The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I think it's been said, but someone who compares to Pettersson in the NHL right now as a young player is Sebastian Aho. They both play a similar skill game, with Aho being a little more direct. Neither are real burners on the ice, but are above average in skating. Both have elite hands, and a good variety of shots in their arsenal. 

Aho had 49 points in his rookie year, after a big year in Liiga and a solid World Championship with Finland. Pettersson could follow suit.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Hank Sedin 6'2 182 at his peak.

Bure 5'10 180lbs at his peak

, tanks on their feet

Pettersson just needs to add a strong lower body core and balance, he will be fine.

His brother Emil, a Nashville prospect, was very slight when drafted, but is now up to 185 lbs...  1st year in the AHL and had some pretty good numbers at 13g and 33a, so it is safe to say Elias should hit that weight mark at some point in the near future.... they may actually make their rookie debut in the same year too

Edited by Sugar baby watermelon

So... random thought. I'v been trying to think of anyone that used the toe drag like EP does. He does it so often and so effectively, I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like it. We see it all the time from great shooters to change the angles of a shot, or on the rush with speed to beet a defender. But the way EP does it from almost a dead stop to change direction or body position is just sublime.

Edited by FlyLow_
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

So... random thought. I'v been trying to think of anyone that used the toe drag like EP does. He does it so often and so effectively, I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like it. We see it all the time from great shooters to change the angles of a shot, or on the rush with speed to beet a defender. But the way EP does it from almost a dead stop to change direction or body position is just sublime.

Literally only Datsyuk.

We got a guy who others will be compared to in the future...

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

I wonder if he will be Sutter's weight -190 lbs or Mikael Samuelsson's weight - 215 lbs, when he grows into his 6'2" body.

The hockey fans who jumped off the bandwagon are going to be surprised in a year or two.

His pictures from this year already show he’s starting to look like a man physically vs a boy. He’s lean but has a lot of muscle. Last year he was skinny. Give him another offseason and if he comes into camp 180-185 he’ll be fine to play in the nhl- then it comes down to his skill and ability to handle the grind not his weight. 

That being said, a year or two to gain man strength couldn’t hurt him in the AHL

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Someone did a redraft, many on CDC complained Hishcier still went higher than Pettersson. I agreed because of the elite game breaking speed of Hischier. Its a weapon.

But I remain in staunch disagreement on agility and speed in tight.  The guy is better in tight spaces than almost anyone I have seen. Agree to disagree. 

I would  agree and Petterson a still fast. Straight line speed is actually over rated. The game is more about stops and starts, agility in tight spaces and your first 3 steps. Our boy is elite in all those areas. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Or 6'2" Keith Tkachuk who failed a physical for apparently reporting to camp in 2005 after the lockout more than 50 lbs over his promised max 235 lbs.    That's all EP needs, a lockout and a stool with his name on it at In/Out Burgers.   

EP at 280-300 lbs would be harder to move off the puck....and probably off the bench too.

LMAO, I remember that story.  

I met you pal (I am being sarcastic) Matthew's dad early in his career.  He was indifferent, cocky, snarky. And followed through on that attitude by hanging Winnipeg out to dry. He was villain #1 on my fandom lists for many years. Probably still is? I think he won a Canada Cup & some Olympic stuff, but he never had the heart to be a deep NHL player.

I wonder how The youngest son will interview at the combines. He seems better received. Your pal has some of those bad vibes.

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I suppose. But I think he was more referring to guys who consistently check the boards and just run around not accomplishing much other than putting themselves out of position.

I'm confident Gaunce knows the value of a good hit, or a hustle play that results in a takeaway. But guys who run around, rattling glass, chasing the play, and looking busy while doing next to nothing productive can sometimes earn praise for “energy” shifts that really don’t help their teams. 

I would agree that narrowly missed checks by freight train types do get noticed. Deservedly so. And guys get their heads on swivels watching out for the next time that train comes through. This can certainly be beneficial.

But an ineffectual “finish your check” attempt where a guy just throws himself  wildly into the boards (while the target is long gone) is the definition of “wasted energy” IMO.

Rene Bourque 

5 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I've seen examples of what you're talking about and I agree. But his agility in the corners isn't at that level. That's where he gets knocked off the puck or on the ice a lot. I think he can improve a great deal in that regard. 

I think training with the Sedins would teach him a lot about how to build the right kind of strength for his frame and how to be successful along the boards. 

EP will put on some weight. But some here are thinking he can add 10-15 lbs this off season, ain't going to happen imo. He was here last summer working with the trainers, I am sure they gave him hints about meals and ways to add muscle mass. He has gained a bit of weight but not much.

Also, look at his older brother who is 24 and weighs 185. I definitely think he will add some mass but not all going to happen over 1 summer. Hopefully he can fill out to 185 in a couple years. It is going to help his game for sure, even the big strong guys get knocked off the puck! Balance, core strength and bracing for impact when taking hits are keys moving forward.

No reason why EP won't be in the NHL next year. Be foolish to let him go back to the big ice surface in the SHL, he kind of showed everyone this year his dominance, nothing left to prove going back.

• Upvote 1