The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

22 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Without a doubt... this will be one of the adjustments he'll have to learn...how to get out of a tight squeeze and not get hit.

But I have zero doubt he will be able to just to that.

It was very impressive, how he came in an immediately started to run the PP. He looked like he belonged right away. He will have a strong season...zero doubt about that.

It was like looking at Sedin at the half wall, with the added bonus of a wicked wrister... Brock is gonna love having Pettersson around.

The crispness of his passing seemed to take even his teammates by surprise...

Its hard not to be excited. Not worried about how this season goes, just watching Brock and Pettersson + a few others making their entrees into the team is going to be worth all of it.

His coach in the SHL said that other teams tried to play EP on the physical side and it upped EP's compete level. EP has been a target for two years by guys twice his size. he earned his nickname Alien by his hockey sense. 

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

If EP has  slow start it wont be because he is adjusting.  His play last night shows his slow starts are because he teammates are surprised by what he does and THEY need to adjust to keep up.  

Happiest guy in Van City at the moment is Travis Green. He must be just giddy with what he sees coming up. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, cory40 said:

His coach in the SHL said that other teams tried to play EP on the physical side and it upped EP's compete level. EP has been a target for two years by guys twice his size. he earned his nickname Alien by his hockey sense. 

I'm pretty sure that the nickname "Alien" also comes from the fact that his name "Elias" sounds pretty much the same when pronounced in Swedish, and the fact that he kinda looks like an alien sometimes.  But yes, I'm sure there is also an aspect of him "being out of this world" to it.

Just now, Saved_by_Jesus said:

I'm pretty sure that the nickname "Alien" also comes from the fact that his name "Elias" sounds pretty much the same when pronounced in Swedish, and the fact that he kinda looks like an alien sometimes.  But yes, I'm sure there is also an aspect of him "being out of this world" to it.

According to his team mates it is his nickname because he does things out of this world on the ice. And if I just watched the last month I would agree. but add in the SHL last year where he was the leagues best player and you have your answer. If he was a decent prospect sure I would thumbs up this comment. But EP is going to be out of this world talented. As I have been saying since we drafted him.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, cory40 said:

According to his team mates it is his nickname because he does things out of this world on the ice. And if I just watched the last month I would agree. but add in the SHL last year where he was the leagues best player and you have your answer. If he was a decent prospect sure I would thumbs up this comment. But EP is going to be out of this world talented. As I have been saying since we drafted him.

Ok Cory... be honest... Are you Elias Pettersson dad? :lol:

• Upvote 1

Just now, spook007 said:

Ok Cory... be honest... Are you Elias Pettersson dad? :lol:

LOL. I have just never been this excited since watching Pavel Bure's first game. I just am so confident EP becomes the best player Points per game, I think my wife is worried that my ticker could take a let down. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, cory40 said:

LOL. I have just never been this excited since watching Pavel Bure's first game. I just am so confident EP becomes the best player Points per game, I think my wife is worried that my ticker could take a let down. 

Cheers buddy :)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

One of if not the most talented player on the team now. That said, i think he needs to put on a bit of weight before he gets on full time. It may not be the popular decision but I wouldnt be surprised if he is sent down for this season, maybe playing the 9 games allowed. 

Yeh like that's going to happen. Imagine if you ran the team how quickly you would be fired.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, cory40 said:

"Official" explanation: alien = he is out of this world good

Real explanation: alien = rookie getting (amicably) teased by his teammates.

Let's be honest, no rookie gets a nickname from his teammates that is actually flattering.  But they will certainly give a flattering explanation to outsiders who ask about it.

14 minutes ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

"Official" explanation: alien = he is out of this world good

Real explanation: alien = rookie getting (amicably) teased by his teammates.

Let's be honest, no rookie gets a nickname from his teammates that is actually flattering.  But they will certainly give a flattering explanation to outsiders who ask about it.

Lets be Honest. when you have a rookie leading the league and doing things others can't you give him an unreal nickname. I am sure Elias has had some unflattering nicknames. Not seeing alien as it though. But hey you can have your opinion. Being wrong is OK also I have been wrong many times. Just not on the Alien nickname. If you go to Twitter and go back following Canuckselias you will find the timeline for the nickname as followed with out of this world highlights.  

36 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

One of if not the most talented player on the team now. That said, i think he needs to put on a bit of weight before he gets on full time. It may not be the popular decision but I wouldnt be surprised if he is sent down for this season, maybe playing the 9 games allowed. 

lol okay buddy

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I don't think so. Petterson's weight is not what will make or break him making it in the NHL. His ability will, and once in regular season games with the full roster, he'll continue to improve and solidify his place on this team.

Soon enough this thread will be moved from Prospects to Current Roster, and won't be moved back.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rekker said:

OMG. Listening to NHL Network and the EP love is there folks! They never have Canuck love. He is turning heads already. 

Yup, it'll spread like wildfire the more clips like this come out.  Faster even than with Boeser last year.  Suddenly the tide will turn from mockery to a closer look at our burgeoning roster and, "Oh wow, look at what's happening with the Canucks..."

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I know its one game, but i have no doubt in my mind that this guy is going to be a superstar. He's the total package. Skill, demeanor, Way more room to grow in to his body. Shot. Quick learner. There were points last night where it looked like Henrik controlling from the half wall, but thats if Henrik had a cannon shot and crazy dekes. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, TGT68 said:

I hope we get Pettersson playing with someone who can bury those breakaways and setups a little more than Goldie and Baer did last night.  Kid should of had 5 assists.  

And that power play is gonna be gold when you open it up with Boeser on the left wall.  EP dishes like Hank and shoots like Boeser.  OJ up top and Bo down low the fifth body wont much matter.  

That’s why I think the Canucks ultimate plan is for EP to center Brock Boeser with either Dahlen or Goldobin.  Horvat and Baer will be a great second line for many years.  Then you have Gaudette and Virtanen with Leipsic as a solid 3rd line.  The future is now. 

• Upvote 3