The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Are we talking shot velocity here or the time he (deliberately) took to wait for the shot to develop?

Because as far as I can tell, his shot velocity is elite. You can see that in his highlights, the unofficial slap shot comps that have been posted recently etc. And all the more impressive given his +/-170lbs.

If you're talking about the time he took to take the shot, it's pretty obvious (yet still pretty amazing) the he was waiting for his opening while the D and goalie moved. The kid's got Neo-level ability to slow play down.

VAcOeGv.gif

If you want to make contact, you need to be closer. You suck at punching.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

If he were just hesitating it would be different, but it's a deliberate pause, letting the defenders and goalie bite and then he drags and snaps.......he's not shotting from the same spot he pauses in.  That's a pure sniper move and it will beat any goalie, at any level

To be clear, I'm not talking about the specific concerns that were mentioned in quoted text from my post. I'm just saying that I'm never completely sold on a prospect until they prove themselves in the NHL. That's not to say that I don't think they'll succeed, just that I have trouble being certain about anything until it's proven.

I believe that Pettersson will be an excellent NHLer, but I will not say so definitively until it's proven. I think it's arrogant and irresponsible to do otherwise.

1 hour ago, Bigturk8 said:

To be clear, I'm not talking about the specific concerns that were mentioned in quoted text from my post. I'm just saying that I'm never completely sold on a prospect until they prove themselves in the NHL. That's not to say that I don't think they'll succeed, just that I have trouble being certain about anything until it's proven.

I believe that Pettersson will be an excellent NHLer, but I will not say so definitively until it's proven. I think it's arrogant and irresponsible to do otherwise.

Oh, I know and Im the same.  I was referring to the post that you quoted, about the hesitation on his shot

10 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

These show more his hands then his shot. The 2nd one is more of a shot, but again, it's fairly slow. 

I'll show you what I mean:

His goal here:

It's deadly, but I feel he holds it for a second too long. 

If he didn't hold it, he doesn't score as often. Elias is getting praise from everyone on his ability to wait until the perfect play presents itself. Maybe to prove your point you should find clips where he doesn't score or get an assist because of his patience. His coach and his team mates have said comments like " he always make the right play"

His fellow swedes are saying they are thrilled to have the chance to pay with Elias and are excited to see how good he can actually be. His coach from Vaxjo said Elias is teaching us! I still have not seen a player with as many weapons Elias has. |Shot, Speed, Passing, and hockey IQ off the charts. He will be a tough player to defend against because if you play him too close he makes the perfect pass. Your clips prove one thing he does not panick he slows the game down. And I am impressed how many times he scores or gets an assist because he passes when the goalie expects a shot and shoots when the goalie expects a pass. Oh and he is only 19! Gretzky had many flaws in his game, but getting points was not one of them. People were faster, had a better shot, could stick handle faster, but Gretzky could get points out of nothing and do it with-out exerting himself. You watch Elias Petterson will be the to 5 point producers in the NHL. And I am betting he exceeds even that. He could be the most complete player with the most dangerous hockey IQ in the NHL.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, stawns said:

If he were just hesitating it would be different, but it's a deliberate pause, letting the defenders and goalie bite and then he drags and snaps.......he's not shotting from the same spot he pauses in.  That's a pure sniper move and it will beat any goalie, at any level

Also because of his uncanny ability to pass he keeps defenders from rushing him. That won't change in the NHL. That pause allows him to pass or shoot and its seldom the wrong decision.

7 hours ago, Borvat said:

Has there been any mention of Elias' contract status recently.  Is it still possible he returns to Sweden?  

I think they were just letting him focus on his season and now the tournament. I would expect them to have him signed end of May, early June.

• Upvote 2

Jared McCann Talk

cory40 replied to avelanch's topic in Prospects / In the System

You would think the Oilers have a great team? I still don't feel they have a good enough team to even challenge for a play-off spot. Only in Edmonton would those three be their top three centers.
  • October 6, 2015
  • 3,760 replies
  •    This was my post from October . If Edmonton doesn't get some balance they will be drafting tenth again next year.This is why Canucks keep Tanev so they don't look like Edmonton and can have support for Elias, Brock,  Gaudette (Who could be the next M.Peca)
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Bigturk8 said:

I'm just saying that I'm never completely sold on a prospect until they prove themselves in the NHL. 

Uh, isn't that that every concept of the word "prospect"?    

Hard for any kid to prove themselves as and NHL talent until they are in the NHL.   If being "sold" on someone means they need to be proven before you buy, you would never buy anything....right?

The very nature of the concept of a prospect is that they are unproven so not sure what you exactly expect of these kids.   Hedging bets is fine but somehow there needs to be some form of choosing these kids and being "sold" on them enough to choose them in the first place let alone invest in their development.

• Upvote 1

More

Zibanejad on Elias Pettersson:

“He’s really talented. You see the intentions he has and what he does with the puck and without the puck. I’m super-excited to see how he’ll transform and develop throughout the tournament, but also career-wise."  #Canucks

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Someone buy this kid some hand sanitizer and and an N95 mask please.

What amazes me is the deference that we see quality established professional players like Zibanejad giving him.  It takes a special prospect to get NHL players excited to watch him.

• Upvote 3

Am i missing something here....all reports leading up to the game stated Pettersson was out because he was sick...I did not watch the game so I dont know if he actually played or not.

Why does TSN show him in the box scores in the player summary?

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/mens-worlds/game/sweden-austria-20180509/Stats

18 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/tre-kronor/dumma-fragor-far-dumma-svar/

Elias is clearly tired of answering questions about his weight. Gave an interview where he expressed frustration with people who think that he needs to gain 20 kilos to be effective in the NHL. Points out that plenty of guys manage to find NHL success at similar weights to his own. Said he’s just going to use the comments about his weight as motivation to prove people wrong. The title of the Swedish article is a direct quote from Pettersson. Translates as “stupid questions get stupid answers” and basically sums up his feelings about press’s obsession with the weight issue.

Elias has already said he’s going to work hard to build muscle and improve his strength. But it’s about getting stronger, and not just getting heavier, and clearly he’s getting sick of people telling him he’s too light for the NHL.

Also, Pettersson has been nominated for a European Hockey Award in the Young Player of the Year category:

this is perfect. block out the noise and be confident in your abilities. should help to shut up vancouver media since they won't want to be on the bad side of a player as important as pettersson will be going forward. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2