The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On ‎9‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 1:04 AM, stawns said:

Let's keep in mind that the Jets prospects weren't exactly the cream of the crop.  There's probably only a cpl plays who will ever even get a sniff at the NHL

Some call the SHL the 3rd best pro league in the world.  A few Swedes the 2knd. In any case EP absolutely chewed that league up.

SHL competition much more advanced than that less than that creamy Jets crop.

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Some call the SHL the 3rd best pro league in the world.  A few Swedes the 2knd. In any case EP absolutely chewed that league up.

SHL competition much more advanced than that less than that creamy Jets crop.

Agreed

15 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Good to see that Travis is going to make sure that Elias needs to show he can be effective defensively in his own zone on the smaller ice surface and at an NHL level of compete. Elias seems to be the type of player that rises up to a challenge so it will be interesting in main camp and preseason as to how he responds.

I wonder how much the duos concept is going to be prevalent in the new age of Canucks.  

do we have the new swedish duo? 

do we build a line for years out of bo and brock? 

we have gads and palmu.  

who pairs up with hockey gaud?

6 hours ago, TGT68 said:

I wonder how much the duos concept is going to be prevalent in the new age of Canucks.  

we have gads and palmu.  

Lind, of course. Boom.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SergioMomesso said:

Who lines up with Jack next year?

I say if we get Jack or someone comparable he goes between Dahlen and Petterssen.  

Leaves a Bo Brock second line 

a Gaudette based third

a Sutter based 4th.  

Don't need Beagle and Petterssen is first replacement for the top 6 centers.  

20 hours ago, TGT68 said:

we have gads and palmu.  

Not sure Dahlen makes the team (now) despite chemistry with EP. Yes to Bo and Brock. However, although Brock is our first-liner for the next 10 years, it’s possible Bo goes to second line if we get Hughes or if EP becomes the Center we hope he can.

4 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

Not sure Dahlen makes the team (now) despite chemistry with EP. Yes to Bo and Brock. However, although Brock is our first-liner for the next 10 years, it’s possible Bo goes to second line if we get Hughes or if EP becomes the Center we hope he can.

I hope Bo and Brock both get pushed to the second line.  If that happens.....how good are we with a first line of three players better than Bo and Brock and a 1B line of them and the next best LW?

On 2018-09-11 at 5:10 PM, TGT68 said:

Honestly think eventually Sutter stays and Beagle goes.  

I think Beagle stays, because of the cap hit - not really tradeable, but Sutter is very tradeable, and if Gaudette pays out, in a year or too, Sutter could get traded.  He is still a valuable piece for a contending team, but not so much for us if he is standing in the way of a rebuild.  Sad, in a way, I like Sutter, he has great character and brings it every game.  But also, he might be at the wrong stage for Vancouver - it might still be a few more years until we are a serious contender, and Sutter is 29 - he needs to be on a contender in the next year or two, and probably deserves that opportunity.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

I hope Bo and Brock both get pushed to the second line.  If that happens.....how good are we with a first line of three players better than Bo and Brock and a 1B line of them and the next best LW?

*Unlikely to maintain that after they're off their ELC's sadly.

20 hours ago, cory40 said:

If you want to Gage the SHL to the AHL just look at Dahlen. One league below the SHL and stepped into the AHL with out missing a beat like he belonged their. And the fact he was on smaller ice says a lot. Elias Pettersson will step right in and look good. The Winnipeg prospects In Penticton were a big fast team. I am saying EP will have more time when he gets to the big show because players can pass alot better. Elias thinks  and processes the game so fast, he will be given extra space once he burns a few defenders who close in on his space too fast. I am still saying 8 pts in his first 10 games. He passes better than any prospect that I have seen in Penticton since it began what 4 or 5 years ago. He can struggle and still find open guys. That shot on the power play will be so dangerous for the simple reason; if the goalie over commits on the the shot. Its going right back to Brock. You can add points to the back end just because of the way Elias plays the game. At least 3 or 4 times a game he is back playing defense and shooting pucks up the zone allowing defensemen to be creative. Now I have played lots of defense, and when you gamble and the forwards don't cover its usually a mess. I can't see that with EP he is aware of that like no other. He is not only a great shot . The Swedes had him quarterbacking the powerplay. Now I have watched McDavid from Penticton on and he is fast. But he is not a all world passer when he is not moving. And to me that's why Edmonton struggled on the power play. Elias is all world when it comes to passing. laine from WPG let a shot go in Penticton as a rookie that missed the net and had the whole crowd gasp. Well EP took the same shot and picked the top corner and you guessed it the whole crowd gasped. With the exception of Brock (and I have yet to see a one timer of the caliber EP took on the power play) we have not had a one timer option like that since Pavel Bure. EP just puts it high and near the post like clock work. Over the years I have seen one timers fly but seldom hit the same spot twice. Just watch EP's highlights, the goalies know and expect the shot to be placed glove side. they come across protecting their glove side,well we get to see soon...………..

What is your point? Or better said, why are you commenting in response to my post about the SHL...

That you are excited about Pettersson? Plus Dahlen & the other prospects?  Well, me too, I'm excited in a big way!  I also like your analysis of McDavid & their PP. How its suffers because his points are based om speed. Not the passing and shot we will witness with EP.

Or is it to gauge the AHL?  Dahlen only played 2 games.  Not enough to ''gauge'' whether he stepped right in.  Jasek, with some extra games, well he seemed to? But I was just commenting that the SHL, where EP dominated, is a world class pro league. I was responding to a post that made mention to temper expectations because EP had not done it in the NHL yet.  I was, like you, very excited because it was not 109 points in the OHL, it was a generations old record performance by EP in one of the worlds best pro leagues. 

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

What is your point? Or better said, why are you commenting in response to my post about the SHL...

That you are excited about Pettersson? Plus Dahlen & the other prospects?  Well, me too, I'm excited in a big way!  I also like your analysis of McDavid & their PP. How its suffers because his points are based om speed. Not the passing and shot we will witness with EP.

Or is it to gauge the AHL?  Dahlen only played 2 games.  Not enough to ''gauge'' whether he stepped right in.  Jasek, with some extra games, well he seemed to? But I was just commenting that the SHL, where EP dominated, is a world class pro league. I was responding to a post that made mention to temper expectations because EP had not done it in the NHL yet.  I was, like you, very excited because it was not 109 points in the OHL, it was a generations old record performance by EP in one of the worlds best pro leagues. 

sorry for commenting on your post