The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 30/07/2017 at 11:21 PM, Where'd Luongo? said:

Word on the street is Pettersson seeked out Virtanen so that he can show him the ropes and get into game shape for training camp.

Word on the street is that the use of the word "seeked" completely nullifies any effect you intended

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Andy G said:

Thoughts on his performance today?

Looked decent. Would have preferred to see him playing center as that's his natural position. You can tell he has phenomenal hockey sense, really tracks the puck well and has great hand eye coordination, knocking pucks out of the air and causing turnovers. Didn't really stand out that much but you can see the potential

only saw the 3rd period. he looked pretty good, fast, outmuscled easily, but high compete level. Looked like he was out of gas a lot, he certainly is going to be a beast once he gains more muscle mass. Split the D men late in the third and drove the net, but fell onto the back checker last second only to get a weak one handed back hand sweep on net.

Team Sweden had very bad decision making skills often shooting into a sea of blue defenders who easily blocked the puck instead of making the obvious play to the open man with a lane. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I would rather Pettersson or any of our young guys for that matter not be playing hockey right now. Rather they be in the gym. Or even just taking a break from hockey. I hate the summer as much as the next fan but it's good for players to kind of unwind and get away from the game for a bit. Recharge and re-energize. It can't be easy for young men, essentially teenagers, to be playing so much hockey for such a huge part of the year. I'd rather see, or I guess hear, Pettersson working on strength in the gym than playing hockey right now. It was stated from someone in the Canucks org that young guys don't get the gym time they need cause they are constantly playing hockey year round.

I thought its ok.  He was good the 1st game, these games are way too small of a sample size. 

Huges outplayed Dhalin apparently badly does it mean he will go ahead of him?

On 2017-07-30 at 10:52 AM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Wow, crazy hand eye coordination. Also a ton of hustle to his game. 

It's not overly surprising that he tweaked something though, watching these highlights he played almost 7 and a half minutes in the first period alone, at high speed in the middle of summer. These things happen, I'm sure he'll be fine. 

10 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I thought its ok.  He was good the 1st game, these games are way too small of a sample size. 

Huges outplayed Dhalin apparently badly does it mean he will go ahead of him?

While Quinn has been dominant so far, Dahlin has yet to play a game in this summer showcase.

• Upvote 1

It was a good game for Pettersson, he did not take over the game but he brought a lot of positives.  He didn't get the assist on the Andersson goal but maybe he should have?? He knows that redirected pucks sometimes land on the other players stick.  He also did knock down a few pucks that were potential passes from the opposition so he shows great hand eye coordination.  He has speed to burn, I wasn't expecting to see that because he slows things down in the O zone but when the puck is going the other way he flies.

Would be nice to see him centre a line versus playing on the wing though.  Maybe switch him and Andersson up from time to time.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

Not impressive at all. Lias Andersson and Timothy Liljegren were the standouts today.

One game of course though folks -- let's not panic ^_^

Being reported that he is playing through a hip problem. Not sure why he is playing. 

He had a decent enough game. PP time but no PK time. On one PP he was on the RD. Coaching obviously likes what it sees. Thought he did not play a lot in the 2nd. Late in the 3rd he was getting a lot of ice.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I would rather Pettersson or any of our young guys for that matter not be playing hockey right now. Rather theybe in the gym. Or even just taking a break from hockey. I hate the summer as much as the next fan but it's good for players to kind of unwind and get away from the game for a bit. Recharge and re-energize. It can't be easy for young men, essentially teenagers, to be playing so much hockey for such a huge part of the year. I'd rather see, or I guess hear, Pettersson working on strength in the gym than playing hockey right now. It was stated from someone in the Canucks org that young guys don't get the gym time they need cause they are constantly playing hockey year round.

Get into the gym. 

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Being reported that he is playing through a hip problem. Not sure why he is playing. 

He had a decent enough game. PP time but no PK time. On one PP he was on the RD. Coaching obviously likes what it sees. Thought he did not play a lot in the 2nd. Late in the 3rd he was getting a lot of ice.  

I don't love the idea of him playing through an injury in this.

10 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I don't love the idea of him playing through an injury in this.

I don't think he is. He said himself it was just a minor thing, he's clearly not labouring or at least its not showing up on the ice. I doubt he'd jeopardize his season in Sweden in Sep. if it was anything remotely serious.