The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

While I agree we should temper our expectations a bit, you need to remember that Pettersson annihilated the SHL. He didn't just have a "decent" or "pretty good" year, he made that league his bitch! He was way better than the Sedins were in the SHL. He broke Forsberg's rookie record, as well as Kent Nilsson's record that had stood for over 40 years. There is definitely reasons to be excited for him.

I am excited for sure but also think he will need a season or three to find his way.   I see great things for the kid but not right away.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am excited for sure but also think he will need a season or three to find his way.   I see great things for the kid but not right away.

The bottom line is: we don’t know. 

Look at Barzal. His ability to skate and make plays in traffic led to a very succesful campaign. But on the other hand, the Sedins started slow and needed years to develop their game. We just don’t know.... but one thing seems certain, the league has never been so well suited for young, light, fast and skilled players to pay immediate dividends.  

I’m remaining cautiously optimistic! 

• Upvote 1

Someone recently said that Pettersson is not McDavid. Well yes, McDavid has talents that EP doesn't have. He's bigger and skates faster and accelerates quicker than just about anyone and his ability to create separation with his skating gets him space and time that results in points others wouldn't get and EP won't get.

But EP has talents McDavid doesn't have. He seems to be more maneuverable in tight and  even though McDavid processes the game quickly I think EP processes it even quicker. Ep's hockey IQ seems about as good as I have seen and his awareness in all zones seems better than McDavid. And he plays with a tenacity all over the ice that I don't see in the other guy. Then there is his shot and sense of when and how to use it where he is better.

So EP will get his points his own way. Of course the caveat is that he hasn't done anything yet at the NHL level. True, but he has also been playing at a higher level than McDavid prior to coming into the NHL. Some guys when they come into the league are swamped by the higher level of play and sink. I think EP has the type of talent that will benefit from playing alongside more skill and pace as it will augment his own extraordinary abilities. I'm guessing that he will do more than just fine.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Psycho_Path said:

I dunno. I think Eriksson really could be a good fit for Petterson. Sutter maybe not so much. He generally creates his points on his own.

I agree. Not to mention that Sutter generally plays against the opposition's best players, so playing on his line would certainly not be sheltering EP or easing him into the league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, old guy said:

Someone recently said that Pettersson is not McDavid. Well yes, McDavid has talents that EP doesn't have. He's bigger and skates faster and accelerates quicker than just about anyone and his ability to create separation with his skating gets him space and time that results in points others wouldn't get and EP won't get.

But EP has talents McDavid doesn't have. He seems to be more maneuverable in tight and  even though McDavid processes the game quickly I think EP processes it even quicker. Ep's hockey IQ seems about as good as I have seen and his awareness in all zones seems better than McDavid. And he plays with a tenacity all over the ice that I don't see in the other guy. Then there is his shot and sense of when and how to use it where he is better.

So EP will get his points his own way. Of course the caveat is that he hasn't done anything yet at the NHL level. True, but he has also been playing at a higher level than McDavid prior to coming into the NHL. Some guys when they come into the league are swamped by the higher level of play and sink. I think EP has the type of talent that will benefit from playing alongside more skill and pace as it will augment his own extraordinary abilities. I'm guessing that he will do more than just fine.

Wtf am I reading?

McDavid is the best hockey player in the WORLD.  Why are you comparing Elias Pettersson to the back to back Art Ross winner?

Elias is going to have a great career of his own,  but come on dude.  That post is just so delusional if you think Elias has played at a higher level than Mcdavid prior to NHL play.  Keep in mind Mcdavid played immediately after being drafted and put up over PPG numbers.

Legit one of the most bizarre posts ive ever read.  Says Elias processes the game at a higher level than  Connor ****ing McDavid 

tenor.gif?itemid=7506930

Edited by CanuckGAME
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, old guy said:

This is a rather interesting post. McDavid came into the league immediately. So playing in a lesser league prior to being drafted is a pretty moot point. McDavid was on pace to break 82+ points his first year. Followed that up with a 100 point season. And improved upon that with 108 points this season on a bum team. Probably not the best idea to compare EP to McJesus. But who knows, sky is the limit for Pettersson. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanuckGAME said:

Wtf am I reading?

McDavid is the best hockey player in the WORLD.  Why are you comparing Elias Pettersson to the back to back Art Ross winner?

Elias is going to have a great career of his own,  but come on dude.  That post is just so delusional if you think Elias has played at a higher level than Mcdavid prior to NHL play.  Keep in mind Mcdavid played immediately after being drafted and put up over PPG numbers.

Legit one of the most bizarre posts ive ever read.  Says Elias processes the game at a higher level than  Connor ****ing McDavid 

tenor.gif?itemid=7506930

What Championships has McDavid led his teams to?  

EP is a proven winner.  Even on the sidelines injured, he still led his team to victory!  

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

This is a rather interesting post. McDavid came into the league immediately. So playing in a lesser league prior to being drafted is a pretty moot point. McDavid was on pace to break 82+ points his first year. Followed that up with a 100 point season. And improved upon that with 108 points this season on a bum team. Probably not the best idea to compare EP to McJesus. But who knows, sky is the limit for Pettersson. 

1+

I believe he'll make the time out of training camp.  If he doesn't get hurt... I think he'll end up being a better version of a Marner type of guy.  Elite creativity and seeing the ice.  Slowing or speeding up game tempo by himself.  And have a lethal shot. This will be fun.  It may take some time... but I don't think long.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

EP is a proven winner.  Even on the sidelines injured, he still led his team to victory!  

One man does not a team make, but if you have to know McDavid won a U18 WJC gold medal, a U20 WJC gold medal, and a WC gold medal. 

I'm excited for EP but our fan base has the tendency to overhype a prospect then crap all over them if they don't meet the ridiculous expectations (see Cole Cassels and even Jake Virtanen as recent examples). I would not be surprised if EP gets 60+ points next year, but that shouldn't be the expectation. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Full credit to the “reasonable expectations” crowd but if Elias putts along to a 35-40 point season the fan base will need to be talked back from the ledge.  People will be (are) expecting Boeser-like success.

Typing this out to kind of remind myself, for what it’s worth.

I'm hoping for unreasonable results (much like we got from Boeser), but I'll be fully content if Pettersson scores 35-40 (just as I would have with Boeser)

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Full credit to the “reasonable expectations” crowd but if Elias putts along to a 35-40 point season the fan base will need to be talked back from the ledge.  People will be (are) expecting Boeser-like success.

Typing this out to kind of remind myself, for what it’s worth.

To be fair, it was more my base line for what I'd consider 'good enough' or an 'ok' season. Much less than that and he's likely back in Utica/Sweden. 

I 'expect' he'll exceed my conservative base line ;)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Rodishred said:

1+

I believe he'll make the time out of training camp.  If he doesn't get hurt... I think he'll end up being a better version of a Marner type of guy.  Elite creativity and seeing the ice.  Slowing or speeding up game tempo by himself.  And have a lethal shot. This will be fun.  It may take some time... but I don't think long.

though I think he will eventually far exceed Marner, that's actually a decent comparison of the type of player he might be

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Its actually sad that youre trying to form an argument for Elias being on McDavids level.

I love Pettersson,  stoked hes a Canuck.  But talk to me when he does this.

636336848610072050-USP-NHL-NHL-AWARDS-AN

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Oh Alf.... Come on and do a little research lol.

• Haha 1

I think EP is not like Mcdavid at all.  My comparables for him have been he is Gretzky lite or Kent Nilsson like.  Talented tall lanky guy.  Neither of those comparables ever made a playing weight of 200.  But both were 100 point plus players in the 80's. Wayne got better results from similar talent and probably a higher hockey IQ.  But it is harder to score now and despite the fact EP will dangle, dazzle, and amaze like those two did we will see how many points and trophies that means.  I really think EP surpasses Boeser and Bo sooner rather than later.  And makes those around him better than McJesus does his teammates.  

Edited by TGT68
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Its actually sad that youre trying to form an argument for Elias being on McDavids level.

Not to take anything away from McDavid, he's obviously IMMENSELY talented and in particular, can do things with the puck, at incredible speed/shifting speed that are awe inspiring. His hockey skills: skating, (speed/agility/ability to change pace etc), puck skills and athleticism are off the charts

But I think one could make a case that EP (at least at the levels we've seen him play at thus far), might have better vision/IQ (and at least in the ball park puck skills...albeit at lower speed). Time will tell if that shakes out at the NHL level as MCD's skill set clearly has for him. 

Now that won't necessarily equate to EP40 being a 'better' hockey player (they have quite clearly different assets/abilities) and EP will likely never have CMD's beyond elite speed/skating abilities. But it's certainly nothing to down play. Be excited to see if he can make those things translate and put himself even in that discussion, even if not the 'decided winner' of that particular argument ;) 

9 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

I think EP is not like Mcdavid at all.  My comparables for him have been he is Gretzky lite or Kent Nilsson like.  Talented tall lanky guy.  Neither of those comparables ever made a playing weight of 200.  But both were 100 point plus players in the 80's. Wayne got better results from similar talent and probably a higher hockey IQ.  But it is harder to score now and despite the fact EP will dangle, dazzle, and amaze like those two did we will see how many points and trophies that means.  I really think EP surpasses Boeser and Bo sooner rather than later.  And makes those around him better than McJesus does his teammates.  

This is so VERY TRUE!!!

EP is better than McDavid, and will soon prove it by leading our Canucks to Cups!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Does what? Reflect light off his forehead:P

• Haha 2