The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Young stars will most likely serve to show he's either not ready or he deserves some extra looks in thr preseason. 

I wouldnt be suprised to see him play 9 games in the NHL or AHL and then go back to Sweden either. Similar to what Joel Eriksson EK did with the Wild this year

On 7/11/2017 at 0:57 PM, 73 Percent said:

I was always a fan of euro players coming over as soon as possible. Playing over there certainly didn't help Jensen any.

To be honest, Jensen was always "meh" for me in terms of whether or not he'd be able to play well over here to begin with. He just didn't really have anything special going for him and he didn't really use his big body either. Who knows though.

I felt it was more of a reaction on Gillis' part to the SCF and not having the size Boston had on our team.

Don't think this has been posted yet.

https://www.nhl.com/news/elias-pettersson-joins-friend-from-home-on-canucks/c-290293948

Pettersson joins 'best friend from home' on Canucks

Center, selected No. 5 in 2017 Draft, excited to be in organization with fellow Swede Jonathan Dahlen

by Kevin Woodley / NHL.com Correspondent
 July 18th, 2017
cut.jpg

VANCOUVER -- Things turned out pretty well the last time the Vancouver Canucks used a high draft pick on a Swedish center who had chemistry with a linemate already in the organization.

Not that anyone is comparing Elias Pettersson to Henrik Sedin, who won an Art Ross Trophy and Hart Trophy and became the leading scorer in Canucks history since being selected No. 3 in the 1999 NHL Draft, one spot behind twin brother Daniel Sedin.

But having Swedish linemate Jonathan Dahlen in the Vancouver organization figures to make life a lot easier for Pettersson, who was the No. 5 pick at the 2017 NHL Draft.

"He's my best friend from home," Pettersson said of Dahlen, who was acquired in a trade with the Ottawa Senators for forward Alexandre Burrows on Feb. 27, "and to be on the same team in Sweden and get drafted by Vancouver and be in the same NHL organization is very cool."

Playing with Dahlen for Timra IK in Allsvenskan, the second-highest level of professional hockey in Sweden, Pettersson had 41 points (19 goals, 22 assists) in 43 games, and Dahlen, who was picked in the second round (No. 42) by the Senators in the 2016 NHL Draft, had 44 points (25 goals, 19 assists) in 45 games, mostly finishing plays Pettersson started.

"I am more of a passer, he is more of a goal-scorer," Pettersson, 18, said. "First time we played together was when he moved from HV71 to Timra three years ago and we started to play together directly and we found the chemistry directly and since that [time] the chemistry has become better and better. We think the same on the ice, we know where the other player is."

cut.jpeg

Canucks draft F Pettersson No. 5

• 01:56 • June 23rd, 2017

Vancouver president of hockey operations Trevor Linden downplayed the role Dahlen had in drafting Pettersson, but it didn't take long to see the chemistry when they combined for the first goal at development camp.

"We really look at them as separate players," Linden said. "The fact they did play together is nice. Will they be linemates in a couple years? Who knows, maybe. They certainly would complement one another. Elias has great vision and can distribute the puck. Jonathan is a guy who likes to get to the hard areas, so there's a potential that could be a fit in the future."

Pettersson's immediate future includes playing for Vaxjo in the Swedish Hockey League (SHL) this season and adding muscle, even though his size (6-foot-2, 161 pounds) was not a problem playing against men last season, Dahlen said.

"I remember the first game he played when he came up to the U-20s from the U-18s, there were already concerns he was too small," Dahlen said. "But he's just taken every step easily even though he was smaller than everyone else."

Pettersson said being smaller made him better by forcing him to learn how to use his body to protect the puck. Whether he gets to take his next step with Dahlen remains to be seen. Dahlen turns 20 on Dec. 20, making him old enough to play in the American Hockey League this season, but he has a contract option to play in the SHL if he doesn't make the Canucks. Either way, Pettersson and Dahlen have talked about eventually playing together in Vancouver.

"Not like serious talk about the future, but little fun talk to imagine how it could be," Pettersson said. "We were both very excited we could be in the same organization in the NHL."

Edited by Tomato Pajamas
  • Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yeah, like most people, I wasn't thrilled with the pick when it happened, but as time has gone on, and you can call this after-the-fact bias if you want, it really does seem like this was the correct fit. The kid might be the most skilled player in this draft, and the most skilled prospect we've had since drafting the twins. There would have been nothing wrong with picking a more "meat-and-potatoes" type player like Glass or Vilardi, but considering that we already have Horvat to fill that role, it might have been a tad redundant to go for the same type of player. Having Pettersson in the fold gives us a different type of center, make for a more dynamic and all around more balanced team going forward.

The good thing is that Pettersson also plays a gritty, puck hound game.  Weight is going to be the determining factor in whether that part of his game Will translate to the NHL

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Petterson as the potential to be the best player from this draft. He's not far behind Nico & Nolan & may well be the most skilled out of them all.

Reminds me of a Pavel Datsyuk type player. Not the thickest but the slickest moves with a sick set of mitts, high hockey IQ, great skating & plays defensive first type player.

I'm liking this pick a lot.

Could have used your positivity around here on draft day.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Could have used your positivity around here on draft day.

I feel like I'm not the typical drama queen type...but I was all pissy and ready to see Benning lynched. 

I've had some time to let my research catch up with my emotion. I wish I'd done that research prior to draft day myself.

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Definitely SHL

I can already see all the trolls posting how much of a bust he is if he doesnt score PPG,which would completely be normal since the SHL is a hell of a league. Should be very good for his development, hope he takes the Juolevi workout program.

15 hours ago, BrownSuperman said:

He has some childish tendencies I see. with age he will mature. What I really like is that his older brother told him to knock off the "dab" celebrations . Shows he has a good mentor in his older brother, and he wants him to be a mature player. 

Why? Hockey players are robots enough as is.

3 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I can already see all the trolls posting how much of a bust he is if he doesnt score PPG,which would completely be normal since the SHL is a hell of a league. Should be very good for his development, hope he takes the Juolevi workout program.

He's gonna have a great opportunity. He has the skills to jump in quickly and produce. I just hope he can play a bit more reserved until his size catches up a little, he can be tenacious but it's scary when your that small lol. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, cyoung said:

He's gonna have a great opportunity. He has the skills to jump in quickly and produce. I just hope he can play a bit more reserved until his size catches up a little, he can be tenacious but it's scary when your that small lol. 

How long did it take the Twins to get (actually) strong enough to not get too easily knocked off the puck?  I remember their early years here, and (although they showed greatness at times) they were pretty weak.  I think Pettersson looks amazing!  In two or three years he will likely fill out his 6'2" frame, and push 190lbs.  I think JB landed a special player in Pettersson, but - much like the Twins - it will take a few years before he's strong enough to consistently put up big numbers.  I'd rather wait for a potential 100 point guy to develop, than get a 50 point guy right away - but that guy doesn't get much better. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Alflives said:

How long did it take the Twins to get (actually) strong enough to not get too easily knocked off the puck?  I remember their early years here, and (although they showed greatness at times) they were pretty weak.  I think Pettersson looks amazing!  In two or three years he will likely fill out his 6'2" frame, and push 190lbs.  I think JB landed a special player in Pettersson.  

Ya we definitely have to be patient for this one. He will turn alot of heads for sure. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Ya we definitely have to be patient for this one. He will turn alot of heads for sure. 

Agreed.  I don't think I've been this high on a JB pick.  I really think he's a first line scoring centre of our future.