The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Dang, that's not a small change. His body will definitely feel different next year. That's gotta be at least 10 pounds--maybe even 15.

With the 10lbs and switch from using goalie skate blade profiles he'll be a different player :lol:

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Pettersson does look more filled out in that photo. It was just a year ago when he was ready to join the Canucks. A tall, lanky, long neck, skinny-armed boy. Now he looks like a man. Neck doesn't look as long and skinny, arms (biceps and forearms) have more muscle. He seems to be very serious about improving himself and is very confident. He is a stoic player, but I think he's also emotional, and will get really p-off at times. I have a feeling Pettersson is going to be a player with some surprisng grit throughout his career. Maybe similar to Forsberg? He did take some bumps last year, but he's working on not having that done to him again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

With the 10lbs and switch from using goalie skate blade profiles he'll be a different player :lol:

This. If he can/did put on 10-15lbs of muscle, worked on his core strength plus the new skate blade profile he won't need anymore size to play his game.  He will be quicker and more stable - harder to knock off the puck. 

He seemed to fall down a lot last year reminiscent of the Sedin's early on.  They worked extremely hard on their fitness, edge work and core strength and boy did it make a difference. 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Borvat said:

This. If he can/did put on 10-15lbs of muscle, worked on his core strength plus the new skate blade profile he won't need anymore size to play his game.  He will be quicker and more stable - harder to knock off the puck. 

He seemed to fall down a lot last year reminiscent of the Sedin's early on.  They worked extremely hard on their fitness, edge work and core strength and boy did it make a difference. 

the upper body work should help him on face offs as well. He doesn't have to be Bo, but if he can get that 41% number up to something a bit more respectable thats going to help as well. I know the uber stats guys say that stat doesn't matter but I don't buy it. One of the reasons I'd like to see Miller on EPs line is Miller is a good face off guy, so that could be a good combo as Petey learns the skill. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Petey had a .93 in his first season. Now imagine if he didn't cool off due to the long season he is used too.

In the last 17 games (March + April) he had only 10 points (0.59p/g).

Take those 17 games out, he plays 54 games and registers, 56 points. Thats just over a point a game. 

I personally think he gets 82 points if he plays a full season. Funny thing is you have to consider the increase in points due to Hughes feeding him the puck, the potential LW that will be an upgrade on Goldobin/ fill ins he played with last year.

Also I know the kid had one of the best shooting percentages, but he ranked at approx 200 in the NHL for shots with 144. If he averages .5 shots more a game, which is reasonable IMO. That means 42 more shots, equaling approx 8 more goals. 

All in all, if he plays a full season he could get 80 points. But if he gets 90 to 100. I would not be surprised!

But realistically, lets say he plays 71 games again this year. I say he gets 35 goals, 45 to 50 assists. 

26 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Also I know the kid had one of the best shooting percentages, but he ranked at approx 200 in the NHL for shots with 144. If he averages .5 shots more a game, which is reasonable IMO. That means 42 more shots, equaling approx 8 more goals. 

Hopefully he increases his number of shots because in all likelihood his shooting percentage will drop

43 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

I saw this on Twitter.......what a difference!   

The bottom are the same, just different angles.  

It seems he's gained weight around the mid-section as well as his lower-body, which is probably where he needed to add the most. 

Still gotta work on his arms though but he's definitely heavier now. He's about the same size as the Sedins.