Let me guess, EP:

45min TOI

4g

6a

Already given tournament best forward, tournament all-star, and scoring lead::D

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, bp79 said:

My point was after the SHL playoffs he more than proved how he can handle what was a very dirty and physical series. Now after 2 periods and 6 mins of ice time all of a sudden he"s back to not being ready? yet the same people 2 weeks ago were singing his praises. that was my point.

no doubt bp, the kid is resilient...aside from Bure, prob the most gifted prospect this org has ever had.  A guy like Ehlers is listed in the mid 170s and he looks great out there.  I have no doubt EP will adjust to the smaller ice.  Lighter guys can really excel with these no clutch and grab, hooking, no slashing at the hands rules...

39 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Right under your nose if you bother to look. All Im preaching is patience just like the professional coaches and scouts are. Watch his shift highlights after this game and count how many times he ended up on the ice(on his butt).

Hes a great player and will be a top line player for us, but that doesn't have to be next year like everyone seems to expect around here right now.

don't you know you're not allowed to say that?  Not without attempted ridicule anyway

• Upvote 1

Was a good game for his first time at the Worlds. Created some chances with good passes, and displayed his slick hands and creativity. Got knocked around a bit, but that's fine as he battled hard and was clearly one of the more skilled players on the ice. Expect him to get better as the tournament progresses.

He'll play in the NHL next year and excel IMO.

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

You can tell he has all the skill one could ask for, but he doesn't look physically ready. Far to easy to push off the puck and looks like he may of just gotten hurt because of it.(2min into third)

I think we may need to lower our expectations of him next year. Might not hurt for him to start in Utica, play centre and get stronger.

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

If its better for his development to dominate and gain strength in the AHL then thats what matters. He has a pace on the team when he's ready, no doubt about that. As it is there are other rookies that may make the jump and UFAs/free agents that can be signed as stopgaps/trade pieces for a year. Gaudette for one will be able to take a centre spot and then you have guys like MacEwen, Dahlen an Goldobin fighting for spots.

Baer-Bo-Boeser

Eriksson-Gaudette-Virtanen

Goldy-Sutter-Granlund

Leipsic-Gaunce-UFA/rookie

Trade and incorporate NHL ready rookies as the season goes on.

Utica

Dahlen-Pettersson-Lind

Motte-MacEwen-Jasek

gadj-Chaput-Palmu

Its one game! One game and you get all that? Give him time. He will rock in the NHL and we need to keep our expectations high. He started the SHL slow. He started the play-offs slow. He will find his way. He is learning every shift.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bp79 said:

Didn't realize Hallam was the end all of evaluating Swedish talent. Personally, I don't care if he falls on his but. As long as he keeps breaking every record put in front of him. As for strength in the NHL? sure it will be tougher for him. My point is elite players do not start in Utica. He has already proved he can handle the physical side of hockey. Not sure if you watched the playoffs? but he was engaged in every scrum it seemed and loved it.

Why not?   A lot of elite players have started in minor leagues.   Happens all the time.   I doubt he will but so what if he does?       

A lot of NHL stars started their careers with time in the American Hockey League including Norris Trophy winner Brent Burns, Patrice Bergeron, NHL playoff scoring leader Jake Guentzel and a myriad of key players leading their teams in the playoffs like Matt Murray, P.K. Subban, Braden Holtby, MA Fleury, Tyler Johnson, David Pastrnak ......list goes on and on.

Last season, 867 AHL alumni played in the National Hockey League – 88.0 percent of all NHL players.    

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why not?   A lot of elite players have started in minor leagues.   Happens all the time.   I doubt he will but so what if he does?       

A lot of NHL stars started their careers with time in the American Hockey League including Norris Trophy winner Brent Burns, Patrice Bergeron, NHL playoff scoring leader Jake Guentzel and a myriad of key players leading their teams in the playoffs like Matt Murray, P.K. Subban, Braden Holtby, MA Fleury, Tyler Johnson, David Pastrnak ......list goes on and on.

Last season, 867 AHL alumni played in the National Hockey League – 88.0 percent of all NHL players.    

Not to bicker. But you said last2 weeks ago EP40 should be in the NHK\L just like people said Brock should. My point was I put Ep in the  same class as those few besides D who are 2 good for the AHL JU\\just like Brock last year

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So I'm having trouble finding any stats on the game. I take it Pettersson didn't get any points?

No but he was a +1

My 2 cents.  He is taking another step playing for his country in a major tournament featuring pro talent. Thought he looked good. A bit shy of contact and slight in size. He will improve as the tourney continues.

Can he play in the NHL next year? 

Sure. Should he? Will depend on his summer and how he looks in preseason.  

He will likely start and  play a month or so in Vancouver.  If it goes well he will continue and if not he may either go back to Sweden or the AHL. 

Long term he will be a big piece of the Canucks rebuild. But he needs a strong supporting cast. He will not deliver the Canucks a cup on his own regardless how old or ready he is.

When the team is ready I have no doubt he will be too.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Its one game! One game and you get all that? Give him time. He will rock in the NHL and we need to keep our expectations high. He started the SHL slow. He started the play-offs slow. He will find his way. He is learning every shift.

Im basing this off the times I also watched him in the SHL as well. Keep in mind that the game we just watched was played by two teams that are historically not rough and it definitely wasn't all NHL skill, size and physicality. Yet Pettersson was still knocked around quite a bit. 

He is going to get better with each passing game, but he needs time to build strength in the gym and practice his centre position. That most likely means some seasoning in Utica.

I still like the Nylander development path. I think Toronto has handled him well so far.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

Chill out.........he's just saying it's possible that he might need some seasoning, not that he absolutely needs to start in Utica.  People can have different opinions

1 hour ago, bp79 said:

Not to bicker. But you said last2 weeks ago EP40 should be in the NHK\L just like people said Brock should. My point was I put Ep in the  same class as those few besides D who are 2 good for the AHL JU\\just like Brock last year

Yes, I still say he should be in the NHL.   If you read my post above instead of jumping to a conclusion, I said "I doubt he will" in terms of him starting in Utica.   My point was, and remains, so what?   Many of the NHL's all-time and current greats spent time in the AHL.   If he was to spend 2 games, 10 games or even 1/2 a season in the AHL, he likely has a 15 plus year career ..... so again, so what?   

Do I think he should start in NHL next year?   Absolutely.   He has shown even again today with messed up ice time due to all the penalty killing time that he can be one of the most creative offensive talents among numerous veteran NHL players.   He has work to do, like all young players, but if it were my decision he would be in NHL next year without a shred of a question.   My point, again, is if he isn't that isn't anything to fret about as so many before him that have gone onto HOF careers, multiple awards etc. etc. all spent time in the AHL and clearly it didn't harm them at all.

PS - I think it would spice up CDC as well.   Need something controversial to get people off of trying to trade Tanev, bash Virtanen or talk about Trump.   EP to Utica could be that kind of catalyst to something new to talk about.   :lol: