The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think a few people who don't really get how hockey works (e.g. each player develops at their own pace, the players around you matter etc. etc.) will compare him to many, many things and that is fine.    People "going nuts" on any kid until they have been able to develop, get to the NHL and then have a few seasons under their belt is ridiculous.    Your Canucks could have given up on players like Kesler and the Sedins earlier in their careers for not putting up massive numbers.

I think IF EP is in the NHL next year, and is able to play 75 plus games, 40 to 50 points would be outstanding given he will not be on an offensive juggernaut team.    If that makes some people "go nuts" then that will be entertaining to watch.

|||I hear your reasoning but it is so flawed when you throw Kesler in with Petterson.  Petterson is a top tier talent with high expectations based on his accomplishments similar to players like McDavid and Matthews Crosby just to name a few. If he was 175 or 180 lbs last year he would have went higher. Lower level players are often not given the chance to play up to their capacity. Maybe you could say that about Gaudette, Cole Lind etc But EP is generational and the whole Hockey world is watching this kid at 19 do what only a few players have ever done. He is still a boy against men. But his talent is so elite that he dominates. 

Its MAy and lots of time to recover, and a well needed rest is coming. This year Elias proved he could play against men, In fact he dominated against men. He proved he could skate and anticipate plays like no other. He blew shots by goalies with slap shots and lazer precise wrist shots. He could beat players one on one, and at times with ease. He passed the puck with the same accuracy he could shoot with. He also demonstrated a lot more speed the last two months than the entire year before. If he was draft eligible this year where do you think he would go. It would be an argument between 1st or 2nd and it would come down to team needs. Because Elias is so good on the point he himself eliminates the need for the offensive defenseman to run the point or entire power play. In fact in a few years maybe know one in the entire league will be as dangerous  as EP is on the power play. So I would consider EP first over all in this years draft. So Vancouver has never picked first. So what we got Bure. Now we got EP, and to me Canuck luck is finally changing, so it could mean one of two things.

My dad used to say to me" the End of the world would come before Canucks win a cup!" So maybe its the end of the world. Or maybe he was wrong. lol  

Most broken hand/finger injuries typically, need 3-6 weeks to recover. On top of that, depending the severity might need a little bit a rehab for it.  Not terrible, would still have lot of time to recover in time for training camp.

Only thing is he might have to regain strength back in the thumb, I have fractured my thumb before playing hockey, and it took a good month before it was back to normal.  

Hopefully EP's situation is not severe

• Upvote 1

No doubt the kid needs to add some weight, but he doesn't need to get a summer beach bod. He needs core strength, better balance, etc. His legs appear so ridiculously long relative to the rest of him that it is going to be hard for him to have the type of balance that a Crosby-type player has. Be patient. 

22 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

No idea as not my argument (99 versus 66).   They were before my time and I understand though that Oilers were stacked.   I guess Coffey was tip of that iceberg.    

The joke is that for every Paul Coffey that Gretzky had, Lemieux had literally a Paul Coffey.

"Yeah well Lemieux never had anyone like Messier" - you've never heard of Ron Francis have you?

"Well Gretzky had Kurri" - there's no way you haven't heard of Jagr.

"Anderson, Tikanen..."

- Robitaille, Trottier...

There's no question Gretzky's team was superior and all at the same time, but the people that make these arguments don't usually remember what a stacked HOF team Lemieux had too.

Edited by nzan
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

|||I hear your reasoning but it is so flawed when you throw Kesler in with Petterson.  Petterson is a top tier talent with high expectations based on his accomplishments similar to players like McDavid and Matthews Crosby just to name a few. If he was 175 or 180 lbs last year he would have went higher. Lower level players are often not given the chance to play up to their capacity. Maybe you could say that about Gaudette, Cole Lind etc But EP is generational and the whole Hockey world is watching this kid at 19 do what only a few players have ever done. He is still a boy against men. But his talent is so elite that he dominates. 

Wow, I am very high on EP but "generational" is not a term I would use for any player until they have a few seasons under their belt in the NHL.    Moreover, Kesler is a great example of a talented kid who took a bit of time to find his legs.   He didn't learn to skate and shoot in the NHL - he had those skills but he learned when and how to use them.   EP will need some time to adjust -I don't expect it to be instant.

15 minutes ago, nzan said:

The joke is that for every Paul Coffey that Gretzky had, Lemieux had literally a Paul Coffey.

"Yeah well Lemieux never had anyone like Messier" - you've never heard of Ron Francis have you?

"Well Gretzky had Kurri" - there's no way you haven't heard of Jagr.

"Anderson, Tikanen..."

- Robitaille, Trottier...

There's no question Gretzky's team was superior and all at the same time, but the people that make these arguments don't usually remember what a stacked HOF team Lemieux had too.

I don't remember either as I am too young and it is not my argument so apologies for implying that 99 was not greater than 66.   Statistically 66 scored more per 60 and more per game (until cancer and comeback) but, as you were there to watch apparently, if 66 has a better supporting cast that could explain it.    

I think both players were probably pretty good...right?   :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Fractured thumb confirmed

Screenshot_20180513-174812_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20180513-174756_Chrome.jpg

Looked like a potential for gameskeeper injury.   Six weeks of no thumb wrestling or uni-cycle.   

He gets some deserved rest with the knowledge he stacks up just fine with some of the best in the world.   Future is so bright for this kid!   

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Looked like a potential for gameskeeper injury.   Six weeks of no thumb wrestling or uni-cycle.   

He gets some deserved rest with the knowledge he stacks up just fine with some of the best in the world.   Future is so bright for this kid!   

Yep i agree. Another amazing benning pick.  At least he broke it in style lol

20180513_181652.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't remember either as I am too young and it is not my argument so apologies for implying that 99 was not greater than 66.   Statistically 66 scored more per 60 and more per game (until cancer and comeback) but, as you were there to watch apparently, if 66 has a better supporting cast that could explain it.    

I think both players were probably pretty good...right?   :lol:

Haha, I’m just making up arguments to hear myself digress I suppose. I believe that Gretzky was unequivocally the greatest of all time, but if people want to argue for Mario or numba-foah-bobby-oah I’m cool with that.

And it was cool to hear that CBJ scout’s take on things, so thanks for sharing.

The fact that people are mentioning Pettersson in the same discussion as players like that, as ridiculous and hyperbolic (and potentially damaging if he doesn’t immediately fulfill outrageous expectations) it all is...its pretty special to have a player of this caliber in our system!

Edited by nzan

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎23 at 4:38 PM, Adarsh Sant said:

khkjh.PNG

He's gonna be a stud........talk to me in 4 years.

Sorry I couldn't wait to talk . Its happening!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1