The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, I agree. Especially given how the Canucks have handled Pettersson since he was drafted. They signed him this year because they expect him to be ready for the NHL. If they didn’t, they’d have left him in the SHL and signed him next season. He’s expected to make the Canucks roster for 2018-19. Any AHL time would be for a tuneup, not an extended stay, and even a short stint seems highly unlikely. Clause or not, I think they’d loan him back to Växjö anyway if he didn’t look ready for the NHL. I think the clause also gives a little nod to the wishes of the SHL and the Swedish Ice Hockey Association. They’ve been lobbying pretty hard over recent years for top Swedish players who don’t crack NHL teams to get reassigned to their SHL clubs versus going down the the AHL. 

If they want that, they'd likely need to be ok with having mechanisms for the players to be recalled from Europe. Obviously not something as fluid as the AHL recall process as you don't want players shuttling back and forth half way around the world on a regular basis but teams would want SOME access to their players in those circumstances I'd imagine.

Just now, aGENT said:

If they want that, they'd likely need to be ok with having mechanisms for the players to be recalled from Europe. Obviously not something as fluid as the AHL recall process as you don't want players shuttling back and forth half way around the world on a regular basis but teams would want SOME access to their players in those circumstances I'd imagine.

I think they're cool with that. The quotes I've read suggest they'd like the SHL to operate almost like a second farm system for the NHL. Allow top European players to remain with SHL clubs for their teens/early twenties on a loan system where they could be recalled to the NHL.

It's mostly about keeping their young stars around as long as possible. They understand that top players will end up in the NHL. And they have absolutely no problem with that. They'd just rather not see top young players spending years in the AHL when they could still be putting butts in seats in SHL arenas.

It's the same reason they actually lobbied for the 4 year draft rights. Two year rights put too much pressure on getting European players over to North America quickly to see if they can "handle" the game. They felt this rushed some players and hurt the development of guys that might have had NHL careers if they'd been given a couple years back home before making the trip over. With four years, NHL draft teams can take their time, give prospects a year or two to mature in the European system, bring them over as more complete and mature players, and raise the odds of developing a solid pro. It's a pretty good argument IMO.

The next stage is smoothing out some of the issues around transferring players and really operating hand-in-hand between NHL draft teams and the SHL teams.

Of course, they'd also like to see the transfer fees increase on the top players as part of the overall arrangement.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Alone he probably doesn’t even get you that. Packages with granny you might get more. Either way. What’s better a 5th round pick or zero that happens when we lose him to waivers. Little is always better than zero. 

Speaking of 5th round picks 

gaudette, forsling candella neill. 

Jb has already stated he’s going to try and obtain more picks for this years draft. 

But that doesn’t do you any good. I only penciled in gaudette and pettersson as rookies to make the team. So you don’t really have room. That would be a insult to beoser if he started 4 games in the ahl. Jb would be the laughing stock of gm. As that would simple come down to poor asset management that’s also ignoring the chances of us signing a couple ufas. 

We have a good judgment on players already. It’s not like we are going to see something different out of granny or gaunce during two weeks of training camp. 

IR doesn’t save you waivers. They still count against the roster limit you need to be under at the start of the year. Remember higgins 

There’s no risk other than poor asset management. We already know what we have with 90% of the guys. I can already tell you which guys will stay and which ones will be on the outs. the writing is already on wall. Take two players package them up and move them. We still have more than enough young guys (Lind, gadj, Dahlen, Jaden, motte, to have a real healthy competition in training camp. And if one of those young guys earn a spot, then you can make room. 

Look?

We've seen it both ways from Benning. He's dumped Shinkaruk. Was it him who moved Jensen? He's moved prospects as you propose. If he can, I am sure we will. Particularly if ''he knows?'' We'll have to see what surfaces.

At the end of the day, he also just traded for Motte & Leipsic at the deadline. Did the opposite. Added to the competition. You have to assume there was a belief in them over some others? He's sent guys to camp before, more often than unloading them. And it's not turned out to be a risk we should worry about. Tryouts are a big part of our plan! The hope there is still something, a Burrows, cough a Antoine Roussel, Marty St Louis or Tyler Johnson buried in our prospect depth?

I'd also be curious who you think will fall off?    

On 5/29/2018 at 1:25 PM, nergish said:

I hope Elite Pete wears #40, it just really seems to suit him and his unique playing style.

I also really like Dahlen wearing #54, something about it feels pretty original.

I don't know. Pettersson would have big shoes to fill by wearing the great Maxim Lapierre's number.

• Like 1