The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Well, it's your problem. I primarly see the interviews regarding swedes. So I know more about those.

Is it customary in Sweden to not return your bosses' calls if you’re having a hissy fit?

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Is it customary in Sweden to not return your bosses calls if you’re having a hissy fit?

When we're on vacation we're on vacation. We can go to a cottage without our mobile phones just to relax with our families. 

Wich is one reason Benning should have put some ice on the situation. 

I just call Benning stupid when he talks like he did with the journalist, stupid and weak. Benning can't handle journalists, fans or players from another culture than maybe canadian. 

Benning is paid to handle every conflict/situation. Not just scouting/contracts... 

• Wat 4

This thread was going along so nicely, what with all the lovely stories/photos/videos of Pete's big day and now you lugs have to come along and pollute it with Eriksson crap.  Please move your love/hate posts over to the LE thread.  It has no business here.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see what happens to Petey in his 2nd year in the NHL. Will he continue to improve on a dominant 1st year? Or will he hit the dreaded sophomore slump?

There is what some of the other premiere young players did with respect to points per game (PPG):

Barzal

1st year: 1.04

2nd year: .76

Point

1st year: .59

2nd year: .80

M. Tkachuk

1st year: .63

2nd year: .72

Meier

1st year: .44 

2nd year: .85

Pastrnak

1st year:  .93

2nd year: .98

Eichel

1st year: .69

2nd year: .93

Debrincat

1st year: .63

2nd year:  .93

Petey

1st year: .93

2nd year: ??

Both Point and Pastrnak has explosive 3rd years really raising their ppg.

Barzal had a higher ppg in his rookie year than Petey did but then he came back down to earth a bit in his 2nd year.

Only Barzal and Pastrnak did as well as Petey or better in their 1st year. Of those two only Pastrnak had a better 2nd year ppg wise.

I hope Petey comes back with a vengeance this coming year. One factor in how this develops could be whether TJ Miller ends up playing most of the year with Petey and Boeser. If he does, that could positively affect Petey.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:11 PM, TNucks1 said:

Dahlin was salty.

Definitely! Although, maybe not as salty as Vasilevskiy was when Keenan Thompson made a joke about TB getting swept in the first round lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Definitely! Although, maybe not as salty as Vasilevskiy was when Keenan Thompson made a joke about TB getting swept in the first round lol

lol That was such a terrible awards ceremony in terms of presentation.

Wow, I'm such a downer today. I hate everyone! RAGE!

5 hours ago, khay said:

Timo Meier's production sticks out to me. He has become a PWF. When the Sharks drafted him 9th overall after mere 91 points in QMJHL, I wondered what they saw in him. But man the Sharks are good at drafting. Whenever they draft in top 10, they get a stud. The kid even looks like Roger Federer to me now.

I think Petey will be more like Pastrnak than Barzal. Barzal's first year production was due to Tavares taking on harder minutes. On the contrary, EP achieved .93 PPG without anyone really sheltering for him. I expect PPG from him this season, around 80-90 points.

He had 70% ozone starts....

Now I agree, I don't see a drop as he'll likely see similar deployment and the team around him (on paper anyway) is also improved. But to say he wasn't sheltered....

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He had 70% ozone starts....

Now I agree, I don't see a drop as he'll likely see similar deployment and the team around him (on paper anyway) is also improved. But to say he wasn't sheltered....

Ah, I meant sheltered as in going against easier opponents. Tavares drew the best dmen and best forwards, allowing Barzal to do his stuff. Even on PP, I think Barzal and Tavares were on the same PP but the opponents would have to guard Tavares, which frees up Barzal on the PP to make plays.

EP had a lot of ozone starts but he drew the opposition's best forwards/defence, especially starting from around 1/3 way in to the season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Ah, I meant sheltered as in going against easier opponents. Tavares drew the best dmen and best forwards, allowing Barzal to do his stuff. Even on PP, I think Barzal and Tavares were on the same PP but the opponents would have to guard Tavares, which frees up Barzal on the PP to make plays.

EP had a lot of ozone starts but he drew the opposition's best forwards/defence, especially starting from around 1/3 way in to the season.

Don't think that's entirely truthful either.

Haven't looked at any cold, hard numbers but on the road, its quite likely he saw his fair share of the oppositions better match up/shut down guys but Green, from what I recall, fed him as many ozone starts and lesser competition as he reasonably could. Just as we would have sent out Hovat and Beagle's lines against opposing teams better lines (and Sutter for the 3 games he was healthy :lol: ).

Make no mistake, he was most definitely sheltered, as much as Green could with Sutter's injury. By all means as he continues to get older, stronger and wiser, not to mention Boeser having a proper off season of training AND the stellar addition of Miller, that line should require less sheltering over time (one of the reasons Sutter likely becomes expendable as soon as this year). But Green's always going to lean towards somewhat sheltered deployment for his better offensive players, just as AV did with the Sedins. It simply makes too much sense to put your best offensive players in better offensive situations while allowing your better defensive players to take the wear and tear of furnishing those offensive situations.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Don't think that's entirely truthful either.

Haven't looked at any cold, hard numbers but on the road, its quite likely he saw his fair share of the oppositions better match up/shut down guys but Green, from what I recall, fed him as many ozone starts and lesser competition as he reasonably could. Just as we would have sent out Hovat and Beagle's lines against opposing teams better lines (and Sutter for the 3 games he was healthy :lol: ).

Make no mistake, he was most definitely sheltered, as much as Green could with Sutter's injury. By all means as he continues to get older, stronger and wiser, not to mention Boeser having a proper off season of training AND the stellar addition of Miller, that line should require less sheltering over time (one of the reasons Sutter likely becomes expendable as soon as this year). But Green's always going to lean towards somewhat sheltered deployment for his better offensive players, just as AV did with the Sedins. It simply makes too much sense to put your best offensive players in better offensive situations while allowing your better defensive players to take the wear and tear of furnishing those offensive situations.

Right. But I see that as the coach exploiting a match up advantage for playing at home rather than sheltering a player. I understand that it is a form  sheltering a player (from defensive assignments) but the point that I wanted to make was that EP was not sheltered from offensive responsibilities. For example, if you go on the ice after Tavares, when you have a bad game, the team can still win. If you step on the ice after Tavares, your responsibility to score is far less. If you are the go-to guy and you don't score, you lose. EP had to handle that responsibility all throughout the season. To me, that's not sheltering a player (from offensive assignments). This is why I think EP will not see a dip in his production.

But I do agree that he was sheltered from defensive assignments so that he can do more scoring. The same way that the Sedins were sheltered from defensive assignments so that their minutes can be used on scoring. Others can defend. But then, how many offensive forwards are not "sheltered"? Crosby, Bergeron, Toewes, Horvat... Mostly the 200 ft, two way players I guess. Even Gretzky would have been sheltered from defensive assignments if he played now.

And, in my opinion, high ozone start is only an indirect evidence of sheltering rather than it being an hard indicator of sheltering. Most of the game is played in a continuous manner so when EP steps on the ice for a line change, the opposition will send out the best they got, even when we are at home. So using a high ozone start to say that he rarely had to see the opposition's best at home is not quite true. And even when he gets ozone start, unless it's an icing, he would still see the best of the opponent.

• Upvote 4

Pettersson had his sophomore slump in the last third of his first year.  Fatigue with the long season must have played a role, but the league waking up to his threat and playing him tighter was also a big factor.  Petey will have to adapt to the tight checking. How well he adapts will determine whether he becomes a superstar or not.

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Despite his low weight, Petey's arms look pretty good.

I was thinking that myself. This kid is going to be something special if he keeps adding power to that frame of his.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, DJSkingz said:

I was thinking that myself. This kid is going to be something special if he keeps adding power to that frame of his.

For sure he didn’t have that muscle last season