The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

22 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You ever see a young horse or deer when it is first born.   Give the kid a chance to at least reach puberty before expecting an adult.   :lol:

had the same thought, looking a bit bambi out there. A really skilled bambi. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow, he looks so physically intimidated and unable to pull off slick moves out there - NOT.   Nice first period for him, looks like he fits in just fine and is clearly one of the more offensively creative players in the game.   

Also nice to see Lias get a goal too.   The young Swedes are showing the world they are on their way!

I'm surprised they didn't enforce the suspension in this tourney

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Lateralus91 said:

5:03 in the first, 2:47 in the second according to the IIHF page.

Saving him for the next game?  That's pretty sad to be honest. Sheltering him some I guess. It sounds like he is doing pretty good.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Saving him for the next game?  That's pretty sad to be honest. Sheltering him some I guess. It sounds like he is doing pretty good.

There was one play in the first where Sweden was on the PP and EP made a bit of a risk move in his own zone when he was last man back. That could have got him in a bit of trouble with a coach that isn't in love with him as much as EP's Vaxjo coach. 

You can tell he has all the skill one could ask for, but he doesn't look physically ready. Far to easy to push off the puck and looks like he may of just gotten hurt because of it.(2min into third)

I think we may need to lower our expectations of him next year. Might not hurt for him to start in Utica, play centre and get stronger.

47 minutes ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

Sweden's starting to take over the game. Looking like they're on the PP at 5 on 5 sometimes here in the second.

You can tell Elias is hungry to create something everytime he has the puck on his stick. Once his teammates gel with him a little I think we'll see him start scoring in bunches.

Yea agree his chemistry with klingberg there seemed off last couple shifts 

Backlund is his center....Backlund was PK'ing a lot in the second...by the time the penalty is over and Backlund is rested little time was left for EP in the second.

Also, agree with some of the other posters here.  Kid needs to get stronger.  If its a puck battle on the board he gets bumped around easily.  

3 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

You can tell he has all the skill one could ask for, but he doesn't look physically ready. Far to easy to push off the puck and looks like he may of just gotten hurt because of it.(2min into third)

I think we may need to lower our expectations of him next year. Might not hurt for him to start in Utica, play centre and get stronger.

The only problem is our team is bad and we now have roster spots up for grabs. It’s hard for me to see a scenario where Elias isn’t one of the best players in training camp. How do you tell the kid that’s worked his whole life to get to this point and he’s visibly better than the majority of the guys you’re keeping ahead of him and send him down. Feel like it’s a bad message to him and fans.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

There was one play in the first where Sweden was on the PP and EP made a bit of a risk move in his own zone when he was last man back. That could have got him in a bit of trouble with a coach that isn't in love with him as much as EP's Vaxjo coach. 

3 PKs in the 2nd will have played a role as well

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

The only problem is our team is bad and we now have roster spots up for grabs. It’s hard for me to see a scenario where Elias isn’t one of the best players in training camp. How do you tell the kid that’s worked his whole life to get to this point and he’s visibly better than the majority of the guys you’re keeping ahead of him and send him down. Feel like it’s a bad message to him and fans.

If its better for his development to dominate and gain strength in the AHL then thats what matters. He has a pace on the team when he's ready, no doubt about that. As it is there are other rookies that may make the jump and UFAs/free agents that can be signed as stopgaps/trade pieces for a year. Gaudette for one will be able to take a centre spot and then you have guys like MacEwen, Dahlen an Goldobin fighting for spots.

Baer-Bo-Boeser

Eriksson-Gaudette-Virtanen

Goldy-Sutter-Granlund

Leipsic-Gaunce-UFA/rookie

Trade and incorporate NHL ready rookies as the season goes on.

Utica

Dahlen-Pettersson-Lind

Motte-MacEwen-Jasek

gadj-Chaput-Palmu

Edited by RetroCanuck