The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, gurn said:

That would be a good reason to stay in the SHL. Nice thinking.

He literally has nothing left to prove in the SHL. I see staying in the SHL as a regression or lateral move at best. Take your talents to North America and get used to the style. 

6 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

He literally has nothing left to prove in the SHL. I see staying in the SHL as a regression or lateral move at best. Take your talents to North America and get used to the style. 

He could stay and prove he can play center in the SHL, something he has left undone.

It would be counterproductive for him to spend another year in Sweden.

Learning to play the North American game on NHL sized ice > Playing another year in a league he's already dominated (even if it is center)

I'll be extremely disappointed if he chooses to go back to Sweden for a year. 

My only concern is his contract status.  A drafted player who does not sign for 2 years becomes draft eligible again.  Can this happen with EP?  

Otherwise, no concerns.  He's still a kid and Canucks will suck again next year.  What's the rush?  He'll get bigger and stronger and be that much better in 2019-20.

14 minutes ago, zapperman said:

From a business standpoint, I simply cannot see this happening. Canucks need fans and EP is going to be one of the biggest draws this year. There hasn’t been this much excitement/ anticipation since Bure. 

I don't remember the time when the Canucks drafted Bure and how much anticipation there was, but would the fans then be all pissy and whiny if Bure hadn't joined the team and waited another year? For some reason, I feel like the times have changed.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I don't remember the time when the Canucks drafted Bure and how much anticipation there was, but would the fans then be all pissy and whiny if Bure hadn't joined the team and waited another year? For some reason, I feel like the times have changed.

You’re right right, times have changed. People were excited and eagerly anticipating, but there wasn’t the social media (or internet for that matter) so if people were to be pissy, it would have been much less so and face to face among friends. But still think much less whiny overall. I was out of the country at the time so was only pleasantly surprised to get back in the fall to watch his magic. 

2 hours ago, Zedlee said:

My only concern is his contract status.  A drafted player who does not sign for 2 years becomes draft eligible again.  Can this happen with EP?  

Otherwise, no concerns.  He's still a kid and Canucks will suck again next year.  What's the rush?  He'll get bigger and stronger and be that much better in 2019-20.

4 years draft rights on European players.

Or more technically: 4 years rights for any player drafted while under license to a team from an IIHF member organization that signed the European transfer agreement. ;) 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

I haven't posted here since EP's injury. Yet another body blow for Canuck fans.

A broken thumb is a body blow?    Do you really follow contact sports?    You realize that to the player it is, at best, a mild inconvenience forgotten about 3 seconds after the cast is off.    

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

3-4 weeks of not being able to use a hand is a body blow, it doesn't matter what type of injury it is or who it happens to.  A body blow, not a knockout punch

It is a nice rest.   You can still do cardio.   Of all the injuries you get over a career, this is about as benign as they come.     A body blow where I come from is something that comes just before the knock out - this is like a light jab that you didn't expect but all it did was give you better insight to the guys left and next round he is toast.....:)

• Upvote 1

Just now, The 5th Line said:

We aren't comparing this injury with any other, it's a minor injury that will heal quickly but it is still an inconvenience.  The kid needs weight training and core work outs not more conditioning, and he could be playing valuable minutes in a big tourny right now.  It's a body blow to Canuck fans no matter which way you try to spin it.

OK, sure.   If ever minor injury in one of the most physical sports in the world is a "body blow" to some fans, I suggest they need to start following bowling, golf or perhaps badminton.    Boeser's injury was a "body blow" and Dorsett had a "knock out" - that is how players view it.   They don't spin things, they simply play the game and play it in a manner that results in pretty much everyone getting injured at some point and multiple times is more common than not.

How on earth you can spin this as something significant is clearly a sign you are going to find this a loooooong summer with your Canucks.    :lol:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

So there is no downside too Elias breaking his finger?   No negatives to take out of it at all?

Yeh he hurt is thumb and going to miss a couple weeks of his vacation time from Hockey.