The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

22 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Gaining weight shouldn't be his priority and I'm glad he's saying that. He should be focused on gaining strength. We've already seen Virtanen lose his endurance and Juolevi lose some quickness due to gaining weight too quickly. It should be a 3-5 year process for him to get up to 190+ pounds, which means he'll likely get pushed around for his first couple of years (like a couple of other superstars). The payoff down the line will be huge though.

Agree. Poor Olli lol. He was dynamic before the bulk up. That is what made him so robust and effective at transitioning the puck. I hope Olli sheds some weight even 5 pounds just to give him that extra juice.

15 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Is Pettersson's new thing that he's going to be sick during every tournament he plays?

Remember that this kid isn't human. He needs to travel back to his planet once in a while to recharge his batteries.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/tre-kronor/dumma-fragor-far-dumma-svar/

Elias is clearly tired of answering questions about his weight. Gave an interview where he expressed frustration with people who think that he needs to gain 20 kilos to be effective in the NHL. Points out that plenty of guys manage to find NHL success at similar weights to his own. Said he’s just going to use the comments about his weight as motivation to prove people wrong. The title of the Swedish article is a direct quote from Pettersson. Translates as “stupid questions get stupid answers” and basically sums up his feelings about press’s obsession with the weight issue.

Elias has already said he’s going to work hard to build muscle and improve his strength. But it’s about getting stronger, and not just getting heavier, and clearly he’s getting sick of people telling him he’s too light for the NHL.

Also, Pettersson has been nominated for a European Hockey Award in the Young Player of the Year category:

He broke all sorts of records, despite his apparently weight "problem." Why isn't anyone talking about that?

Edited by Qwags
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, isn't that that every concept of the word "prospect"?    

Hard for any kid to prove themselves as and NHL talent until they are in the NHL.   If being "sold" on someone means they need to be proven before you buy, you would never buy anything....right?

The very nature of the concept of a prospect is that they are unproven so not sure what you exactly expect of these kids.   Hedging bets is fine but somehow there needs to be some form of choosing these kids and being "sold" on them enough to choose them in the first place let alone invest in their development.

You're splitting hairs on terminology. I can be confident about a prospect but still accept the fact that there is a possibility of them not translating. I believe Pettersson will be great but certainly is impossible until proven.

To be certain is to have proof.

https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/tre-kronor/dumma-fragor-far-dumma-svar/

Elias is clearly tired of answering questions about his weight. Gave an interview where he expressed frustration with people who think that he needs to gain 20 kilos to be effective in the NHL. Points out that plenty of guys manage to find NHL success at similar weights to his own. Said he’s just going to use the comments about his weight as motivation to prove people wrong. The title of the Swedish article is a direct quote from Pettersson. Translates as “stupid questions get stupid answers” and basically sums up his feelings about press’s obsession with the weight issue.

Firstly, who in their right mind would think that Petterson gaining over 40 lbs. makes any kind of sense. 40 lbs! That's insane. I like that he has a strong belief in himself and isn't afraid to speak his mind.

Elias has already said he’s going to work hard to build muscle and improve his strength. But it’s about getting stronger, and not just getting heavier, and clearly he’s getting sick of people telling him he’s too light for the NHL.

Exactly. He's far above the din here and hopefully Linden or Benning can prepare him for the level of stupid he'll be running into with the Vancouver press.

Also, Pettersson has been nominated for a European Hockey Award in the Young Player of the Year category:

He's clearly too light and frail to win it.

I'd be more concerned with him flying out an open window because it's windy outside than being too light to play in the NHL.

So I need a new jersey.  Thought about a Boeser but I think I am going to go with a EP40 jersey.  Knowing my luck he'll be traded as soon as I purchase one though.  I take it they aren't making these in the Canuck store until he is signed or are they available to purchase?  And he is for sure going to wear #40?  Because he wore 41 at training camp.

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

To be fair, I think a lot of people talked about that, especially the Swedish press.

Wait until the Canucks media speaks to him. "How many records would you have broken if you were 10 pounds heavier?" :rolleyes:

• Haha 4

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well, at least it appears Pettersson caught his illness a week before the scheduled Sweden-Russia game.

Otherwise, I’d be thinking

894D6489-FAED-44E5-9C73-7373EDB3F73D.jpeg.156719146e52b12f1d7f50d2147af5ba.jpeg

Nothing like a good taste of polonium to get the blood flowing.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Do we need a big time Dman to QB our Power Play if EP 40 can do it from the half boards?

not to quarterback the powerplay, necessarily, but to present a legitimate threat from the point and to help distribute the pick, absolutely. 

15 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I'd be more concerned with him flying out an open window because it's windy outside than being too light to play in the NHL.

So I need a new jersey.  Thought about a Boeser but I think I am going to go with a EP40 jersey.  Knowing my luck he'll be traded as soon as I purchase one though.  I take it they aren't making these in the Canuck store until he is signed or are they available to purchase?  And he is for sure going to wear #40?  Because he wore 41 at training camp.

just get a pettersson team sweden or vaxjo jersey and you'll be certain its accurate. 

5 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Hi there, 

Just want to point out two things, 1st this is the CDC, so it certainly isn’t a place where there has to be ‘proof’ for someone to be certain. 

2nd, this is the prospects forum, literally the very location on this certainly uncertain site where people write about future prospects that are unproven by definition, thus are ‘prospects’ and not ‘players’.  So to talk about certainty in the forum dedicated to uncertainties is a paradox that boogles the mind. 

‘To be certain is to have proof.’ Is a philosophy that makes me think of trees falling in forests and such.  Far to deep and certainly makes my head hurt.  

One of my favourite quotes about certainty is ‘Only a closed mind can be certain.’ 

To have ave an open mind and look at projectable models, to essentially look into the past with understanding, the goal of seeing the possible, not the proven. 

Some people can see ahead, certainly the future is coming. There are some that will only believe the sun will rise tomorrow when they see it with their own eyes.  

Eyes wide shut I peer into the future and believe the sun will rise tomorrow.  

Pettersson is that sun... this endeth my philosophical rant. 

EmW

PS, totally sober and don’t smoke weed.... maybe I should...

You're right, this thread should be moved to the current roster section :P

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Do we need a big time Dman to QB our Power Play if EP 40 can do it from the half boards?

Yes because you need the threat from the point, the shot and just the movement. With EP and Boeser on each half boards you have our version of Backstrom and Ovie on each side, now you need the Carlson, hopefully Juolevi or this years draft pick becomes that guy. Joulovi has the smarts, he showed it at the WJC and in Junior, so not too worried.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Hi there, 

Just want to point out two things, 1st this is the CDC, so it certainly isn’t a place where there has to be ‘proof’ for someone to be certain. 

2nd, this is the prospects forum, literally the very location on this certainly uncertain site where people write about future prospects that are unproven by definition, thus are ‘prospects’ and not ‘players’.  So to talk about certainty in the forum dedicated to uncertainties is a paradox that boogles the mind. 

‘To be certain is to have proof.’ Is a philosophy that makes me think of trees falling in forests and such.  Far to deep and certainly makes my head hurt.  

One of my favourite quotes about certainty is ‘Only a closed mind can be certain.’ 

To have ave an open mind and look at projectable models, to essentially look into the past with understanding, the goal of seeing the possible, not the proven. 

Some people can see ahead, certainly the future is coming. There are some that will only believe the sun will rise tomorrow when they see it with their own eyes.  

Eyes wide shut I peer into the future and believe the sun will rise tomorrow.  

Pettersson is that sun... this endeth my philosophical rant. 

EmW

PS, totally sober and don’t smoke weed.... maybe I should...

1. I understand that this is the prospects forum, but I've seen enough posts that state definitively that he will be elite in the NHL and that's ignorant. You're ignoring context and trying to draw a conclusion based on the name of the forum it's posted in.

2. That's a garbage quote from someone trying to rationalize a defined term to their will. Certainty is proof. Gravity is proven. Are people close minded for being certain about it? Of course you can look ahead and predict based on available information. It's still a belief, not certainty. Certainty is not belief. I believe the sun will rise tomorrow, but for all we know, a catastrophic disaster will happen and it won't. You're not certain about it, you are confident about it based on history and available information.

I will repeat myself. I am CONFIDENT that he will be an excellent NHL'er based on available information, but anyone who says he will for sure is wrong. There is no way to actually know it until it happens.

49 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

You're splitting hairs on terminology. I can be confident about a prospect but still accept the fact that there is a possibility of them not translating. I believe Pettersson will be great but certainly is impossible until proven.

To be certain is to have proof.

Not splitting hairs at all.  In your definition, no one is ever really going to give you confidence until they are proven in the NHL and, if they are proven in the NHL, they are no longer prospects....so it is not so much about you seeing any given prospect as giving you confidence, it is that you don't think there should be a term "prospect" as once they are proven in the NHL, they are not a prospect and you say you have no confidence in a prospect until they are proven in the NHL....soooo, the term doesn't exist in your world I guess.

Right?    Unless, of course, you see the adjective "unproven" in front of the word prospect in all cases.