The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

#14? Thats his real number anyways 

Well, I guess that would make things easier. Although I was kidding about Jašek getting first choice at #40. I’m pretty sure Lukáš would be happy with any number if it meant he made the NHL (and he’s worn 17, 21, and 40, that I know of anyway). Pettersson should really get his pick of whatever numbers are open. And I think as much as Canucks fans loved our previous #14, they’d probably be pretty happy to see Elias wear it next. Although he does look good in #40, and most of us over here are used to seeing him in that number.

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well, I guess that would make things easier. Although I was kidding about Jašek getting first choice at #40. I’m pretty sure Lukáš would be happy with any number if it meant he made the NHL (and he’s worn 17, 21, and 40, that I know of anyway). Pettersson should really get his pick of whatever numbers are open. And I think as much as Canucks fans loved our previous #14, they’d probably be pretty happy to see Elias wear it next. Although he does look good in #40, and most of us over here are used to seeing him in that number.

Yeah, i caught that sarcasm even though im Swedish B) maybe put #55 on him! He is according to some the Sedins packaged into 1 body after all! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

#14? Thats his real number anyways 

I thought I saw his sig with the number #40 on it, I know he wore #41 at rookie camp last year.  I hope he chooses #40, pretty rare number for a superstar.

8 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

Yeah, i caught that sarcasm even though im Swedish B) maybe put #55 on him! He is according to some the Sedins packaged into 1 body after all! 

Sorry, it’s always hard to tell on these boards if people (Swedish or otherwise) get the sarcasm. Even with the ;) sometimes it doesn’t come across.

#55 would be pretty funny. It’s such a typical rugged defenseman number so it’d be an interesting look for our little alien. But I do like the Sedins angle.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’ve heard it’s already hanging from the rafters of the Roxy.

nah, that's just one of ob's sweat-and-axe-reaking affliction shirts that he accidentally left behind in the parking lot one night. 

Edited by tas

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i heard elias is a big fan of prince (rip)

and is likely to go numberless

and wear a blank jersey moving forward

he'll copyright that choice

so that jersey producers will no longer be allowed to display or sell any blank jersey

His 'number' will be the alchemy symbol for gold :lol:

gold-M.jpg?6.0.4.2

18 hours ago, bree2 said:

it amazes me that some want pettersson to play in Utica, but think gaunce should be on the Canucks. boggles the mind!!!

I recently heard a segment on 1040, with Blake and Price I believe. They ran an interview with Pettersson, where the interviewer asked him if he would be open to playing in Utica next season if that was the case. There was a long pause, and then "ummm, ummm, ummm..." Then he went on to say that his goal is to make the Canucks. It's like playing in Utica isn't even an option for him. If the Canucks try to stifle his skill and desire by forcing him to play in Utica (ala Tryamkin) he could end up staying in Sweden next season. That's just my opinion though. Pettersson will not play in Utica, he's too good, just like Boeser.

EDIT: Of course, this was before he signed his 3-year ELC, so I'm not sure how that works, if he's even able to play in Sweden. He's making the Canucks, I have no doubts.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I recently heard a segment on 1040, with Blake and Price I believe. They ran an interview with Pettersson, where the interviewer asked him if he would be open to playing in Utica next season if that was the case. There was a long pause, and then "ummm, ummm, ummm..." Then he went on to say that his goal is to make the Canucks. It's like playing in Utica isn't even an option for him. If the Canucks try to stifle his skill and desire by forcing him to play in Utica (ala Tryamkin) he could end up staying in Sweden next season. That's just my opinion though. Pettersson will not play in Utica, he's too good, just like Boeser.

1. blake and price are the same person

2. pettersson stammered trying to think of the politically correct answer in a foreign language. he did end up saying that he would go down if that's what the team thought was best for him. that said, he obviously has no intention of playing in the ahl if he can possibly help it, and frankly, I don't really see a way that he isn't one of the 14 best forwards at the end of camp. 

3. has there been some sort of out clause reported in pettersson's contract? if not, he doesn't have the option of playing in sweden next year unless the canucks are willing to loan him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, tas said:

2. pettersson stammered trying to think of the politically correct answer in a foreign language. he did end up saying that he would go down if that's what the team thought was best for him. that said, he obviously has no intention of playing in the ahl if he can possibly help it, and frankly, I don't really see a way that he isn't one of the 14 best forwards at the end of camp. 

3. has there been some sort of out clause reported in pettersson's contract? if not, he doesn't have the option of playing in sweden next year unless the canucks are willing to loan him. 

haha, oops, goes to show I never really listen to that stuff (radio). It was on in the car one day and I took notice when they talked about the Pettersson interview. I just don't see him playing any games in Utica, and he probably doesn't either. 

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Sorry, it’s always hard to tell on these boards if people (Swedish or otherwise) get the sarcasm. Even with the ;) sometimes it doesn’t come across.

#55 would be pretty funny. It’s such a typical rugged defenseman number so it’d be an interesting look for our little alien. But I do like the Sedins angle.

Should be Fun! Brings thoughtsto other Double digits aswell.. *cough* 66 *cough* 99

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, tas said:

I’d speculated pretty heavily in the previous weeks that Pettersson would request a European assignment clause.

Then, when the deal was reported, no mention of said clause.

So I figured that being the first 5th overall pick in NHL history to receive a max ELC (including max Schedule B bonuses) had been enough for Pettersson to take the clause off the table.

But looking at Cap Friendly today, there it is: “This contract includes a European Assignment Clause.”

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/elias-pettersson

So yes, he has an out clause for Sweden and the right to refuse an AHL demotion.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Kinda figured Dahlen might take #14, and Pettersson the inverse 41 or 40.

40 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So yes, he has an out clause for Sweden and the right to refuse an AHL demotion.

I really don't see this as an issue. The only way he sees ANY time in the AHL is if he's like 95% NHL ready but maybe needs a couple weeks to adjust and/or there's a numbers game where they need to 'Stecher' him for a couple games while they clear the decks.

If he's not that (95% + ) close to NHL ready anyway (which I'd find VERY surprising at this point), I'd imagine sending him back to the SHL is a no brainer and likely the route the Canucks would in fact prefer for his development given it's quite arguably a superior league.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I really don't see this as an issue. The only way he sees ANY time in the AHL is if he's like 95% NHL ready but maybe needs a couple weeks to adjust and/or there's a numbers game where they need to 'Stecher' him for a couple games while they clear the decks.

If he's not that (95% + ) close to NHL ready anyway (which I'd find VERY surprising at this point), I'd imagine sending him back to the SHL is a no brainer and likely the route the Canucks would in fact prefer for his development given it's quite arguably a superior league.

Yeah, I agree. Especially given how the Canucks have handled Pettersson since he was drafted. They signed him this year because they expect him to be ready for the NHL. If they didn’t, they’d have left him in the SHL and signed him next season. He’s expected to make the Canucks roster for 2018-19. Any AHL time would be for a tuneup, not an extended stay, and even a short stint seems highly unlikely. Clause or not, I think they’d loan him back to Växjö anyway if he didn’t look ready for the NHL. I think the clause also gives a little nod to the wishes of the SHL and the Swedish Ice Hockey Association. They’ve been lobbying pretty hard over recent years for top Swedish players who don’t crack NHL teams to get reassigned to their SHL clubs versus going down the the AHL. 

• Cheers 1