The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Looked dangerous all game had lots of chances and could have had a goal and a apple. He still looks like a kid among men, but his talent looks to make up for any weaknesses.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Ya, caught me a bit off guard too but I am one of the younger guys in the group tonight so others pushed and he insisted that Gretzky was insane thinker but he felt Mario was as good or better and never had near the supporting case the Gretzky had and was, in his mind, a bigger talent than 99.   Blasphemy I guess to many but this dude thinks the game and has been around it longer than I have been alive.   Back to EP, he said if you watch the greats they all play with their head up but looking where others are not looking....and the best of the best always seem to be looking at the opponent net out of some portion of their direct or peripheral vision and he says EP does this more than anyone he has seen since Mario.    I find that insight fascinating and I will watch differently - you think you know a lot but can still learn....and I did tonight.

Not to drag things off topic, but I always ask the "Gretzky had a better supporting cast" arguers who they mean specifically, a guy like Paul Coffey for example?

46 minutes ago, nzan said:

Not to drag things off topic, but I always ask the "Gretzky had a better supporting cast" arguers who they mean specifically, a guy like Paul Coffey for example?

Gretzky was plain and simple a better point producer than Mario. Mario could stick handle around two defenders with pure skill. Gretzky could get 5 points from pure IQ with out beating anyone one on one.  Elias is as close to a cross breed to both as I have ever seen. Head up, he passes when players expect a shot He shoots when players expect a pass, and he exerts with quick speed when there appears to be nothing there.  Elias is still young enough to be learning and getting better. He is 19 so not even in his fast years.

• Upvote 1

EP sees...EP does...everybody else...catch up, keep up with the program.

Whatever EP wants to do he does...every game, even though he is so young and playing with some of the best players in the world...EP has one bad play and a miss fire that he would have potted had he made contact.

ThenHe hit the crossbar, he set up a sure goal too 2 guys with a wide open net and every single pass but one was on the tape and with speed...

There is zero chance he gets benched with the new guys arriving....I would like to see him with Forsberg anyway....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

EP sees...EP does...everybody else...catch up, keep up with the program.

Whatever EP wants to do he does...every game, even though he is so young and playing with some of the best players in the world...EP has one bad play and a miss fire that he would have potted had he made contact.

ThenHe hit the crossbar, he set up a sure goal too 2 guys with a wide open net and every single pass but one was on the tape and with speed...

There is zero chance he gets benched with the new guys arriving....I would like to see him with Forsberg anyway....

Its sure looking like Elias has the attention of Sweden if not the whole world. Everyone is finding out who he is. Sweden fans like Vancouver fans want to see EP, Why? Because like Vancouver fans Swedish fans feel their watching something that doesn't come around often , A talent you tell your kids you watched when he was just a young kid. Or a player that all other players now coming through Sweden will compare themselves too. EP has raised the bar. Uni cycles may become the new normal routine for junior hockey players

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Mario never accomplished what Gretzky could do point wise. 

Generally agreed, and I'm 100% in the Gretzky is goat camp; that said, most people forget that the first time Mario retired he was the only player in history to do so at above 2.0 ppg.

Also, while its ridiculous to be talking about Pettersson in the same breath...I'm kind of enjoying having something unbelievable to cheer for!

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, nzan said:

Generally agreed, and I'm 100% in the Gretzky is goat camp; that said, most people forget that the first time Mario retired he was the only player in history to do so at above 2.0 ppg.

Also, while its ridiculous to be talking about Pettersson in the same breath...I'm kind of enjoying having something unbelievable to cheer for!

there was talk about Mario scoring 100 goals

I haven't seen moves like that since the days of Pavel Bure.  Pettersson is going to be a beauty.  Boeser is going to be a beauty.  The fruits of Benning's labour is about to come to fruition.  I really hope they give Pettersson a full shot at making the team next year.  He would fill a massive hole in our lineup.  

• Upvote 4

I love the excitement of fans here but a few observations

- EP is not Gretz or Mario! lol...I know you didn't mean it but he's not that level, but;

- He is clearly a player who has the potential (key word potential) to be a game breaker. I think people do often have a hard time believing the Canucks have a player that has broken records of Peter Forsberg, the twins, Kent Nilsson, all who were unbelievable players. Sometimes, I think its Canucks fan's mentality to either get too high, or go the other way and say, well we don't get that lucky so he can't be that good.

The point is, let's also let the kid develop and not panic if he doesn't come in and score 90 pts as a rookie, or is in the AHL etc. Clearly we have a gem, let's let the smart hockey minds we have ensure he's developed well enough to find his ceiling. Even if that takes some time, we will all be happy to watch a decade or more of his skill.

Edited by EuroCanuck
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nzan said:

No idea as not my argument (99 versus 66).   They were before my time and I understand though that Oilers were stacked.   I guess Coffey was tip of that iceberg.    

2 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Anyone know his complete stats so far for the tournament?

Having trouble finding anything up to date. 

2 pts in 5 games. 

(1 goal 1 assist).

Eliteprospects have players point totals but in depth stats are found below:

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/495/index.html

just go down the list of games and find the game you want and click on summary.

Edited by Odd.

I would not go that far, but bure for sure brought people right out of their seats every night!

Tiger Williams did at times as he could do more then just fight

Stan well he was exciting but not at that level!

Mogilny was another that brought some (like me) out of my seat!

since I do not know of any that could do that unless a goal was scored, but Bure did not have to score to do it!

Ep tried the fancy move for the goal. That rarely works but A for effort. I don't mind him trying that stuff playing for his country. But when he is a Canuck, would love to see him just roof a backhand top shelf instead of trying the in between the legs move....but that is just me, more often he will score on a backhand than thru the legs.