The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I honestly think Pettersson will be ae to our dangle players easier on the smaller ice surface.  I feel the extra space helps close in on him at this level. Less time and space I think his dekes will work better.

Just my opinion though

• Upvote 1

We saw some of his great offensive instincts in the first.  You can tell he is still light on the puck.  He may need sometime to adjust to the changes at this level still. The two big things I noticed. 

He is clearly one of the most gifted players on the ice. He is pulling off dekes others are not even trying lol.  It cost him defensively once doing his dangle then angling back to his own end by their Blueline. They closed the gap quick and stripped the puck off of him. 

That is something once he gets use to the speed he can adjust. Either move quicker, do a different dangle, or protect the puck along the boards.

His defensive play and positioning I would argue has been questionable at times. But again I think that's likely due to not being adjusted to the speed and possibly some nerves. You can see he isn't settled in yet but is soaking in a lot on the bench from teammates.

Adding some strength in his legs so he can be more resilient on his feet would probably help.  I would hate to see him bulk up tho because he would lose his speed. Love his play tho even if it has been dicey at times.  He hasn't had a lot of ice time. If he gets more he might settle in quicker.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Pettersson looks to be settling in a little more now. He looks more loose and looking for plays.  That's a good sign. Only had 2 or 3 shifts so far tho

Too bad that the first unit played so good in that PP. 2nd unit with Elias only got the last 20 sec or so could have been a great boost to play some PP and create chances.

3 minutes ago, viking90 said:

Too bad that the first unit played so good in that PP. 2nd unit with Elias only got the last 20 sec or so could have been a great boost to play some PP and create chances.

Yeah I agree. They never even got setup really.  Nice stick by Pettersson in that last shift. He was kinda in the middle of all the attackers then quickly swatted the puck away before they could get a shot off. That long reach helping out there.

2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Not a good PP shift from Pettersson there

Their unit wasn't that organized.  Kept trying to setup a play that wasn't there. Felt like they kept trying to open up lanes to get Pettersson his shot off.

The broken stick part was hilarious lol

3 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Not a good PP shift from Pettersson there

Pettersson and Klingberg were brutal. they were just hogging the puck and rarely saw others which resulted in partial breakaway.

Though Pettersson did well to backcheck and used his lanky legs and mid section to clear the net

8 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

Would like to see him get his feet moving and use his speed.

I'm curious if that hasn't been seen a lot because he isn't the go to guy. It seems he is a secondary carrier on that line. In Vaxjo he was one of the primary puck carriers.  

I don't know. He showed some speed and dangles in the first.