The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

EP will put on some weight. But some here are thinking he can add 10-15 lbs this off season, ain't going to happen imo. He was here last summer working with the trainers, I am sure they gave him hints about meals and ways to add muscle mass. He has gained a bit of weight but not much.

Also, look at his older brother who is 24 and weighs 185. I definitely think he will add some mass but not all going to happen over 1 summer. Hopefully he can fill out to 185 in a couple years. It is going to help his game for sure, even the big strong guys get knocked off the puck! Balance, core strength and bracing for impact when taking hits are keys moving forward.

No reason why EP won't be in the NHL next year. Be foolish to let him go back to the big ice surface in the SHL, he kind of showed everyone this year his dominance, nothing left to prove going back.

+/- 175lbs this fall should be quite achievable and just fine IMO.

He can add another 10-20lbs on top of that over the next few years.

• Upvote 1

On 5/7/2018 at 11:14 AM, NUCKER67 said:

I remember when some were cautiously optimistic with Boeser, thinking he should start in Utica. Now that we know what he's capable of, there are no more concerns. I expect the same with Pettersson. He won't be tearing it up like he did in Sweden, but I think he'll do well. Playing at the Worlds is great experience, giving him a glimpse of his competition and what it takes to excel.    

I can't wait for next season to start & EP showing all the doubters that his weight will not be an issue. 

Gonna be fun going back to all the quotes of EP being too skinny, will need Utica for at least a year , his brother is still skinny, etc.

9 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

EP will put on some weight. But some here are thinking he can add 10-15 lbs this off season, ain't going to happen imo. He was here last summer working with the trainers, I am sure they gave him hints about meals and ways to add muscle mass. He has gained a bit of weight but not much.

Also, look at his older brother who is 24 and weighs 185. I definitely think he will add some mass but not all going to happen over 1 summer. Hopefully he can fill out to 185 in a couple years. It is going to help his game for sure, even the big strong guys get knocked off the puck! Balance, core strength and bracing for impact when taking hits are keys moving forward.

No reason why EP won't be in the NHL next year. Be foolish to let him go back to the big ice surface in the SHL, he kind of showed everyone this year his dominance, nothing left to prove going back.

10-15 lbs would only slow him down.  What makes him dangerous and cat like are his quickness and dexterity.  He’s acrobatic at times with his cobra like dashes towards the net in mid air.  He’d lose what makes him special if he were to gain that much weight. If he gains 5 lbs of muscle on the legs and comes in at 170-72.  That that’s just fine.  The worst thing this organization do his force his weight up like they did Virtanen.  Almost killed his career.  

Edited by Pure961089
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

EPs jersey is at about 6,2k USD with 20 min left of  the auctionScreenshot_20180508-143422.thumb.png.2aa96a90c2a69e0d9c77f188f6fb55dc.png

Love the Pic of EP.  What would have made it way over the top is if they painted him Gold again wearing his gold Helm and his gold metal around his neck, holding the SHL trophy, his Playoff MVP trophy and Forward of the year trophy along with Regular Season MVP trophy in his arms while lighting up a stogie.

Edited by Pure961089

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

10-15 lbs would only slow him down.  What makes him dangerous and cat like are his quickness and dexterity.  He’s acrobatic at times with his cobra like dashes towards the net in mid air.  He’d lose what makes him special if he were to gain that much weight. If he gains 5 lbs of muscle on the legs and comes in at 170-72.  That that’s just fine.  The worst thing this organization do his force his weight up like they did Virtanen.  Almost killed his career.  

It killed Hutton

3 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

2 hours ago, 250Integra said:

It killed Hutton

EP will not slow down at 10 to 15 lbs. Maybe 25 -35 lbs. At 19 he is only going to get faster. That's a scary thought of a faster EP coming to Vancouver in Sept. But expect it. 

I love on the 2 point highlight on you tube above. EP is a player that others are looking to get him the puck. And what impressed me the most was before his assist he toe dragged the puck around the defender, followed it by a crazy backhand pass ( a little off the mark) but that made crazy space between the defender and the player looking for his jock strap, That's elite skill that you seldom see players able to create space for other players. Then on the second power play he is on the right side. And the message looks clear, "Get EP the puck". Most forwards don't shoot hard enough to man the point! He's 19 and his shot is still in its early stage, I can't imagine teams playing hard on EP when Brock is on the other side, Or Hard on Brock when EP is on the right side. My dear CDC friends the Sedins have been replaced.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

New Video from GoCanucksGo. With a Goal and an Assist, Pettersson really showing off his toe dragging skills on the PP.  Really embarrasses the French Defender on the play leading up to his assist.   Showcasing his Datsyukian hands

If Jake can learn to do what Backlund does on his goal, yowsa

• Cheers 1

I have to admit I wanted Glass.  I wasn't upset about EP being picked, but my initial reaction was "who?" I don't follow a lot of hockey outside the Canucks and some prospects ( no time) but EP answered that question in droves.  Can't wait to see #40 in green and blue. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

EP will not slow down at 10 to 15 lbs. Maybe 25 -35 lbs. At 19 he is only going to get faster. That's a scary thought of a faster EP coming to Vancouver in Sept. But expect it. 

Sundin was 240lbs fully grown and 187lbs at the draft - 53lbs gained. EP at 53lbs gained and an inch taller would be 6'3 214lbs. That is a good size. Nicklas Backstrom gained 31 lbs after the draft. I think EP probably plays at around 195lbs when fully grown, 175lbs to start next season. 

6 hours ago, sonoman said:

I have to admit I wanted Glass.  I wasn't upset about EP being picked, but my initial reaction was "who?" I don't follow a lot of hockey outside the Canucks and some prospects ( no time) but EP answered that question in droves.  Can't wait to see #40 in green and blue. 

I was expecting to for them to pick Glass and they picked Petersson. At first glance I was a bit upset but then I realized it was a good pick. The problem the Canucks have had is that we are always trying to pick the safest guy with somewhat a high floor, never going for that home run pick, the guy that has a bit of red flags but thats got superstar potential. That what it came down and I liked the pick afterwards. We aren't just settling for a guy thats a 2nd liner and we get a pat on the back, we are getting a guy in Elias Petterson that if all goes well, could be one of the top guys in the LEAGUE let alone a 1st liner. Hopefully it does happen

• Upvote 3

Wonder what you all think about the speed of his shot?
When given time, he can absolutely snipe the puck, but will his shot be as affective in the NHL, when that slight bit of time that he holds it for can get the opposing teams defense and goalie back in the play? Even in the France game, you can see the goalie is back in position before the shot is released, fortunately Elias still snipes it, but a situation like that will go the goalie's way more often then not in the NHL. Pettersson's shot is hard and accurate, but it's anything but quick. 

Not bashing the guy, just wondering if anyone else is concerned, or if it's just me?

Edited by Top Sven Baercheese
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Wonder what you all think about the speed of his shot?
When given time, he can absolutely snipe the puck, but will his shot be as affective in the NHL, when that slight bit of time that he holds it for can get the opposing teams defense and goalie back in the play? Even in the France game, you can see the goalie is back in position before the shot is released, fortunately Elias still snipes it, but a situation like that will go the goalie's way more often then not in the NHL. Pettersson's shot is hard and accurate, but it's anything but quick. 

Not bashing the guy, just wondering if anyone else is concerned, or if it's just me?

He didnt want to shoot it quick there, if he wants to.. He does! Thats one of his tricks, waiting for the shotblocker to pass and hangs it up high, he did alot of goals this way, but he also did alot on one-timers and fast wristers.. What's most dangerous with EP is that u can expect anything.. Onetimers, wristers, opening passes, filthy toe-drags and even a smooth deke to get the rubber into the net

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1