The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Bigturk8 said:

1. I understand that this is the prospects forum, but I've seen enough posts that state definitively that he will be elite in the NHL and that's ignorant. You're ignoring context and trying to draw a conclusion based on the name of the forum it's posted in.

2. That's a garbage quote from someone trying to rationalize a defined term to their will. Certainty is proof. Gravity is proven. Are people close minded for being certain about it? Of course you can look ahead and predict based on available information. It's still a belief, not certainty. Certainty is not belief. I believe the sun will rise tomorrow, but for all we know, a catastrophic disaster will happen and it won't. You're not certain about it, you are confident about it based on history and available information.

I will repeat myself. I am CONFIDENT that he will be an excellent NHL'er based on available information, but anyone who says he will for sure is wrong. There is no way to actually know it until it happens.

Dude,

I was &^@#ing kidding... don’t get

caught up in semantics on an internet forum, it is certain to get you all worked up for nothing.  

Seriously take a break and go outside. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Not splitting hairs at all.  In your definition, no one is ever really going to give you confidence until they are proven in the NHL and, if they are proven in the NHL, they are no longer prospects....so it is not so much about you seeing any given prospect as giving you confidence, it is that you don't think there should be a term "prospect" as once they are proven in the NHL, they are not a prospect and you say you have no confidence in a prospect until they are proven in the NHL....soooo, the term doesn't exist in your world I guess.

Right?    Unless, of course, you see the adjective "unproven" in front of the word prospect in all cases.

I said that I'm confident that he will be an excellent NHLer. Did you miss that? Confidence does not equal certainty. If you can't grasp that very simple concept, then there's not talking to you.

It's a shame for me because I appreciate your optimism in posts. For the most part, I've agreed with you, but you're specifically ignoring defined terms and cherry picking parts of my posts.

1 minute ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Dude,

I was &^@#ing kidding... don’t get

caught up in semantics on an internet forum, it is certain to get you all worked up for nothing.  

Seriously take a break and go outside. 

Tone gets lost in text. If you were joking, then I apologize, but it wasn't clear that you were.

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

1. I understand that this is the prospects forum, but I've seen enough posts that state definitively that he will be elite in the NHL and that's ignorant. You're ignoring context and trying to draw a conclusion based on the name of the forum it's posted in.

2. That's a garbage quote from someone trying to rationalize a defined term to their will. Certainty is proof. Gravity is proven. Are people close minded for being certain about it? Of course you can look ahead and predict based on available information. It's still a belief, not certainty. Certainty is not belief. I believe the sun will rise tomorrow, but for all we know, a catastrophic disaster will happen and it won't. You're not certain about it, you are confident about it based on history and available information.

I will repeat myself. I am CONFIDENT that he will be an excellent NHL'er based on available information, but anyone who says he will for sure is wrong. There is no way to actually know it until it happens.

Of course nothing is a certainty until it happens.   I don't think anyone is disputing that and you seem to be arguing with yourself or semantics in general.   

Certainty is indeed different that belief......and I certainly believe you need to see something for proof but I don't see anyone disputing that.   EP is an elite prospects.   Elite prospects quite often become elite NHL players.   Not always.   Often.    

I don't think anyone is saying "for sure he will" do anything.....I think people are simply project.   For all we know, he could quit hockey tomorrow to lead a new Swedish Heavy Metal band, none of us know for sure.    

What I do know for sure, you will respond.   :)

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Of course nothing is a certainty until it happens.   I don't think anyone is disputing that and you seem to be arguing with yourself or semantics in general.   

Certainty is indeed different that belief......and I certainly believe you need to see something for proof but I don't see anyone disputing that.   EP is an elite prospects.   Elite prospects quite often become elite NHL players.   Not always.   Often.    

I don't think anyone is saying "for sure he will" do anything.....I think people are simply project.   For all we know, he could quit hockey tomorrow to lead a new Swedish Heavy Metal band, none of us know for sure.    

What I do know for sure, you will respond.   :)

"Of course nothing is a certainty until it happens"

That is my only point. I've seen people definitively say that he will be elite. My only point is to say that it's not definitive. Nothing else.

2 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

I said that I'm confident that he will be an excellent NHLer. Did you miss that? Confidence does not equal certainty. If you can't grasp that very simple concept, then there's not talking to you.

It's a shame for me because I appreciate your optimism in posts. For the most part, I've agreed with you, but you're specifically ignoring defined terms and cherry picking parts of my posts.

I don't think I am optimistic at all....I think I am realistic with prospects.   I think elite prospects have a very good chance to be elite NHL players.    I don't think ANYONE is saying anything "for sure" but you.    I don't know why you are picking at this and seemingly trying to start an argument no one is interested in having but...there you are doing just that.

Again, you are 100% right, no one knows anything for sure about the future (well, I do know a coming response to this post but I have powers of foresight in that area) but the very term prospect implies that any discussion about future  is speculation and projection.   No one knows what he will actually do - and I have not seen anyone imply that situation other than you arguing that they are.

Cheers!   :)

1 minute ago, Bigturk8 said:

"Of course nothing is a certainty until it happens"

That is my only point. I've seen people definitively say that he will be elite. My only point is to say that it's not definitive. Nothing else.

Who has said that?  I have read this thread and see no one saying that.   All I read is projection and some coming on saying "you can't know the future".   Who is making guarantees....I don't see that but perhaps I ignore things I find false.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't think I am optimistic at all....I think I am realistic with prospects.   I think elite prospects have a very good chance to be elite NHL players.    I don't think ANYONE is saying anything "for sure" but you.    I don't know why you are picking at this and seemingly trying to start an argument no one is interested in having but...there you are doing just that.

Again, you are 100% right, no one knows anything for sure about the future (well, I do know a coming response to this post but I have powers of foresight in that area) but the very term prospect implies that any discussion about future  is speculation and projection.   No one knows what he will actually do - and I have not seen anyone imply that situation other than you arguing that they are.

Cheers!   :)

"well, I do know a coming response to this post but I have powers of foresight in that area"

I hate seeing things like this.

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/tre-kronor/dumma-fragor-far-dumma-svar/

Elias is clearly tired of answering questions about his weight. Gave an interview where he expressed frustration with people who think that he needs to gain 20 kilos to be effective in the NHL. Points out that plenty of guys manage to find NHL success at similar weights to his own. Said he’s just going to use the comments about his weight as motivation to prove people wrong. The title of the Swedish article is a direct quote from Pettersson. Translates as “stupid questions get stupid answers” and basically sums up his feelings about press’s obsession with the weight issue.

Elias has already said he’s going to work hard to build muscle and improve his strength. But it’s about getting stronger, and not just getting heavier, and clearly he’s getting sick of people telling him he’s too light for the NHL.

Also, Pettersson has been nominated for a European Hockey Award in the Young Player of the Year category:

It's got to be insulting at this point. 

3 minutes ago, Qwags said:

It's got to be insulting at this point. 

Yeah, I think in either that article or another recent one, he talks about being called “too skinny” for pretty much his whole life. And at every level, he’s proven people wrong and showed himself to be more than capable of playing versus heavier opponents. So it’s probably wearing pretty thin (no pun intended) at this point.

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, I think in either that article or another recent one, he talks about being called “too skinny” for pretty much his whole life. And at every level, he’s proven people wrong and showed himself to be more than capable of playing versus heavier opponents. So it’s probably wearing pretty thin (no pun intended) at this point.

I guarantee a question like this is going to be asked of him in the future, "Hey Elias, great season. Having notched your second straight 90 point season, do you think if you were heavier, you could score more?"

Edited by Qwags
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Qwags said:

I guarantee a question like this is going to be asked of him in the future, "Hey Elias, great season. Having notched your second straight 90 point season, do you think if you were heavier, you could score more?"

Oh yeah, but I’m sure he’s ready for it. And he’ll politely answer repeated questions about his weight at camp. But he also has that fire inside him and he might just speak his mind and have a pretty savage reply ready for the 20th NA reporter who asks him if he’s heavy enough to compete. I hope so. 

He’s like most Scandinavians. Very cool and patient. But also doesn’t suffer fools too easily. Eventually enough’s enough and the Viking blood boils. Takes a lot to go over the edge, but when it happens, look out. :lol:

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Oh yeah, but I’m sure he’s ready for it. And he’ll politely answer repeated questions about his weight at camp. But he also has that fire inside him and he might just speak his mind and have a pretty savage reply ready for the 20th NA reporter who asks him if he’s heavy enough to compete. I hope so. 

He’s like most Scandinavians. Very cool and patient. But also doesn’t suffer fools too easily. Eventually enough’s enough and the Viking blood boils. Takes a lot to go over the edge, but when it happens, look out. :lol:

I hope its botchford he goes off on, or pratt, or both

1 hour ago, Bigturk8 said:

"well, I do know a coming response to this post but I have powers of foresight in that area"

I hate seeing things like this.

Why?   You helped me make a prediction come through.    See, some things in the future can be assured!   :)

For the record, I agree with you that there are no guarantees but I find there little point in having a discussion about prospects if you invalidate projections as there is nothing else to do with prospects....by the very definition of them being prospects.

Again, I didn't see anyone saying things were assured - you said that is why you chimed in and I asked you to give an example, not a biggie you didn't but it seems you just wanted to throw some cold water and I was curious why and on who.   

1 hour ago, Bigturk8 said:

Apparently I've misjudged CDC in saying that people are "certain" about the NHL career of Pettersson. If that's the case, I'm sorry. I'm excited about the kid.

Again, who said anything "certain"?    I think everyone is projecting based upon the evidence of his play so far.   You keep saying that such is worthless until you see the direct evidence......fair enough but then why bother commenting on prospects if you don't believe in the concept?

• Upvote 4