The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, stawns said:

you're kind of being a douche about that kind of thing lately.  I get it's the off season, but you're a better poster than that, imo.  There's nothing wrong with a little more cautious approach

Nah it's the "He needs more time in Utica" that's played out and annoying.  People sketching that if a prospect makes the jump he'll flame out or get injured.  It happened this year with Boeser were it was obvious he was ready, then with Demko were people thought his career would be over if got lit up in one start and it'll happen with EP as well.  If they're ready then let them play.  Not every skater needs to be a 22yo+ 225lbs Selke candidate to succeed in todays game. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't think there are any serious hockey fans, who understand the game, that believe Pettersson will come in, break a bunch of NHL records his first year and bring us a Cup within 2 years. That's not realistic. BUT, he is an elite prospect that has broken Swedish records (as a kid), and seems to excel whether it's a regular season SHL game or playoffs. The guy is a winner. He will help make the Canucks a much better team in the future. We can get excited about that.

Using an old dynasty team, as a for fun comparison with our own

Gretzky - Pettersson

Messier - Horvat

Kurri - Boeser

Anderson - Dahlen

Tikkanen - Lind

MacTavish - Virtanen

Coffey - Dahlin? Boqvist? (we need help here)

Fuhr - Demko

lind is gonna have to develop a rough and ready style, with some good physical agitation

and also step it up with his mouth as well

cuz tikanen was a piece of work.. butchered english

created a new lingo .  tikanese

what's lind gonna do to match that ? develop some lindenese talk ?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

lind is gonna have to develop a rough and ready style, with some good physical agitation

and also step it up with his mouth as well

cuz tikanen was a piece of work.. butchered english

created a new lingo .  tikanese

what's lind gonna do to match that ? develop some lindenese talk ?

Haha. My son's name is Linden and when he was around one year old he only had a handful of words he could say but just blabbered on endlessly in what we called Lindenese. 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Nah it's the "He needs more time in Utica" that's played out and annoying.  People sketching that if a prospect makes the jump he'll flame out or get injured.  It happened this year with Boeser were it was obvious he was ready, then with Demko were people thought his career would be over if got lit up in one start and it'll happen with EP as well.  If they're ready then let them play.  Not every skater needs to be a 22yo+ 225lbs Selke candidate to succeed in todays game. 

The issue is with the whole inferiority complex that continually surrounds this team.  It's hardly "fanboyish" or having unreasonable expectations to recognize players like Boeser and Pettersson are high-end prospects that are NHL-ready.  Likewise Gaudette was probably NHL-ready last year.  Elias is rated the best drafted prospect in the world outside of the NHL, and to suggest that he's not ready to make a bottom-6 team's roster next year is simply nonsensical.  Sure anything can happen, but he's probably the most-skilled player we have in the entire organization, and has shown for 2 years now he can compete against grown men in not just the league but playoffs and in physical play.

As you've said, if they're ready they're on the team.  There's a balance to be had between the play-all-the-kids and the develop-them-all-in-Utica stances, and this team in particular is in the midst of a rebuild and not only should but needs to bring in its players when they're ready or close.  Pettersson could (should) easily be top-3 in scoring on the team as a rookie, same as Boeser.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Caknuckle Puck said:

image.png.f21792cb73ffe64c0458650a3064bfa5.pngimage.png.5e312869a87b43c734c505cb896144fe.pngimage.png.c9425f97c1ca7fe4e618c78b1d858d37.pngimage.png.c45133fa83b640b9a6bc663c5f12eb5f.png

image.png

image.pngRemind me again What Nylander is doing this post season? Virtanen > Nylander in 2 years time, quote me back, see u in 2020

First, picking on NO ONE in particular as everyone who makes posts will have some that can be dredged up in a "see how stupid you were" mode but will say, just as a general thing, that if I were starting a hockey team at NHL level I would take Pettersson/Virtanen duo over Nylander/Glass 10 times out of 10.   I think if they played two on two, Nylander would be frozen into inaction worrying about Jake and Petterrson would spin round Glass and score at will.    

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

I've got an idea...how about all you guys that can't see what these kids are.....you guys go ahead a temper your expectations...

The rest of us who have been around enough to know what we are looking at.....we will carry on calling a Star a Star...

There are very few people who would turn on EP if he doesn't come out of the gates  flying so no worries there ....even if we can see his wings...were some apparently can't...

Skinny goals count the same as Big Buff goals...!

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't think there are any serious hockey fans, who understand the game, that believe Pettersson will come in, break a bunch of NHL records his first year and bring us a Cup within 2 years. That's not realistic. BUT, he is an elite prospect that has broken Swedish records (as a kid), and seems to excel whether it's a regular season SHL game or playoffs. The guy is a winner. He will help make the Canucks a much better team in the future. We can get excited about that.

Using an old dynasty team, as a for fun comparison with our own

Gretzky - Pettersson

Messier - Horvat

Kurri - Boeser

Anderson - Dahlen

Tikkanen - Lind

MacTavish - Virtanen

Coffey - Dahlin? Boqvist? (we need help here)

Fuhr - Demko

Craig Button thinks of us as the next oiler team of the 80s. They're are apparently some very skilled smaller pmd offensive d men in the first 40 picks. Good chance one of them slides to us in the second round. One was formerly a forwards just adjusting to the d game in jr.  Heard on 650 from one of the main NHL draft writers. Constantino I believe?

26 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Meddling ownership.    

Francesco looked giddish on the stage when we drafted him. More so then our other top prospects. He probably knew our Scout's had him like #1 or #2 on our teams ranking list.

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

When I asked my buddy from Sweden who he plays like he said that he plays like both Sedins but faster

I can confirm that, speed as both sedins together, henriks passes daniels shot + better wrister and a go for the net attitude that cant be taught

EDIT: BUT PLEASE KEEP DOWN YOUR EXPECTATIONS! KEEP CALM AND SWEDEN POWER!

Edited by ForzaTikare
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ForzaTikare said:

I can confirm that, speed as both sedins together, henriks passes daniels shot + better wrister and a go for the net attitude that cant be taught

Too late, I already have him penciled in as GOAT :goat:

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

Yeah I am not expecting him to be a top player right away. 

Gonna take a bit for him to grow into the NHL and for us to develop and acquire a solid supporting cast.

Dahlin would definitely help in that regard. 

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

there's absolutely nothing wrong with people having different opinions.  I still say Boeser would have benefitted from some time in Utica, as the season ground on him pretty hard and by February, you could see that he wasn't as effective as he was from Oct-Dec.  Your opinion is no more valid than mine or anyone else's and it would be great if we didn't shout people down or ridicule........form any side of an argument. 

That's what Americans do, we're better than that

52 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I've got an idea...how about all you guys that can't see what these kids are.....you guys go ahead a temper your expectations...

The rest of us who have been around enough to know what we are looking at.....we will carry on calling a Star a Star...

There are very few people who would turn on EP if he doesn't come out of the gates  flying so no worries there ....even if we can see his wings...were some apparently can't...

Skinny goals count the same as Big Buff goals...!

so a different opinion on EP is wrong, or somehow people taking a cautious, wait and see approach are somehow not as hyped on EP?

22 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah I am not expecting him to be a top player right away. 

Gonna take a bit for him to grow into the NHL and for us to develop and acquire a solid supporting cast.

Dahlin would definitely help in that regard. 

Top 5 forward on the team next season would be a remarkable achievement.  Doesn't even have to be point based just overall really good play.