited by Canuck Surfer

52 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

What is the deal with all the team Sweden snubs eh?? They sniffing glue? Are they that stubbord!? However, I hope they do snub him and he comes to Utica for the playoffs. But that is me being selfish...

Gronborg is the Swedish version of Willie d. He just likes grinders alot. 

13 minutes ago, Old school nuck said:

Anyone know where EP stands in SHL playoff scoring race and have you got a list.

First. I believe its a new record for an U-20 player in the SHL as well...

http://www.eliteprospects.com/postseason.php?leagueid=SHL&postseasonid=Playoffs&season=2017

My bad. He's one point behind Axel Holmstrom for the record...

Edited by JamesBlondage
Correction

3 hours ago, cory40 said:

Would anyone be surprised if he got 60 points next year?.

I would not be at all. Based on his NHL projections I actually expect him to have 65 points MINIMUM. I know this is having totally unrealistic expectations but if the stats are correct that is what I am hoping for. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Another bit on EP from a non-Canuck perspective.   Was talking with an Oiler's associated scout who has been following decent development of their 2016 pick defensemen Filip Berglund of Skellefteå.   We chatted about Berglund (who he sees as a slightly more talented Holm in terms of SEL recents and who potentially projects to NHL in two more years) and, again for what it is worth, he figures EP is a lock for NHL next year, figures he could be in conversation for first overall if in the draft this year (if he was born just weeks earlier) and found it quite odd people think SEL is "soft" and that EP would find NA game tough.   He is the one who offered me up the Patrick Kane comparison last fall.   He also, for what it is worth, think people need to temper expectation on Dahlin as he figures he is great but not quite as good as Hedman was at same age in some key areas (that are key for NHL success) and it took better part of four or five seasons to become really dominant with Tampa.     

Some other thoughts from him, this time a bit mixed.  On the good, he thinks Dahlen is severely underrated and will surprise people in North America ("he is more like his Dad than many will understand - not big but what a pain in the assets to play against")  on the not so good, he is far from keen on Lind.   He spent two months in North America this past year and gave me a list of reasons like Lind will not make the NHL.   I don't fully agree at all but he points to Shinkaruk as a comparable type player.   Again, just his opinions and they are like, "assets".

Thanks for the update Rob. However I wouldn't put too much emphasis on what an oilers scout says since they haven't exactly been the model of drafting success the last ten years lol jk. 

• Haha 1