The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Still not expecting him until 2020.  Hoping he plays 1 more full year over there then a year in the AHL to acclimate.  Do not rush this kid

Well if he's putting up huge numbers in SHL, there's no reason not to have him in the ahl next year. Depending on his physical growth. 

Just now, Camel Toe Drag said:

Exactly. People get to hung up on the Detroit model. There's 30 other teams in the league who also manage amazing prospects. 

I think people are also hesitant after seeing Jake and Jared perhaps rushed a little.  I get that, I just think a lot of us are to the point of over compensating now.  If a prospect is ready let him play, if he needs more time let him marinate.  Pettersson could be a year out he could be a few years out, we'll find out!  

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Or just let him play when he's ready.....

This. 

As we're seeing right before our eyes, guys mature at different ages. If he's able to produce against the best in the world and live to tell the tale, he'll be ready. 

I predict he comes to camp next year and he gets a long look, but will end up back in the SEL for one last year. 

2 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

I think people are also hesitant after seeing Jake and Jared perhaps rushed a little.  I get that, I just think a lot of us are to the point of over compensating now.  If a prospect is ready let him play, if he needs more time let him marinate.  Pettersson could be a year out he could be a few years out, we'll find out!  

Yup, there's no cookie-cutter or one-size-fits-all development program.

10 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

In 3 SHL games Pettersson has 3 points (0G + 3A)

In 4 Champions League games Pettersson has 4 points (2G + 2A)

Small sample size, but in 7 games in top-tier men's professional leagues Pettersson is scoring at a point-per-game pace wth 2 goals and 5 assists.

If nothing else its a great start. Lets hope it carries on.

Edited by spook007

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Didn't listen, so I'm exposing myself to looking like an absolute moron here if I'm wrong. However, I'm guessing they're saying Pettersson could press for a spot with the big team next year. IMO there's no way he should even get a sniff of the NHL until AT LEAST one year in Utica, if not two. This kid, more than any of our other prospects, will need time to physically mature. Never mind how much weight he puts on, all gain in strength must be accompanied by development of coordination, skating, etc. He will also benefit greatly from LOTS of time on the smaller ice, playing with his future linemates potentially.

• Upvote 1