The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

anyone that can juggle and ride a unicycle shouldn't have a limit placed on them. 

maybe the canucks should offer a pto to the guy who does that for change on granville island. his unicycle is 8 feet tall, even, so he's probably got mcdavid potential. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yeah I'd say that's likely where the threshold lies...somewhere in the low 40% region. So long as he's able to be at/above that, IMO he's fine. We'll see how he does (or perhaps more importantly, how he trends) over camp :) 

Yep. Jack eichel for example has been at bottom of the league since coming into it . Their are lots of great centres that suck in the circle . U dont make the choice to not play a guy at that position soly based on faceoff wins . He was 40.9% in his rookie year ( the second worst in the league), 38.9% the next season , and 41% last year which was also where mcdavids finished. Logan couture is another guy that has finished below 40% ( second worst percentage in the league that year). Barzel won the calder with the 5th worst last year 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Yep. Jack eichel for example has been at bottom of the league since coming into it . Their are lots of great centres that suck in the circle . U dont make the choice to not play a guy at that position soly based on faceoff wins . He was 40.9% in his rookie year ( the second worst in the league), 38.9% the next season , and 41% last year which was also where mcdavids finished. Logan couture is another guy that has finished below 40% ( second worst percentage in the league that year). 

And we also have Horvat to play quasi-1C (and the match ups etc that entails) until Pettersson is more ready for that role, where most of those guys have seen 1C match ups from day one.

Not to mention two excellent face off C's in Sutter/Beagle to support him (and likely one of the best face off coaches in the league in Malholtra).

So long as he's passable, I don't overly see it as a concern.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And we also have Horvat to play quasi-1C (and the match ups etc that entails) until Pettersson is more ready for that role, where most of those guys have seen 1C match ups from day one.

Not to mention two excellent face off C's in Sutter/Beagle to support him (and likely one of the best face off coaches in the league in Malholtra).

Yep. He is the type that will improve for sure,  just like he improved his shot . 

13 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Nasim kadri , Dylan Larkin , Henrik zetterberg,  Henrik Sedin . 

What do they all have in common ? Were not , or are not great faceoff centres.  

Hank was 46% last year for god sakes . It is a huge plus to be great at it , but there is allot more to it then just that . Jack eichel and Connor Mcdavid were 99 and 98 in the league in that department respectively.  Both 41 % 

46%  for god sakes?

If EP can do that in the NHL I don't think anyone would be saying for god sakes about him

I think the point being mentioned 

Is that he isn't even 40% against far lesser opponents

If his 1% (+-)  against a weak Jets prospect team is an indication , he will be nowhere near 40% in the NHL against the worlds Best !

He did great as a winger last year and was put there for a reason by his coach, knowing he wanted to be a centre

He hasn't shown that he has improved that skill of his game since

I am sure his coach saw that, and figured his skill was best used having possession of the puck, instead of spending the shift chasing after it?

What is wrong letting him play where he is best suited, until if/when he improves that?

23 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

46%  for god sakes?

If EP can do that in the NHL I don't think anyone would be saying for god sakes about him

I think the point being mentioned 

Is that he isn't even 40% against far lesser opponents

If his 1% (+-)  against a weak Jets prospect team is an indication , he will be nowhere near 40% in the NHL against the worlds Best !

He did great as a winger last year and was put there for a reason by his coach, knowing he wanted to be a centre

He hasn't shown that he has improved that skill of his game since

I am sure his coach saw that, and figured his skill was best used having possession of the puck, instead of spending the shift chasing after it?

What is wrong letting him play where he is best suited, until if/when he improves that?

And what is wrong with seeing how he does in training camp and having his coach and GM decide from that what the best course of action is?  

I can tell you that I certainly don't want you making the decision.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Which is why I don't see the need or reason to trade Sutter, just because the Canucks picked up Beagle. Let these guys mentor the kids, Bo, Gaudette, Elias, and any other kid coming up through the ranks. Bo's game in the dot has improved immensely since his rookie season, no reason to believe that Gaudette and Elias can be similar centers, although I think the tank type centers seem to be better at it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

Which is why I don't see the need or reason to trade Sutter, just because the Canucks picked up Beagle. Let these guys mentor the kids, Bo, Gaudette, Elias, and any other kid coming up through the ranks. Bo's game in the dot has improved immensely since his rookie season, no reason to believe that Gaudette and Elias can be similar centers, although I think the tank type centers seem to be better at it.

Me either. In another year or two once the kids are more established? Sure.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Me either. In another year or two once the kids are more established? Sure.

As well as you, I think we might be the only two that think along these lines. The only thing, Sutter is younger, and more offense in his game than Beagle, so does this make any sense at all to move Sutter?

Edited by johngould21

Just now, johngould21 said:

As well as you, I think we might be the only two that think along these lines. The only thing, Sutter is younger, and more offense in his game than Beagle, so does this make any sense at all to move Sutter.

Those things also translate to higher trade value ;)

In 19/20 or 20/21 in the 2nd to last or last year of his contract, assuming Pettersson and Gaudette (and possibly more) have progressed as hoped, I think we could afford to move on from Sutter at that point.

There's only so much ice time to go around and if we've got kids squeezing him out and can leverage him for his higher trade value, have at it I say.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Those things also translate to higher trade value ;)

In 19/20 or 20/21 in the 2nd to last or last year of his contract, assuming Pettersson and Gaudette (and possibly more) have progressed as hoped, I think we could afford to move on from Sutter at that point.

There's only so much ice time to go around and if we've got kids squeezing him out and can leverage him for his higher trade value, have at it I say.

Yeah, but by then this team could be on the cusp of something, and having that experience and all the intangibles that the Sutter name represents, he could be the difference maker. If any of these young guys do though show that they can replace or squeeze him out....OK. I'm glad we're not making the decisions, besides, we make nothing showing off our GM experience.:o

3 hours ago, johngould21 said:

As well as you, I think we might be the only two that think along these lines. The only thing, Sutter is younger, and more offense in his game than Beagle, so does this make any sense at all to move Sutter?

Honestly think eventually Sutter stays and Beagle goes.