Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

28 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Matheson got schooled by an elite rookie, and I'm sure Sunday morning he was regretting what he did, very much. I don't see him as that type of player.

And yet, here we are.  This was clearly retribution.  Matheson was having a terrible game and had already been schooled numerous times.  He might not be that type of player but it remains to be seen what response by the league will deter him from being a repeat offender.

SMITHERS JOE: what I said was not directed towards you, it was to someone else. I agreed with what you have been saying

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

don't know why, fans believe the players won't back up their players, just because, for some reason they didn't this one time. has anyone asked the players, why they didn't react. they deserve, at least that. to paint them all as useless because of one incidence, is very annoying. 

Well this "one time" happened to involve our 19 year old phenom, and this is "one time" this season...We watch the same garbage year after year,  players taking liberties on our  players knowing there will be no repercussion.  This is literally a classic example of why fighting is even in the game in the first place, to protect your superstar talent, especially if your superstar is still a damn kid.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Well this "one time" happened to involve our 19 year old phenom, and this is "one time" this season...We watch the same garbage year after year,  players taking liberties on our  players knowing there will be no repercussion.  This is literally a classic example of why fighting is even in the game in the first place, to protect your superstar talent, especially if your superstar is still a damn kid.

The dirty shot happened away from the play, so none of our players actually saw it live.  Should Guddy have chased Matheson around on their next shift together?  I don't see how we could have responded, considering no one saw what happened.  

Just now, Alflives said:

The dirty shot happened away from the play, so none of our players actually saw it live.  Should Guddy have chased Matheson around on their next shift together?  I don't see how we could have responded, considering no one saw what happened.  

People are using this excuse to defend the players but it's a garbage excuse.  They have I-pads on the bench, they all knew petterson got injured somehow they should of looked in to it.  Stop using this garbage excuse

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

BS they didn't see it, such a weak excuse from a gutless team. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

BS they didn't see it, such a weak excuse from a gutless team. 

Lol i know right, players watch there previous shifts all the time, if you see your teammate with his helmet wrapped sideways around his head..pull out your damn ipad

Edited by The 5th Line

like mentioned by the previous posts... this idea that nobody saw nobody knew until after the game is a flat out lie and just damage control by management because the media and fans are calling for heads to fly.  There were 15 minutes left in the third when EP was taken out. No one had a look at what happened in those 15 minutes? Your best player gets taken out and wobbles off the ice and out of the game and no one takes a look at what happened? YA RIGHT LOL 

Even if we were to believe this nonsense... it doesn't change the fact that they knew EP was hit hard enough to be taken out of the game, this should of elicited a response from the team to up their own physicality and at least start hitting and finishing their check on every shift of every play. Didn't have to be reckless retribution or a line brawl, but any self respecting team has to up their physicality when their best player gets taken out whether or not it's a clean or dirty play. 

Pure damage control, let's hope for the sake of our prospects that behind closed doors Green and the rest of the team got the real message. 

Edited by Kushman
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vicky said:

And yet, here we are.  This was clearly retribution.  Matheson was having a terrible game and had already been schooled numerous times.  He might not be that type of player but it remains to be seen what response by the league will deter him from being a repeat offender.

....and that's exactly what I said

At this point its pretty much "whats done is done".

However, I hope the team uses this situation to talk in the room about how they need to have each others backs moving forward and that they all buy into it.

I don't want to see our players speed bagged anymore. I just want some pushback. Hopefully they come together over this.

• Hydration 1

The crappy thing is that this unfortunately gives fuel to the "He's too small for the NHL crowd", despite the fact that it was an illegal take down that's likely going to be suspended. 

It's like saying "He's not tough enough for the NHL" after a player is punched in the back of the head and ends up with a concussion.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Kushman said:

like mentioned by the previous posts... this idea that nobody saw nobody knew until after the game is a flat out lie and just damage control by management because the media and fans are calling for heads to fly.  There were 15 minutes left in the third when EP was taken out. No one had a look at what happened in those 15 minutes? Your best player gets taken out and wobbles off the ice and out of the game and no one takes a look at what happened? YA RIGHT LOL 

Even if we were to believe this nonsense... it doesn't change the fact that they knew EP was hit hard enough to be taken out of the game, this should of elicited a response from the team to up their own physicality and at least start hitting and finishing their check on every shift of every play. Didn't have to be reckless retribution or a line brawl, but any self respecting team has to up their physicality when their best player gets taken out whether or not it's a clean or dirty play. 

Pure damage control, let's hope for the sake of our prospects that behind closed doors Green and the rest of the team got the real message. 

I don't know... the year when Domi took out Neidermeyer in the playoffs no one noticed until Stevens screamed his lungs out from the penalty box. 

Times were different back then, but it's not inconceivable that they truly didn't see it.

3 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

I don't know... the year when Domi took out Neidermeyer in the playoffs no one noticed until Stevens screamed his lungs out from the penalty box. 

Times were different back then, but it's not inconceivable that they truly didn't see it.

Back then technology isn't Like it is today. You see them checking almost every play on their tablet to see if it wss an offside or goalie interference or whatever the case may be... You think it's plausible that no one thought it worth while to check out what happened to EP with 15 minutes to go in the third?

Even Crosby is checking out the play he gets cheap shotted and thats with less than 4 minutes left 

I don't buy it for a second. The reference you make, absolutely. No one could check the instant replay from their bench like they can today

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Really?

So NO canuck players were watching our star at all,

No one heard on the ice from players on the bench or fans reaction?

I find that hard to believe

Players get confronted all the time on their very next shift even

You have never saw that before Alf?

We don't have to be a dirty team to respond, just go up and make sure you get the shot to his head

No one even talked to him or confronted him which I find disturbing

33 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The crappy thing is that this unfortunately gives fuel to the "He's too small for the NHL crowd", despite the fact that it was an illegal take down that's likely going to be suspended. 

It's like saying "He's not tough enough for the NHL" after a player is punched in the back of the head and ends up with a concussion.

I was/am/are concerned for his health always have been, always will be

He is a very skilled player no doubt

Here we are 5 games into his career and already one concussion

Are you not concerned?

He was not punched in the back of the head though,

Todays players are stronger and faster

I was worried as the season went on, and his adrenaline subsided some, that he would tire

When you tire, you take short cuts and are not as quick to respond,

That is just the fact of life

EP being a very skilled player will be the focus of teams, that will try to make him less effective

Lets hope this does not deter him from playing his game

Your priorities and concern seem misplaced with this post

The crappy thing as you stated is a minute point (silly one really)

The crappy thing is, that after 5 games EP already has a concussion

Hope get better EP

I know all about concussions 

I have had many and a coma from hockey and motocross

8 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's the thing for me....the highlighted part?   That's not a given, that's the best case  scenario.

Look, hockey's a tough game and if the hit was just that, no issues at all.  That's how it's played.   Get danced around by a guy a few times and sure, give him a good, solid check and let him know you didn't appreciate it.  But the throwdown resulted in a hit to the head on the ice. 

Concussions are brain injuries and just because they don't result in blood and obvious signs of their magnitude, they can be significant and linger.

Sometimes subtle, but enough to change someone's timing, decision making,  emotions, etc. 

If anything should hamper the way this kid plays the game, it's a crying shame.  If it was a targeted act of lashing out, it's unacceptable and stings that much more.  It's infectious to see how much he loves playing...this had better not change that.

The kid IS super competitive but it's unknown how this will play out.   Fiesty and competitive can't offset the symptoms of concussion if they settle in.  I'm thinking of the worst case scenario and that's what scares me.

We shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves, that's mostly my point here.  I won't celebrate that he's ok until I know...he's ok.  He'd better be.  He and his family don't deserve to have his talent undermined by a hack who couldn't control his emotions.  Watched the game again and Matheson was awful.  So now he's made a name for himself...for all the wrong reasons.  

For the record, I completely agree with you on concussions - before the report came out of him missing 7 - 10 days, I was highly skeptical that he would even have anything close to serious and that he would be on the ice on Tuesday. To me, him getting thrown around didn't look like it was going to harm him long term (don't get me wrong, I think the play was dirty and had intent and that Matheson should get some games). My guess is the extra missed games is a precautionary but also a hint to the league that it's time they protect their starts - both I'm ok with. 

20 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I was/am/are concerned for his health always have been, always will be

He is a very skilled player no doubt

Here we are 5 games into his career and already one concussion

Are you not concerned?

He was not punched in the back of the head though,

Todays players are stronger and faster

I was worried as the season went on, and his adrenaline subsided some, that he would tire

When you tire, you take short cuts and are not as quick to respond,

That is just the fact of life

EP being a very skilled player will be the focus of teams, that will try to make him less effective

Lets hope this does not deter him from playing his game

Your priorities and concern seem misplaced with this post

The crappy thing as you stated is a minute point (silly one really)

The crappy thing is, that after 5 games EP already has a concussion

Hope get better EP

I know all about concussions 

I have had many and a coma from hockey and motocross

So you're implying that I'm not worried about his health because I'm also annoyed that this is going to feed the idiotic narrative that he isn't "big enough" for the NHL?

The natural extension of your logic is that nobody should be playing in the NHL because, regardless of age/size/etc..., there will always be health concerns in the NHL.

I wonder how EP, with his 8 points in 5 games and his over 50% FO percentage, feels about that narrative.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot