The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

13 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

10-15 lbs would only slow him down.  What makes him dangerous and cat like are his quickness and dexterity.  He’s acrobatic at times with his cobra like dashes towards the net in mid air.  He’d lose what makes him special if he were to gain that much weight. If he gains 5 lbs of muscle on the legs and comes in at 170-72.  That that’s just fine.  The worst thing this organization do his force his weight up like they did Virtanen.  Almost killed his career.  

Unless his diets just sulks, 20 lbs of lean muscle mass wont slow down an elite athlete a stitch!  if anything, lean mass commands more use of energy, increases metabolism. Keeping the elite athlete even leaner. Diet first, rest after exertion & the right training!

Not Jakes method 2 years ago. Pounding protein shakes, jack heavy weights & thinking you have worked out? Then feeling good about your workout, drink beer, have fun?

Hockey players need to train at flat exhaustion level intervals. For 35, 40, 45 seconds> If you can hack it? Where you can continue longer? Not intense enough! Imitate hockey shifts, with heavy emphasis on core, full body movement, legs! Explosive energy release and muscle duress for those durations. Then repeat, perhaps with a new motion, a new muscle group, hit all muscle groups, repeat, return to the first muscle group, go again, get all muscle groups, all at go till you puke intensity. Over and over. You can never use the heaviest weight at those intensity & duration levels. The body wont take it. Nor will it unless you learn what food services that output. Muscles, upper body or otherwise, obtained training at that intensity wont slow EP down. 

In summer is when he would learn to train, diet, rest... If his muscle training, upper body in particular, mirrors energy output levels  called for in hockey? First, he will only gain good muscle! 2knd it will help his body learn how to exert & fuel those same energy levels when required in game circumstance.    

11 hours ago, 250Integra said:

It killed Hutton

Wrong weight gain.

41 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

These show more his hands then his shot. The 2nd one is more of a shot, but again, it's fairly slow. 

I'll show you what I mean:

His goal here:

It's deadly, but I feel he holds it for a second too long. 

I've seen about 95% of his games live this year. I think its mostly him just releasing it at the perfect time, he doesn’t need that extra second he just release it at that Point because its the exact moment the goalie is screened and the D gets a little bit out of position. The D dont feel sade going out on him because he Will have the chance to deliver a pass to an open teammate hence they have to try blocking it and gets beaten this way instead

• Upvote 4

Isn't that just so CDC, guy toe drags and shows patience to clear shotblock and get goalie to commit before ripping a shot over his shoulder and gets criticized for having a slow release.

You know that Gretzky he just wasn't physical enough for me and not a great skater.  I am so glad he never ended up here like he was rumored.

• Haha 3
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Wonder what you all think about the speed of his shot?
When given time, he can absolutely snipe the puck, but will his shot be as affective in the NHL, when that slight bit of time that he holds it for can get the opposing teams defense and goalie back in the play? Even in the France game, you can see the goalie is back in position before the shot is released, fortunately Elias still snipes it, but a situation like that will go the goalie's way more often then not in the NHL. Pettersson's shot is hard and accurate, but it's anything but quick. 

Not bashing the guy, just wondering if anyone else is concerned, or if it's just me?

Hey, here’s a million dollars

Can I have a million and one dollars?

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Wonder what you all think about the speed of his shot?
When given time, he can absolutely snipe the puck, but will his shot be as affective in the NHL, when that slight bit of time that he holds it for can get the opposing teams defense and goalie back in the play? Even in the France game, you can see the goalie is back in position before the shot is released, fortunately Elias still snipes it, but a situation like that will go the goalie's way more often then not in the NHL. Pettersson's shot is hard and accurate, but it's anything but quick. 

Not bashing the guy, just wondering if anyone else is concerned, or if it's just me?

Are we talking shot velocity here or the time he (deliberately) took to wait for the shot to develop?

Because as far as I can tell, his shot velocity is elite. You can see that in his highlights, the unofficial slap shot comps that have been posted recently etc. And all the more impressive given his +/-170lbs.

If you're talking about the time he took to take the shot, it's pretty obvious (yet still pretty amazing) the he was waiting for his opening while the D and goalie moved. The kid's got Neo-level ability to slow play down.

VAcOeGv.gif

• Haha 1