The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

Do we really want on of our players winning the Lady Byng?  

Say what you will, but I still think it's a prestigious award to win. Not every player has to be a Roussel or Bertuzzi.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Say what you will, but I still think it's a prestigious award to win. Not every has to be a Roussel or Bertuzzi.

I wonder if any player in the league really wants to win a Lady Byng?  Did Datsiuk ever win one.  I think Larionov did.  I just don't know if they wanted the award, or were just super smart players, who produced, and didn't take penalties?  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if any player in the league really wants to win a Lady Byng?  Did Datsiuk ever win one.  I think Larionov did.  I just don't know if they wanted the award, or were just super smart players, who produced, and didn't take penalties?  

I don't think it's something people specifically strive for, but I doubt any of them are disappointed or embarrassed to win one. Back in the 70s, 80s, or 90s, I could see it with the old school mentality, but in today's game with it being more about skill, I would think it would be more appreciated than in those days.

Datsyuk won four Lady Byng trophies in a row. Gretzky holds the record with five in his career.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They really need to re-name that trophy.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

They really need to re-name that trophy.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jean Belliveau award?

Beliveau might actually be a good candidate, but there's actually quite a bit of history behind the name "Lady Byng", so I don't think it'd be renamed.