The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, cdgraham said:

i will never understand how some people on here are so inept at detecting sarcasm 

We can't all be as brilliant as you now big boy. Master detector of  sarcasms across all times across the interwebs ;) 

11 hours ago, cdgraham said:

i will never understand how some people on here are so inept at detecting sarcasm 

No kidding. Shortly after the Canucks lost them on waivers, a number of the armchair GM's were complaining incessantly about "asset management", but at this point, given their current (non) NHL careers, no rational person could possibly care about losing them. Obviously. 

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

No kidding. Shortly after the Canucks lost them on waivers, a number of the armchair GM's were complaining incessantly about "asset management", but at this point, given their current (non) NHL careers, no rational person could possibly care about losing them. Obviously. 

If they were lost for nothing, and they might have been lost for something, fans will care.

In this case they were, most likely, lost for nothing because nobody would give them anything.

Despite the #Canucks telling local media that Elias Pettersson will play at the world hockey championships for Sweden, Swedish coach Rikard Gronborg tells me that Pettersson is not  guaranteed a spot and will have to earn it.

Via text with Swedish national coach Rikard Grönborg  on Elias  Pettersson : "Elias was outstanding and should play in the NHL. He is  skilled and will get bigger and stronger. He will play next year or the  year after." #Canucks

More

Vaxjo Lakers head coach after #Canucks prospect Elias Petersson after he broke Kent Nilsson's 42 year old record for highest scoring U20 player

'We have not taught him anything about the game of hockey, he is teaching us.'

I expect nothing less than a few fans that lack a eye for high end talent being skeptical just like Sweden's WC coach was. Sweden had planned to not even invite Elias to the show, That in turn set off CDC with comments like "Well if their hockey people see he is not ready why can't CDC see it" LOL Then Elias has an unbelievable play-off run being named 18 year old of the men's league MVP. Fans cry for Sweden to take note. Sweden INVITES ELIAS Then Elias has a slap shot contest ,yeh a little underweight slim teenager could wrip slaps effortlessly and almost wins it. And not with a slap shot that would pale by NHL standards, a shot that would blow by any goalie in the world, (just a teenager maybe 19 now, not sure). Second unit power play controls puck and scores for Sweden when the first unit couldn't . Elias looks like a player that Sweden could run their play through, Unlike the Junior competition with Sweden in disarray and all trying to prove they we're as good or better than Elias Oh well Silver isn't bad, you can chaulk that up to coaching.

What we can expect from Elias. I went back looking at many of the greats who we're drafted and played great careers. Many started out at close to .7 pts per game and carried that average over their career's. With the weapons Elias has and the way he see's the ice, the NHL is getting a type of player that has been absent since 1999. A player who can score with the best of them and pass like no other. I would not be surprised if Elias hits the 80 point platue, but 70 for sure. He isn't going to be adjusting very long, And because of the power play he will still get points while adjusting. If he gets points 5 on 5, Then look out. because Elias hwill be the best point producer in hockey it remains to be seen if a player in his prime can crack 150' If it can be done Elias is the guy going to do it. If it can't be done I could see 120 again. Elias will get points that only Elias could get. Just go back to his highlight goals. And for highlight goals their are a tonne. Yu would think you were watching a career highlight package, but only 2017\18

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, tas said:

do you really think this is ever the case? no gm in history has ever waived a player with a realistic possibility of being claimed without first exploring the trade market. that's day one stuff, man. 

And yet Grabner was waived by Florida shortly after acquiring him and boom 52 point season and good career.  

It happens that they make a mistake.  Just not often.  

2 hours ago, TGT68 said:

And yet Grabner was waived by Florida shortly after acquiring him and boom 52 point season and good career.  

obviously there was no trade interest in grabner, or no offers strong enough to convince florida not to take the risk of waiving him. I guarantee they explored all of their options before they waived him. 

4 hours ago, gurn said:

If they were lost for nothing, and they might have been lost for something, fans will care.

In this case they were, most likely, lost for nothing because nobody would give them anything.

3 hours ago, tas said:

do you really think this is ever the case? no gm in history has ever waived a player with a realistic possibility of being claimed without first exploring the trade market. that's day one stuff, man. 

5 hours ago, tas said:

obviously there was no trade interest in grabner, or no offers strong enough to convince florida not to take the risk of waiving him. I guarantee they explored all of their options before they waived him. 

I thought that they didn’t waive him, that they’d made some sort of mistake or something. I looked it up and I guess they just thought they could sneak him through. I found out at the same time that the first we gave up in that same trade (for Ballard!) could have landed us Kuznetsov- coulda, shoulda, woulda...

How would you think a Dahlen-Sutter-Pettersson line would look? I've always loved duels and last year Horvat and Boeser have been developing very nicely together. Dahlen and Pettersson have a history together and Sutter can play mentor until Pettersson developes into a center.

Edited by smokes

1 hour ago, smokes said:

How would you think a Dahlen-Sutter-Pettersson line would look? I've always loved duels and last year Horvat and Boeser have been developing very nicely together. Dahlen and Pettersson have a history together and Sutter can play mentor until Pettersson developes into a center.

Sutter is going to be deployed heavily in defensive situations. Pretty sure Pettersson can handle that? Not sure its the best use of his deployment, nor Dahlen who I would at least question if we did not have a better defensive forward...

Benning suggested EP would probably start on the wing.  And he's too talented to bury deeper in the line up.

I'd bank on to start the year; Pettersson / Horvat / Boeser

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Sutter is going to be deployed heavily in defensive situations. Pretty sure Pettersson can handle that? Not sure its the best use of his deployment, nor Dahlen who I would at least question if we did not have a better defensive forward...

Benning suggested EP would probably start on the wing.  And he's too talented to bury deeper in the line up.

I'd bank on to start the year; Pettersson / Horvat / Boeser

I'd worry that if the Canucks put that deployment then they will become a one line team with not much after that. Second line would consist of Baertchi/Goldobin/Dahlen not deep. With Henrik gone Sutter needs to be put up to second line unless there is a trade or they sign Tavares.

3 minutes ago, smokes said:

I'd worry that if the Canucks put that deployment then they will become a one line team with not much after that. Second line would consist of Baertchi/Goldobin/Dahlen not deep. With Henrik gone Sutter needs to be put up to second line unless there is a trade or they sign Tavares.

Look?

There would be some good reasons for what you suggest. Not letting a Hodgson calibre of defensive effort creep into their game, have them learn good habits early comes to mind! But it is also a lot to ask them to pair with Sutter. Match Radulov / Seguin / Benn one game, Rakell, / Getzlaf / Perry the next. Win a D zone face off, navigate up ice and create scores,  I just don't see us tasking them with the biggest, strongest & best match up challenges there are. Ovechkin, Crosby? That's who Sutter plays against, Green like AV is a situational deployment coach.

Nor is Sutter going to be a match to two of our top 3 offensive young players?  Not sure he can match their puck skill.  I'd rather see them play Dahlen / Pettersson / Boeser. Group the offensive talents, and give them offensive minutes.  I'd LOVE to see a 3rd line of Pettersson / Gaudette / Ericsson. LE was once a depth Selke nominee with Dallas & has speed, and more than one 30 goal season under his belt.  Green would have offensive & defensive match ups he could pick on playing them together.

14 hours ago, TGT68 said:

Pretty sure I can recall feedback that even Grabner himself looked back & thought he should have been cut. It was not so much a mistake? As an eye opener to which Grabner finally responded.

The NHL is full of guys who rescue & even create careers by taking it more seriously. In a case like Malhotra, or Travis Green in a more topical answer? By learning to play a defensive game or new role. Which was foreign to that player up till that point. As they had always been elite top scorers & funny enough there were now guys better at it than them? Or like Grabner, and Green, and Jake, and Kassian, and Bertuzzi, and even the Twins?  Guys that just had to get in better shape, train & practice to either just make it, or in the case of the Twins achieve their potential.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Look?

There would be some good reasons for what you suggest. Not letting a Hodgson calibre of defensive effort creep into their game, have them learn good habits early comes to mind! But it is also a lot to ask them to pair with Sutter. Match Radulov / Seguin / Benn one game, Rakell, / Getzlaf / Perry the next. Win a D zone face off, navigate up ice and create scores,  I just don't see us tasking them with the biggest, strongest & best match up challenges there are. Ovechkin, Crosby? That's who Sutter plays against, Green like AV is a situational deployment coach.

Nor is Sutter going to be a match to two of our top 3 offensive young players?  Not sure he can match their puck skill.  I'd rather see them play Dahlen / Pettersson / Boeser. Group the offensive talents, and give them offensive minutes.  I'd LOVE to see a 3rd line of Pettersson / Gaudette / Ericsson. LE was once a depth Selke nominee with Dallas & has speed, and more than one 30 goal season under his belt.  Green would have offensive & defensive match ups he could pick on playing them together.

My main deal is not to do with Sutter but to combine Pettersson and Dahlen and make them into a duo. From the things I have seen from Dahlen, he is going to make the team. Rolling with two offensive lines featuring Horvat and Boeser on one while Pettersson and Dahlen on the other. I know it was a year ago but those two had such great chemistry together. If that can be harnessed, the Canucks can have something special.