The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, Beastmode33 said:

May be a bit of spilled milk but the last 3 years I've had Nylander, Tkachuck, and Mittlestadt.  At least one of those is looking like the better choice already.  I have been pretty satisfied with his late round picks but the guy just cant pick top 10 to save his life.

We could have had the same amount of skill with mittlestadt just with a 200 lb frame instead of 167.  Go look at Elias' brothers weight, doesn't seem like it's much higher at 20 something years old.  Doesn't bode well for the youngsters chances of putting on some bulk.

But, as a die hard Canucks fan I will sit here and hope I am wrong and that he becomes that #1 C that benning and Co have promised us he is.

Sure you have

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beastmode33 said:

Its funny that you forgot everyone including canucks management says Elias needs to add bulk.  I was saying Mittlestadt already had it along with the skill.  

And why don't you look through my posts pre draft and see who I liked, wasn't just "creaming my pants" over one goal in a "teenager tourney".  And It's always nice to see your prospects do well against the best of their peers.

And if I wanted to go be a buffalo fan, or Toronto fan or Flames fan, I wouldn't care as much as I do about benning messing up our top 10 picks.  Some of you on here just don't get it, being a canucks fan doesn't mean you just have to be on board with everything management does, if you want to be like that fine, have fun.  Stop pretending I, or any others who feel like I do, care any less for wishing my team took the better player.

You can justify your argument all you want, but these guys are barely a month over their draft. How can you honestly believe that the Canucks missed out on the better player? And what if they took Middlestadt at 5, would you find a way to whine about the Canucks not taking Glass/Vilardi as well?

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Beastmode33 said:

May be a bit of spilled milk but the last 3 years I've had Nylander, Tkachuck, and Mittlestadt.  At least one of those is looking like the better choice already.  I have been pretty satisfied with his late round picks but the guy just cant pick top 10 to save his life.

We could have had the same amount of skill with mittlestadt just with a 200 lb frame instead of 167.  Go look at Elias' brothers weight, doesn't seem like it's much higher at 20 something years old.  Doesn't bode well for the youngsters chances of putting on some bulk.

But, as a die hard Canucks fan I will sit here and hope I am wrong and that he becomes that #1 C that benning and Co have promised us he is.

The thing is, there will always be players in each draft that we could have picked that will turn out better. That's how drafts tend to work and it's all based on knowledge at the time. No matter what team you cheer for and no matter what GM is running things, there will always be players each team could have picked that will be better.

The jury's still out anyway for each of those picks you've mentioned. Virtanen's only 20 in a league where teams still even have 23 and 24 year old prospects. It's certainly not over yet.

As far as Pettersson goes, genes don't necessarily mean anything. My brother and I have different frames and metabolisms. Even if Pettersson doesn't completely fill out like other players, it's pretty evident he has the skill. Some scouts have even said if he had a larger frame he could have easily been first overall and not all NHL players have 190+ pound frames.

Edited by The Lock

8 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Kid sees the ice well and clearly doesn't feel uncomfortable trying to set pace of the play and/or lead the play development.   These should be seen as positive signs.   He did look out of position as a winger.   Less positive sign.   

On 7/29/2017 at 9:10 PM, Beastmode33 said:

While Elias was busy playing wing and getting injured, my choice for 5th overall was doing this:

Did you watch his game today?   He looked slow and tentative and struggled with the puck on his stick.  Hard to evaluate these young players on a game here or there but today didn't make this guy look like a first round pick let alone even a potential NHL player.   He, like all prospects, will have days like that but today he didn't look very good at all.

On 7/30/2017 at 9:19 PM, Beastmode33 said:

Its funny that you forgot everyone including canucks management says Elias needs to add bulk.  I was saying Mittlestadt already had it along with the skill.  

And why don't you look through my posts pre draft and see who I liked, wasn't just "creaming my pants" over one goal in a "teenager tourney".  And It's always nice to see your prospects do well against the best of their peers.

And if I wanted to go be a buffalo fan, or Toronto fan or Flames fan, I wouldn't care as much as I do about benning messing up our top 10 picks.  Some of you on here just don't get it, being a canucks fan doesn't mean you just have to be on board with everything management does, if you want to be like that fine, have fun.  Stop pretending I, or any others who feel like I do, care any less for wishing my team took the better player.

You know what they are saying about Mittlestadt ? he is kinda fat and needs to trim down.  6'0 200lb is overweight for an 18 year old athlete. 

On 2017-08-01 at 10:20 AM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

You know what they are saying about Mittlestadt ? he is kinda fat and needs to trim down.  6'0 200lb is overweight for an 18 year old athlete. 

Really? Which athlete are you referring to? Johnny Hockey or Nick Ritchie?